Anyone got Jelly Bean yet? Its supposedly going to be released this week on AT&T

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
First of all, AT&T is not a communication company. It sells us products that allow US to communicate, but AT&T itself is not in the business of communicating anything other than ads and press releases.

None of the carriers tell us when to expect updates, except in general terms.

So Sprint and T-Mobile got their updates out faster. Could that be because they only have about one third of the models that AT&T and Verizon have...meaning they have fewer phones to push updates for?

Maybe we're getting 4.1.2. Maybe they're trying to solve the battery plummet issue. Maybe they have a ton of employees taking vacation to be with their families. Maybe the person in charge of this update is dealing with an illness or family crisis.

And I think it's pretty obvious why they don't let us know when to expect updates. They likely don't know how long it will take. And if they announce a date and then encounter a problem that pushes the release a couple weeks, then they have a bunch of impatient loudmouths screaming their heads off, saying "you promised it would be out two weeks ago...you suck." At that point, they have to announce reasons for the delay, which costs money and still won't quiet the masses. It's better for them to just keep their mouths shut and go about their business.

Businesses like AT&T can't afford to release a bad update. Bad press. Returned phones. Call centers blowing up with calls. A bad update would cost the company millions. To avoid those unnecessary expenses, they have quality processes in place: procedures, checklists, integration & testing. They have a cycle of testing, debugging, fixing, deploying, and testing again. Every glitch they find starts the cycle over again. It takes a LOT of time to do this.

And once you realize that AT&T has probably two to three times the number of phones to update that Sprint or T-Mobile do, it's not surprising that we're still waiting.

If you think it's so easy to develop and push a working update, I invite you to download the Android code from Google and create your own ROM. All the tools are there for you.

Sent from my Pebble Blue SGS III.

Good post. AT&T doesn't have the legion of followers like Apple and can't afford an Apple Maps debacle. They actually test their software releases, unlike some of their competition.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Ironic that JB might be released by AT&T just in time for the GS4 release date announcement. GS4 is rumored to be released with JB.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

I am pretty sure the GS4 will be released with Key Lime Pie or atleast 4.2

camarodemon

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Im sick of at&t being slow and not keeping us in the loop on what is happening i think im going to stick with the nexus devices from now on so i dont half to wait for updates

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
The galaxy s3 is perfectly fine on ics if at&t or any other decided to not update it to jellybean,relax guys lol.

Sent from my awesome HTC one x:)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No. Klp won't launch with the s4. Just like the sgs3 didn't launch with jb. That is if they keep the same time line as last year. Introduce it in Feb. Release in june/July. Klp will not be introduced until June. Not enough time to get it on the s4.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

zooguitar

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I got killed on this forum for posting the exact same complaints about my GS1 (Captivate) not getting Gingerbread after months of broken promises. The patronizing attitude of "don't disrespect Samsung; they're busy to deal with you" by the paid Samsung trolls on this blog is really getting annoying.

The fact of the matter is that Samsung does not make the kind of profit from their devices that Apple does, which means it has less incentive to encourage users to extend the life of their purchased hardware.. They are barely charging cost for their smartphones/tablets and have a lot of wasted inventory that sits on shelves. Those 2 issues are a ticking time bomb. They're hoping they can tear down Apple in market position before the bomb goes off, which would force them to scale back. It's basically a ponzi scheme in one sense.

The only customers worth anything to Samsung are paying customers, and they consider legacy users of the GS1 or GS2 (both of which are the same age as the iPhone 4 and 4s, respectively) to be freeloaders not worth acknowledging.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Jelly Bean needs to happen, I was VERY CLOSE to buying a Note II today, but AT&T was out of the color I wanted. I'll take that as a sign that it's not meant to be :p

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The difference here is that virtually all carriers except for three of them have released the Jelly Bean update. So our device has the update, but we have carriers getting in the way HERE.

I got killed on this forum for posting the exact same complaints about my GS1 (Captivate) not getting Gingerbread after months of broken promises. The patronizing attitude of "don't disrespect Samsung; they're busy to deal with you" by the paid Samsung trolls on this blog is really getting annoying.

The fact of the matter is that Samsung does not make the kind of profit from their devices that Apple does, which means it has less incentive to encourage users to extend the life of their purchased hardware.. They are barely charging cost for their smartphones/tablets and have a lot of wasted inventory that sits on shelves. Those 2 issues are a ticking time bomb. They're hoping they can tear down Apple in market position before the bomb goes off, which would force them to scale back. It's basically a ponzi scheme in one sense.

