Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

Default Re: gs3 gps sucks. 3rd phone same problem

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Daniels View Post
    No prob. I've always had good luck with Motorola. My droid x GPS worked like a charm. I have met several others with this same issue. Sounds like they may be sweeping it under the rug. No worries though. Razor maxx hd is a solid phone. Wife has one with no GPS issues(that's what we have been using).

Thanks all!
    One last bit that I would toss out there, if you are using a phone as an emergency device when you hike, you might want to avoid rooting it and leave it at stock. I'm an out doors person as well, and I would hate to see you have issues with a device when you were trying to use it in an emergency situation. Good luck with the new phone!

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

No prob. I've always had good luck with Motorola. My droid x GPS worked like a charm. I have met several others with this same issue. Sounds like they may be sweeping it under the rug. No worries though. Razor maxx hd is a solid phone. Wife has one with no GPS issues(that's what we have been using).

Thanks all!
    There is no "sweeping it under the rug" because of forums like these. If there was a widespread GPS problem with the S3, we would have known about it before your first post.

"Thanks all!"? I guess its time to sweep this whole thread under the rug.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Check the forums... at least 2 dozen threads with the same issue. 3 phones for me exhibiting the same problem is no coincidence. I use the GPS 8 to 10 hours a day for work May just be excessive heavy use.

If Verizon told me it was a big issue then no offense I believe it more than you.

Also... I'm a android dev with several apps in the appstore so I'm not just some ***** who knows nothing as you have suggested in the past.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Check the forums... at least 2 dozen threads with the same issue. 3 phones for me exhibiting the same problem is no coincidence. I use the GPS 8 to 10 hours a day for work May just be excessive heavy use.

If Verizon told me it was a big issue then no offense I believe it more than you.

Also... I'm a android dev with several apps in the appstore so I'm not just some ***** who knows nothing as you have suggested in the past.
    I have never suggested that you were/are an *****. I'm very tempted to respond in a witty way bit I'm not cruel. Good luck with your SGS3 and it's mysterious GPS issue. Hopefully, you'll discover something which will benefit us all.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

Note that you are using a Verizon version of the S3 and posting in the AT&T Galaxy S3 forum. Verizon has had issues with other devices in the past with GPS, including the Palm Pre Plus where the AT&T version did not. It could very well be something that Verizon puts on phones then, and would explain why EVERYONE here with an AT&T version has not seen GPS problems as an issue.

Basically, people complain about things like bloatware on phones, but they SHOULD be more concerned with Verizon screwing up because their navigation software breaks the phone.

Te GPS didn't work on the stock Rom. I only flashed the Rom and rooted after the issues. The problems started before I did anything to the phone.

Also remember, the first two phones could not get a lock on any satellites. To this day I can't get a lock onto any satellites. Its fine Verizon has acknowledged the issue as widespread and is giving free replacements. I was offered a free upgrade to a razor hd Maxx. I have had the Samsung ominia and my buddy had an s 2.. and I always remembered Samsung devices having GPS flaws. Stoked to get rid of this phone and get the maxx. Having 3 GPS fail out of the box and having several Verizon reps telling me they have had and seen the issue widespread!
    Thanked by:

No matter how good I am with computers I will NEVER root a cell phone because even some of the best roots/roms can damage the phone. I've seen it all too often on various forums and then the owners get screwed because it voids the warrenty.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

To set the record straight, I didn't notice that this was an ATT S3 forum. My VZW S3 is working just fine with GPS. Has been since July. I don't expect that to change! :-)

Mine has completely capped out now too. Pissed.

Sent from my Red GS3

Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    Mine has completely capped out now too. Pissed.

Sent from my Red GS3

You did root yours also if I remember correctly from other posts? Just seems like this is happening with rooted phones.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zapfrog View Post
    You did root yours also if I remember correctly from other posts? Just seems like this is happening with rooted phones.
    It worked after clearing out some settings. But, the op also said that his first two phones had the same problem and they were stock...

Sent from my Red GS3

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

Rooting should not kill the gps. There is something else going on here.

