Anyone got Jelly Bean yet? Its supposedly going to be released this week on AT&T

Trigger73

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
If you need jelly bean that bad just root and flash it. Switch it back when the update comes out and update. I don't think arguing about it about is going to help it come out any faster. By length of some of the post you could of rooted/flashed and had jelly bean. The latest one is stable and working fine with no issues. Further more if not getting an update is going to make you not want your phone then give it to someone who is going to appreciate it. Just saying...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

rumba101

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I gt your point, I would love the update too. I just don't understand the sense of entitlement and utter despondency of some here, who expected anything different.

I HATE being kept in the dark! But only when I expected to be kept in the loop. When I bought the S3 on at&t, I knew what I was getting into because every info source worth its salt made it crystal clear there would be no regular updates due to carrier interference. I love my phone as is and am not pining away for the update.

If people expected regular updates or the circumstances to be any differently with an s3, they only have themselves to be disappointed in. Not the carriers.

Since you asked, the basic idea is that when cool new features that have been hyped are available FOR YOUR DEVICE, but just not on your carrier, that tends to bother people. It is like being just one block away from some arbitrary line that says those one one side of the line get $1,000,000, and if you are on the other side, even if by one foot, you get nothing. If no one had the update, it wouldn't be nearly as bad as when most of the world has it, but because of CARRIERS and not Samsung, we are stuck waiting.

No one enjoys being kept in the dark and told "wait here, we will let you know when you will be allowed in", with zero knowledge or updates on how long it may take, or why you are forced to wait in the dark with zero information. I don't know about you, but most people HATE being kept in the dark.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I think people have every reason to say they expect updates. It's not a matter of entitlement. It's simply an expectation of good service in exchange for big bucks paid to carriers.
I came to Android from years with iPhone. Like choices with Android but there are two big flaws that if they continue will long keep Apple healthy - - great customer service and regular updates generally distributed to all devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone here would be so concerned if Jelly Bean wasn't available virtually to everyone else in the world minus us(and Verizon). If Samsung has it ready, then we all should have it. It would be nice if updates went through Samsung since this is their device. I hate seeing the AT&T boot screen when my device boots up. People may say that iOS is a walled garden of sorts, but at least every iOS device is hands off to anyone but Apple!

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Sense of entitlement....as in, when others have the update but we do not, and they didn't pay extra for the update? We are not talking about a situation where we want an update that is not available for our device here, we just want what others have already been given. Yes, AT&T and Verizon are well known for being very slow to release updates, but that doesn't mean we should just sit back and accept the situation either. If an update is ready, it is ready, and Samsung SHOULD be able to bypass the carriers and give us an update via Kies, even if not OTA.

Now, if Samsung didn't have the update ready to go, then I would agree with you about unrealistic expectations, but Jelly Bean was promised by Samsung months ago, and being annoyed with the true source of the delay IS fair. Regular updates I don't expect beyond the release of Jelly Bean, but once an expectation has been set by the manufacturer, the expectation SHOULD be met.
I gt your point, I would love the update too. I just don't understand the sense of entitlement and utter despondency of some here, who expected anything different.

I HATE being kept in the dark! But only when I expected to be kept in the loop. When I bought the S3 on at&t, I knew what I was getting into because every info source worth its salt made it crystal clear there would be no regular updates due to carrier interference. I love my phone as is and am not pining away for the update.

If people expected regular updates or the circumstances to be any differently with an s3, they only have themselves to be disappointed in. Not the carriers.

jlindsey.stu

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I think people have every reason to say they expect updates. It's not a matter of entitlement. It's simply an expectation of good service in exchange for big bucks paid to carriers.
I came to Android from years with iPhone. Like choices with Android but there are two big flaws that if they continue will long keep Apple healthy - - great customer service and regular updates generally distributed to all devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I too come from the iOS ecosystem and I must say that the one thing that drives me back and forth between android and iOS is updates. I believe that android/samsung/google could give themselves a major edge over iOS if the update process improved.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Actually it is right to be upset at the carriers, I never expected updates to be as fast as iOS, but they should be given within a reasonable amount of time... U have to admit that 3+ months late of an update is a bit nerve wrecking... I can understand they need to do with their bloatware and other crap, but it is the carriers duty to satisfy their customers, whether they are eager for updates or not, and AT&T is not having a good reputation for it. I applause Sprint and T-Mobile for doing their job in satisfying their customers with reasonable released updates, but AT&T is not doing so well. I really hope taking this long, we get 4.1.2. I just want the features of Jelly Bean, I want Google Now mostly but I do not want to root my phone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
In response to the people who say to just root our phones if we want Jelly Bean, why should we HAVE to do that just to get what is on devices on other carriers. As I mentioned previously, Key Lime Pie may drive me to rooting if and only if Samsung isn't planning on releasing that update for the S3. Again, the real issue is that many would rather not root their phones unless there is a pressing need for it, such as there being no plan for a major update from the carrier.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If someone really wants Jelly Bean, then hear over to XDA and get it. Some may say that those ROMS aren't official or there are always bugs with them. To that, I counter, "Have you seen the AT&T updates? " IMO, the nightly updates from AOKP and CM10 developers are light years ahead of AT&T and Verizon. I get a new update every night and most of the time with new features. It is like Christmas every single day. Screw the carriers!

Quick question how do I flash the night lie files and do my data get erased??

