Anyone got Jelly Bean yet? Its supposedly going to be released this week on AT&T

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Discussing the subject is one thing. Continuous whining about not getting your way is a different story.

(I'm not pointing my finger at you. I can't keep track of who has been btching the most. It was just something that stuck out in this thread.)

Well I know you weren't talking about me, I'm fine for right now, just got ICS yesterday. There is always gonna be ing and moaning on all android forums about AT&T upgrades because they are always so long. The Captivates just got Gingerbread a few months ago and the one thing that T-Mobile did well was to get the software updates out there quickly. Seems to me AT&T would be one of the first getting the updates out there, but it seems every device that gets updated is always late on AT&T.

At least they are keeping the complaining about it in one thread, which is what they are supposed to do. :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
After my dumb AT&T rep yesterday, I got a good one today. I have used so much data setting up my new phone and downloading all my apps. I'm close to going over my data and they sent me a text that it would be $10 if I go over. I called to see if I just needed to add a GB or if it would just roll on there when I went over. The rep said he would just give me a $20 credit and that way I didn't have to worry about my data being over.

Again, something T-Mobile would have never done, no matter how long we had been with them.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Wow. There are a lot of impatient people acting like children in this thread.

AT&T has always been slow to release phones and even slower to release updates. If you need to make sure that your phone will be updated right away, buy a Nexus device. Complaining on a public forum is doing absolutely nothing when it comes to getting the update released.

Lol actually it could...I am pretty sure some AT&T reps are on here watching and taking notes

lavrishevo

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been on the Galaxy Note 2 port and the newest version is working really well. Like it a lot. Plus you get some of the s pen functionality and other features that would not be on the S3 version. Works well.

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
After my dumb AT&T rep yesterday, I got a good one today. I have used so much data setting up my new phone and downloading all my apps. I'm close to going over my data and they sent me a text that it would be $10 if I go over. I called to see if I just needed to add a GB or if it would just roll on there when I went over. The rep said he would just give me a $20 credit and that way I didn't have to worry about my data being over.

Again, something T-Mobile would have never done, no matter how long we had been with them.

Do u not have Wi-Fi anywhere?

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

ikjadoon

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
There are a LOT of clueless people out there. It is very possible they think 4.1.2 is 4.2 since other carriers are releasing 4.1.1 as their JB release.

Did you look at all the evidence? I've copied/pasted it here:

AT&T Live Rep
You: do you have any information when the 4.1 software will be released for this device
Brian Zaricor: Actually, I do know that the update for the device is in the process of being released soon, but has not been fully announced as to a date for it will actually be getting the 4.2 update instead, and they are making sure that everything is working properly for the update before releasing it.
You: So they are skipping the 4.1 update all together? does that mean its a long ways off?
Brian Zaricor: Actually, it is close to being released for all devices that are getting the update, with the S III being one of them. They are working to make sure that the last touches are good to go before releasing something that may have some issues with it. That way you are able to fully able to use the device with ease.

AT&T corporate employee (internal memo, a week ago):
Att has just announced wednesday that jellybean 4.2os is being released in the very near future.

@ATTCustomerCares (official Twitter handle):
4.2OS Update for Galaxy III is available from Android. AT&T will have the update available for customers in the very near future.

Fellow from XDA:
I spoke with 2 different reps last night on the live chat thing & they both told me that it was gonna be 4.2. I even asked both of them 2 times "Are you sure it's gonna be 4.2 & not 4.1.2?" & both of them told me that it would be 4.2.
--

I'm usually pessimistic about updates, but this all matches up a little too well for everyone to be confused, I think.

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

AT&T Live Rep
You: do you have any information when the 4.1 software will be released for this device
Brian Zaricor: Actually, I do know that the update for the device is in the process of being released soon, but has not been fully announced as to a date for it will actually be getting the 4.2 update instead, and they are making sure that everything is working properly for the update before releasing it.
You: So they are skipping the 4.1 update all together? does that mean its a long ways off?
Brian Zaricor: Actually, it is close to being released for all devices that are getting the update, with the S III being one of them. They are working to make sure that the last touches are good to go before releasing something that may have some issues with it. That way you are able to fully able to use the device with ease.

Att has just announced wednesday that jellybean 4.2os is being released in the very near future.

4.2OS Update for Galaxy III is available from Android. AT&T will have the update available for customers in the very near future.

Fellow from XDA:
I spoke with 2 different reps last night on the live chat thing & they both told me that it was gonna be 4.2. I even asked both of them 2 times "Are you sure it's gonna be 4.2 & not 4.1.2?" & both of them told me that it would be 4.2.
--

I'm usually pessimistic about updates, but this all matches up a little too well for everyone to be confused, I think.

I wonder if That's why us cellular is taking so long too.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I've talked to support before as well, and was told something clearly incorrect when it came to the version numbers. It is POSSIBLE, but just because you ask "are you sure about...", does not mean the rep isn't blowing smoke up your butt and just trying to satisfy the customer.

AT&T Live Rep

Fellow from XDA:
--

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...DKB415621%23fbid%3DXes6kChi9Co&token=r7Mavfps

Well, I eat my words. A typo probably occurred in the original memo (too many people posted 4.2 consecutively for them all to be blowing smoke) that convinced them it was 4.2.

Thanks for the reason, Targon. :)

I would LOVE to be wrong and for the update to end up being 4.2, but I have my doubts. The big difference between 4.1 and 4.2 in the first place is updates to the native Android apps in some cases, and adding features such as beaming video(which Samsung Allshare Cast already does). If Samsung provides its own solution for features that are in 4.2, there will be less of an incentive for Samsung to push out updates JUST for those features. There are a few other tiny improvements in 4.2 that could make their way to the S3, but I wouldn't count on seeing 4.2 and expect that 4.3 or 5 or whatever the next big update will be would show up instead.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

AT&T Live Rep

Fellow from XDA:
--

Thats very interesting....I think AT&T should have made a statement about this publicly instead of leaving everyone wondering in the dark

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thats very interesting....I think AT&T should have made a statement about this publicly instead of leaving everyone wondering in the dark

The updates to Gmail are the only worthwhile updates the GS3 will actually see. They need to quit making excuses, and just release JB, and update the rest later.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
This will be worth the wait. I've used 4.2 and it will make one of the best devices out there even better.

What differences are there between a stock S3 with 4.1.2 and 4.2 are there? This is what I was saying in my last post. 4.2 over 4.1 seems to be MOSTLY about adding functionality that Samsung had already put in custom additions to provide. I understand that 4.2 over 4.0.4 will be a very big improvement, but once we get the official JB update to 4.1.2, will 4.2 seem like a big deal to us?

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
What differences are there between a stock S3 with 4.1.2 and 4.2 are there? This is what I was saying in my last post. 4.2 over 4.1 seems to be MOSTLY about adding functionality that Samsung had already put in custom additions to provide. I understand that 4.2 over 4.0.4 will be a very big improvement, but once we get the official JB update to 4.1.2, will 4.2 seem like a big deal to us?
Off course not, but AT&T wants to make it look like they're doing us a favor by holding out on 4.1 for 4.2. There must be some political reasons why they're keeping the update from us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz