Cyanogen (or FoxHound) vs. Stock Galaxy S3

DeathByBFG

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Good Afternoon Everyone!

So I have my phone rooted and I'm pondering flashing it with a custom ROM. What are some of the differences between the stock Galaxy S3 ROM vs other ROMs such as FoxHound or Cyanogen? Or I guess I should ask, what would I lose by using a custom ROM? Also, what are some ways I can avoid permanently bricking my Galaxy S3? I would love to not do that. :)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I believe the only thing you lose when using a custom rom are OTA (Over The Air) updates, so you will not be able receive new OTA updates on your phone unless you flash another rom.
You also lose all Samsung features (Kies Air, WiFi Direct, All Share, and possibly gestures and all "Smart" features (Smart Screen, Smart Stay, etc.))

daflake

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe the only thing you lose when using a custom rom are OTA (Over The Air) updates, so you will not be able receive new OTA updates on your phone unless you flash another rom.
You also lose all Samsung features (Kies Air, WiFi Direct, All Share, and possibly gestures and all "Smart" features (Smart Screen, Smart Stay, etc.))

This is pretty much spot on. I have tried carious ROMS and have had minor issues with each one.

AOSP - I didn't like the "swagger" garbage and had some apps crashing.
Liquid Smooth - Much better but also had some crashing apps, mainly Chrome.
Cyanogen - Rock solid except Bluetooth. For some reason using their "stable" build, Pandora sounds like it is only play through two channels on my car radio. ICS works fine. I tried re-installing several times and had the same thing every time, so it is the build.

Bottom line is that when moving to a ROM, you have to expect that not all things will function properly. However, if you work with the developers, they should be able to resolve your problems.