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Tatonks1013

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
i am honestly disappointed with att. I really wanted this update. When I had the Iphone updates came out very fast. But with this i dont think ill ever get this update. I think after my contract is up im going to a different carrier cause this is BS. Sprint has it and so does t mobile. This is very frustrating and i am very upset.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Matter fact I do need help I keep getting an error 7 message every time I try to install the night lies update

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
If you need jelly bean that bad just root and flash it. Switch it back when the update comes out and update. I don't think arguing about it about is going to help it come out any faster. By length of some of the post you could of rooted/flashed and had jelly bean. The latest one is stable and working fine with no issues. Further more if not getting an update is going to make you not want your phone then give it to someone who is going to appreciate it. Just saying...

Several of us have explained this at length, we shouldn't have to, we have rooted tried a JB ROM and found stock ICS was better. No one's arguing so much as we are doing what you are supposed to do in a forum: discuss topics. I know I don't want to lose features I use just to get JB when I've been told "it's coming in x" since summer. Further more, it's like you guys don't even bother to read the thread posts before calling someone "entitled" or assuming no one's rooted and found it over rated. ALL this has been went over and explained but you and Rumba101 just had to come in telling us how we're spoiled with our first world problems, looking rather bratty yourselves. It wasn't so much you with the name calling but you implied it clear enough. If someone's promised updates then they don't get them yet other people on different carriers with the same phone do: it pisses people off and rightly so. They have every reason to complain. Not a hard concept to grasp you'd think but here we are eh? Should we also pay for whomever's service after we give away our phones too? Just wondering since that "brilliant" idea was thrown out. If you don't like what's being discussed it's really easy to jump to another thread. ;) I do it everyday, without looking like an ass.

Dragonman585

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
This whole issue about software updates is the reason why I hope the Nexus 4 is successful. If it succeeds then phone makers and carriers will be forced to push updates more quickly in order to compete.

rnauth1418

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Att not updating their phones to the latest software is highly irresponsible and demeaning to their customers

Trigger73

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Several of us have explained this at length, we shouldn't have to, we have rooted tried a JB ROM and found stock ICS was better. No one's arguing so much as we are doing what you are supposed to do in a forum: discuss topics. I know I don't want to lose features I use just to get JB when I've been told "it's coming in x" since summer. Further more, it's like you guys don't even bother to read the thread posts before calling someone "entitled" or assuming no one's rooted and found it over rated. ALL this has been went over and explained but you and Rumba101 just had to come in telling us how we're spoiled with our first world problems, looking rather bratty yourselves. It wasn't so much you with the name calling but you implied it clear enough. If someone's promised updates then they don't get them yet other people on different carriers with the same phone do: it pisses people off and rightly so. They have every reason to complain. Not a hard concept to grasp you'd think but here we are eh? Should we also pay for whomever's service after we give away our phones too? Just wondering since that "brilliant" idea was thrown out. If you don't like what's being discussed it's really easy to jump to another thread. ;) I do it everyday, without looking like an ass.

Obviously you didn?t read my post correctly. All I was saying is that Jellybean 4.1.2 is already out and functioning just fine. Nowhere in my post did I attack anyone or used words like "entitled, spoiled" etc. Yes I understand some people are rooted and have tried JB and didn?t like it. In my opinion you buy the phone as is carriers aren?t required to send out updates and any update you get is a privilege. I could be wrong. If I am then please correct me. No you shouldn?t have to pay for the service if you give your phone to someone else. I?m sure a soldier overseas wouldn't mind having a $600 none updated smart phone to call home to his family. I guess the idea doesn?t sound as stupid as you try to make it sound. It might actually be a "brilliant" idea. Lastly, I do like what?s being discussed in this forum and I?m entitled to my opinion without a horrible attempt by you to insult others. If you don?t like it you should practice what you preach and troll on to another thread because now sir, you do look like an "ass".:p

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been using JB on my Asus TF700 tablet and I love it. One of the many cool feature is, when you pressed on a small link or pressed an area outside of a link, it will auto zoom in and popup the closest links for you to select.

Here is another updated post about JB is coming this week on AT&T S3: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update Arriving This Week On AT&T? - iTechPost

Mine does that n I don't have jb yet.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
What I I don't understand is, WHY DOES ANYONE CARE ??? :confused: :major rolleyes:

What's the big deal? Why the big anxious, panting fever to upgrade your phones OS? :confused: . . . As if life itself depended on it. :rolleyes: As if life itself depended on when you get the JB update? :rolleyes:

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't live my life through my phone tracker. :rolleyes: I don't walk through life, everyday, with my phone tracker practically glued to my hand, like so many of this planets sheeple-humans-huphones do nowadays. :rolleyes: Never have. Never will.
Moreover, after using a GS3 and reading bits & pieces on this AC forum for the last month . . . I've yet to see a single screenshot of JB that looks nicer or more appealing visually, than ICS 4.0 TW ! In fact, every single screenshot of JB that I've seen? looks less visually appealing, and less interesting. :rolleyes, again:
So I for one don't plan on updating to JB, and will wait and see what (Key Lime Pie?) looks like, a little further on down the road.

And I repeat, what's the big deal ??? :confused: Are there some great techno advances with JB that have rendered it to be so worthy of being so coveted; so anticipated; so indispensable, therefore causing so many sheeple to be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nervously & anxiously needful of it . . . . that perhaps I haven't heard about??? :rolleyes, again, and again:

Kinda reminds of that ol' JD (John Denver) song Blow Up Your TV's. :p More and more sheeple-humans-huphones need to set their phones trackers down, and take a look around. :rolleyes: There's lots and lots of life out there everyday, choke-full of incredibly far-out & beautiful natural wonders. If you don't stop and set your phones trackers down once in a while . . . you might just miss it.

We care because That's how we are. I want the absolute BEST android experience I can possibly have.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance