Long time Iphone user - Converted to Droid - Need guidance

marines079

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I am a long time Iphone user who jailbroke every phone I had. I know NOTHING of the droid community but decided to go with the galaxy s3 on ATT instead of the Iphone 5.

Was it a good choice?

Should I keep the stock rom if I plan to root? (and just remove bloatware until this new jellybean update comes out soon I hope)

What is the point of rooting? is it the exact same reasons as jailbreaking?

I am going to buy this - SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC (Micro SD Card) 10 Class

Is there a better SD card out there? Do I have to reformat it any special way or just plug and shove movies on that biotch?

Thanks guys!!!

ThatGuyLurkin

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Your going kinda big there with that,SD card :p

Rooting is fun if you can follow the rules the right way. It's fairly straight forward and easy, just read warnings.

I would stay on stock for some time before you decide to root. I usually root within a weak. Then I Rom it a day after root.

It is a good choice, one of the hottest devices out there. Good camera, quality, OS, support, and devs.

Also, can a phone read a 64GB, or does the S lll support 6GB?

And lastly, welcome to the community!

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Your going kinda big there with that,SD card :p

Rooting is fun if you can follow the rules the right way. It's fairly straight forward and easy, just read warnings.

I would stay on stock for some time before you decide to root. I usually root within a weak. Then I Rom it a day after root.

It is a good choice, one of the hottest devices out there. Good camera, quality, OS, support, and devs.

Also, can a phone read a 64GB, or does the S lll support 6GB?

And lastly, welcome to the community!

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Yes phones can read 64gb sd cards that's the max that the gs3 supports

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I am a long time Iphone user who jailbroke every phone I had. I know NOTHING of the droid community but decided to go with the galaxy s3 on ATT instead of the Iphone 5.

Was it a good choice?

Should I keep the stock rom if I plan to root? (and just remove bloatware until this new jellybean update comes out soon I hope)

What is the point of rooting? is it the exact same reasons as jailbreaking?

I am going to buy this - SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC (Micro SD Card) 10 Class

Is there a better SD card out there? Do I have to reformat it any special way or just plug and shove movies on that biotch?

Thanks guys!!!

I just switched from iphone too, I jail broke mostly for theming, bitesms and sbsettings I have something comparable to all 3 without root. Also if you decide to try launchers check out go launcher it reminds me of the cleaness of ios

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
With the iPhone, you are REALLY locked down, so you can't install any app that is not approved by Apple. From that perspective, you almost NEED to jailbreak to get the most out of the iPhone. That is not the case with Android, since you really can do most things without the need to root the phone. With that said, here is my own perspective on it as a somewhat newer Android convert(from webOS)...

Jelly Bean(Android 4.1) is due "soon", though no one knows just how long it will take. If you want the official release, you MAY want to stick with the stock experience until Jelly Bean officially comes out. There are reasons to stick with the stock phone, including of course, staying covered by the warranty. And, for some people, there will be reasons to install a different firmware anyway. The big thing is that the major Android phone makers all have customizations over the base "Android". Touchwiz is what Samsung puts on devices, and that is the experience you get with the S3. There are others out there as well that make the phone feel a bit different, even when both are running Ice Cream Sandwich(Android 4.0). Think of it like a set of tweaks and changes to try to improve the "feel" of Android over stock Android. Some people dislike these changes, so rooting and installing a different firmware would allow you to get a "regular Android" experience. Others just want to be able to tether without paying extra(for those with unlimited data plans for example), so going with a custom firmware image may get you around that sort of limitation.

I personally love the S3 as a device, and except for not having Jelly Bean yet, I have been very happy with my purchase. Getting a newer version of Android without having to wait for AT&T to sign off on it first would be the main reason for ME to root, since I am happy with the stock experience on my S3. But, some people feel a need to experiment to try getting the most out of any device, while others like myself are happy to wait. There MAY be problems if you root but then try getting the official Jelly Bean update once it comes out as well, which is why I personally am waiting.

I can't help with the MicroSD card since I have not bothered getting one yet. The 16GB is enough for my own needs at this point. You SHOULD be able to just use the card without doing anything special.

marines079

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Targon, So you're suggesting wait to root the phone until the update comes out to avoid problems. I'll do that.

What email client do you guys use? The default email client suckSSssss.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Targon, So you're suggesting wait to root the phone until the update comes out to avoid problems. I'll do that.

What email client do you guys use? The default email client suckSSssss.

Yes it does so I switched it to GMail so now all my Google crap is synced. Considering Sprint's S3's just got JB I think we'll see it this coming week or next.

mikelliott

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I too just switched from iPhones to GSIII and I am loving it. Unfortunately I made the decision after I bought the iPhone 5 and now I will be listing it on eBay along with my older iPhone 4. I love this bigger screen so much I am thinking about the Note 2. My wife bought one for her boss so I was able to play with it one night and compare it side by side with the GSIII.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Good thing about iPhones is that they go for big money on ebay. My wife and I had iPhones since the 3g and always sold the old ones on eBay, always made $ plus some to get a new phones and accessories.

soulflux

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
In the same boat, just jumped into the android world and it has been a learning experience, nothing bad, I just spend to much time changing things.. I also feel like I get confused on which button does what, swipe down for notifications, button for home screen, app drawer, back button, etc. Not really complaining just not use to it, so I find myself somewhere I don't mean to be. I enjoy the play store but it feels dated in the app store coming off the iPhone, however I like the way movies and music are handled over iTunes. Another issue is finding replacements for some apps kinda sucks, but so far I haven't hit a brick wall on finding a replacement. I know this sounds negative but I'm having a lot of fun with it!

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
In the same boat, just jumped into the android world and it has been a learning experience, nothing bad, I just spend to much time changing things.. I also feel like I get confused on which button does what, swipe down for notifications, button for home screen, app drawer, back button, etc. Not really complaining just not use to it, so I find myself somewhere I don't mean to be. I enjoy the play store but it feels dated in the app store coming off the iPhone, however I like the way movies and music are handled over iTunes. Another issue is finding replacements for some apps kinda sucks, but so far I haven't hit a brick wall on finding a replacement. I know this sounds negative but I'm having a lot of fun with it!

I feel the same way it's going to take some getting used to

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user