The only customers worth anything to Samsung are paying customers, and they consider legacy users of the GS1 or GS2 (both of which are the same age as the iPhone 4 and 4s, respectively) to be freeloaders not worth acknowledging.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Customer loyalty, that's where they make their money. Not the phones but you're monthly bill and then when you renew your contract. They make pennies off of actual phone sales.

It's one in the same. Either you get a subsidized price and pay for it via your monthly bill or you buy the phone outright and still pay the same monthly fee. Either way, they make money when you buy a phone.

My point is that issuing an update costs them money and they recoup NOTHING on that update. And the "customer loyalty" thing is laughable. The number of people they may lose because of slow updates is practically nothing. It's still not cost effective to issue an update. And for that small sliver of population that may jump ship looking for another carrier has these options available:

1. Verizon: Much more expensive (for one or two lines) and even more slow with updates. Plus, they have CDMA backhaul, which is slower than AT&T's HSPA backhaul.
2. Sprint: Absolutely rotten cell coverage. Worst of the big 4. Little LTE.
3. T-Mobile: Terrible coverage and no LTE.
4. MVNO: Which use Sprint, T-Mobile, or AT&T infrastructure...meaning you'll either get horrible coverage or use a service that pays AT&T anyway.

Most people who puff up their chests and threaten to leave AT&T will probably compare the competition and stay with AT&T anyway. I was all set to switch to Verizon until they changed their pricing scheme and it would have cost me a lot more to switch.

The bottom line is that issuing updates to phone Operating Systems costs them far more money than they'll make back on the update. It's the same for all carriers. Each one likely has one team of two or three people updating the software to work specifically with their infrastructure and testing/fixing until it's ready. If you think that they care whether or not a couple thousand people leave because of slow updates, you're fooling yourself. The vast majority of their customers don't know the difference and don't care. And for every person that leaves AT&T because they didn't push an update fast enough, they gain one from Verizon for the exact same reason.

Our numbers are small and they don't have to cater to us to be successful. Spending extra money to keep a few thousand (if even that many) people happy is a bad business decision.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea,Verizon folk haven't received the 4.0.4 update with the brightness slider in the n. bar. At least you guys are getting some attention. :)

Sent from my awesome HTC one x:)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
The difference here is that virtually all carriers except for three of them have released the Jelly Bean update. So our device has the update, but we have carriers getting in the way HERE.

LOL...there are five carriers that have this phone. Two have issued the update, three have not. Two carriers out of five constitutes "virtually all carriers"???

The carriers are not getting in the way. Samsung releases the source code for the phone, but the carriers have to add in the code to make the phone work with their specific infrastructure. Of course T-Mobile is fast about it...they don't have that pesky LTE thing to worry about (so they have less code to integrate). And Sprint is on an all-out blitz to gain and retain customers, probably losing money with each OS update and new tower they install. They're in "invest in the future" mode.

Every decision is based on one thing: money. AT&T will update this phone because it's wildly popular and a lot of people have it. But when the update finally comes out, 99%+ of owners will be surprised to see it (i.e., they won't expect it). AT&T doesn't care about the ~1% that will get mad about how long it took. They see the 99% of happy customers and call it a win.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
LOL...there are five carriers that have this phone. Two have issued the update, three have not. Two carriers out of five constitutes "virtually all carriers"???

The carriers are not getting in the way. Samsung releases the source code for the phone, but the carriers have to add in the code to make the phone work with their specific infrastructure. Of course T-Mobile is fast about it...they don't have that pesky LTE thing to worry about (so they have less code to integrate). And Sprint is on an all-out blitz to gain and retain customers, probably losing money with each OS update and new tower they install. They're in "invest in the future" mode.

Every decision is based on one thing: money. AT&T will update this phone because it's wildly popular and a lot of people have it. But when the update finally comes out, 99%+ of owners will be surprised to see it (i.e., they won't expect it). AT&T doesn't care about the ~1% that will get mad about how long it took. They see the 99% of happy customers and call it a win.

Are you kidding, or being facetious? 2 Carriers in the US + almost all of Asia, and Europe have Jelly Bean. AT&T is dragging their feet because they know they're the #2 carrier in the US, and they can get away with it. Hell, even the note II on AT&T has it so we know it's compatible.