Group messaging

rnauth1418

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I am having a pretty annoying messaging issue. When I send a text message to multiple recipients several things happen:
1. The message gets sent to each recipient individually. They do not get send as a complete thread to all recipients.
2. When people reply to the thread, the messages go into the individual persons text thread.

This is very annoying. Fortunately the att messaging app does not have this issue. However the app is very buggy and the interface is very inefficient and convoluted. I would like to make the stock message app work or use a good third party app. Note: go pro sms does not work at solving this issue.

All help is appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

undertothenight

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I have not found a way around. My friend discovered it on accident when she replied to a mass picture message. She then proceeded to receive text message after text message asking who this is lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rnauth1418

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That's really awesome (I'm being very sarcastic). I seriously don't understand why this is such an issue for a flagship phone with such a wide spread operating system.

tdsweetwheels

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The only android i have seen that does it with the stock messaging app is the motorola Atrix 1,2 and HD. Why this isnt standard on every android phone is beyond me, as it can be done with Iphons, Windows phones, and even the blackberrys, and it is stock on them not an app.

schreiby

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
i tried the att messaging app. its ok but i dont get the led notifications anymore when i get a text and the screen is off.
any ideas on a fix or workaround?
thanks.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It's funny yesterday I was in a group message and started getting replies from people I never even talked to... I looked at my brothers iphone and saw that his group messaging was more organized showing everybody in the group but the GS3 sends out individual texts from each person... Is there a better app that can do this?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
This is a definite drag. This issue, and pic's coming through as a slide show is a definite "black eye" for the GSIII.
These issues are by no means a reason to not use the GSIII (for me anyway) but it does suck that "less tech sophisticated" devices do it but the GSIII doesn't.
I bet an app dev could make a ton of $$$ developing an app that would copy all recipients in a group txt and send multiple pic's as pic's and not a slide show (wink**wink)

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I am brand new to android and really missing the imessage/group messaging iphone has. So far the best one I can find is handcent. Still laggy but you can meessage photo without a link like gosms

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Your having this problem with text messages or picture messages? The picture message issue is with all phone. DO NOT SEND GROUP PICTURE MESSAGES!!!!! It's very dangerous. Lol

studmule

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Go SMS Pro does group messaging for me pretty well. It will sometimes get bogged down if several people are sending to the same group thread at once, but it works better than the stock messaging app for group texting.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Go SMS Pro does group messaging for me pretty well. It will sometimes get bogged down if several people are sending to the same group thread at once, but it works better than the stock messaging app for group texting.

Really how? I have GoSMS and still getting each member of a group in their own chat window...not in one chat window like its supposed to be

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I like handcent better. It doesn't use links for photos and can handle my daily group chats wth friends. Go sms was good but I want my pics I send embedded not a link

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I like handcent better. It doesn't use links for photos and can handle my daily group chats wth friends. Go sms was good but I want my pics I send embedded not a link

Will handcent send multiple pix as well as let groups reply in a thread?

sent from my GSIII from AC Forums

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean about multiple pics? I have my iPhone imessage friends that I talk to daily on a group thread. I send photos and thy send photos because we are all out is state. I do not have to have a link to see pics and everything is in one message nicely. Go sms had links when I wanted to send pics which is a deal breaker for me

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean about multiple pics? I have my iPhone imessage friends that I talk to daily on a group thread. I send photos and thy send photos because we are all out is state. I do not have to have a link to see pics and everything is in one message nicely. Go sms had links when I wanted to send pics which is a deal breaker for me

Can you send multiple pix in 1 message? I'm a contractor and txting pix is a valuable tool.

sent from my GSIII from AC Forums

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Really how? I have GoSMS and still getting each member of a group in their own chat window...not in one chat window like its supposed to be
Did you enable message grouping in the application settings? It works fairly well for me, but can sometimes be a little slow in associating the message into the group text.

Unfortunately this is not just a GS3 issue it is a general Android issue as, aside from Motorola, none of the OEM's seem to be building this functionality into the stock messaging apps. I wonder if there is a patent or other reason why the OEM's don't support it. That said most of the OEM stock apps suck anyway and Samsung is the worst as their app still looks like it was designed for Froyo.

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Drayek yes you can send multiple pics in one thread on handcent

To the other person sorry I cannot remember now they I'm typing. I did enable group message on go sms. That wasn't the issue, it was that whenever I sent photos they weren't embedded but rather Sen a link to the receiver which is tacky. Handcent embeds the actual photo like iPhone

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Did you enable message grouping in the application settings? It works fairly well for me, but can sometimes be a little slow in associating the message into the group text.

Unfortunately this is not just a GS3 issue it is a general Android issue as, aside from Motorola, none of the OEM's seem to be building this functionality into the stock messaging apps. I wonder if there is a patent or other reason why the OEM's don't support it. That said most of the OEM stock apps suck anyway and Samsung is the worst as their app still looks like it was designed for Froyo.
Yeah It has been on, but I did nto start the group message. My cousin started it from her iphone and added my brother and I. On my brothers phone, it still showed as a group, all being on one chat window, but mine I got their separately on different windows, as if each one was texting me separately each time

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah It has been on, but I did nto start the group message. My cousin started it from her iphone and added my brother and I. On my brothers phone, it still showed as a group, all being on one chat window, but mine I got their separately on different windows, as if each one was texting me separately each time

That's so annoying. Definitely something I miss from my iPhone

Sent from my Red GS3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463