Of course the Verizon theory could be true. We had Verizon years and years ago and nothing but issues here in CT so we left them and went back to ATT where we've had no issues. It has worked for me flawlessly for two months now but I do carry a dedicated GPS unit.

Of course the Verizon theory could be true. We had Verizon years and years ago and nothing but issues here in CT so we left them and went back to ATT where we've had no issues. It has worked for me flawlessly for two months now but I do carry a dedicated GPS unit.
    Lol I'm originally from CT. But I'm on ATT having these problems in Philly. I have to be completely out doors which is a little annoying when trying to geotag photos, in say instagram. But as long as I can actually navigate ill hold onto the phone rather than try to return it for another.

Sent from my Red GS3

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

Maybe you guys are holding it wrong
    rexxman and daflake like this.

have verizon s3. navigation works great

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Nicole,

Just FYI, this is how my problem initially began. My GPS would randomly not find any satelites unless I cleared out the maps Cache, or deleted any updates.

Also, I think I may have found the issue. I use the Phone for several hours a day, and have my phone plugged in using a car charging port. My phone was getting pretty hot while using the GPS, and I'm wondering if the prolonged use, and constant charging may have burned out the GPS in all three devices. I am shocked if that's the case... but I'm wondering if it could be a structural issue with the GPS due to overheating... thoughts?

It's a verizon charger, but I'm using one of those outlet converters that you plug into a power socket.

I'm getting my 4th phone, and will avoid using a charger in the car... see if that takes care of it, will let you all know. Thanks for the input.

Having been a victim of the flawed Galaxy s2 GPS, I was very leary about the gps on the s3. I have 1 Verizon and 3 At&t s3's - completely stock - and all 4 have great gps performance - h even indoors. I expected Samsung to issue more gps issues with the s3 but that hasn't been the case. I find it hard to believe 3 stock s3's have had gps issues.

Having been a victim of the flawed Galaxy s2 GPS, I was very leary about the gps on the s3. I have 1 Verizon and 3 At&t s3's - completely stock - and all 4 have great gps performance - h even indoors. I expected Samsung to issue more gps issues with the s3 but that hasn't been the case. I find it hard to believe 3 stock s3's have had gps issues.
    Luck of the draw. There are enough posts that pop up in a Google search of people complaining that suggests its a fairly widespread issue.

Sent from my Red GS3

Nicole,

Just FYI, this is how my problem initially began. My GPS would randomly not find any satelites unless I cleared out the maps Cache, or deleted any updates.

Also, I think I may have found the issue. I use the Phone for several hours a day, and have my phone plugged in using a car charging port. My phone was getting pretty hot while using the GPS, and I'm wondering if the prolonged use, and constant charging may have burned out the GPS in all three devices. I am shocked if that's the case... but I'm wondering if it could be a structural issue with the GPS due to overheating... thoughts?

It's a verizon charger, but I'm using one of those outlet converters that you plug into a power socket.

I'm getting my 4th phone, and will avoid using a charger in the car... see if that takes care of it, will let you all know. Thanks for the input.
    I use an ATT charger I got from Amazon but no converter and I haven't noticed any heat issues. Hmmm...I would try changing the charger because faulty chargers can damage phones just look at some of the chargers for the iPhone 5 and what they did.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

I use an ATT charger I got from Amazon but no converter and I haven't noticed any heat issues. Hmmm...I would try changing the charger because faulty chargers can damage phones just look at some of the chargers for the iPhone 5 and what they did.
    We will see. I got my 4th S3 today. I agree, I can see getting 1, or even two faulty GPS's (seeing Samsung's history of Bad GPS's), also, all these replacements are refurbs... so they could have had the same issue when the were brought in.

My new phone is set up, and GPS is working great as it did on the other 3 phones. I'll keep in touch over the next month to let you know if the charger was the culprit. Love this phone, would hate to have to switch.

We will see. I got my 4th S3 today. I agree, I can see getting 1, or even two faulty GPS's (seeing Samsung's history of Bad GPS's), also, all these replacements are refurbs... so they could have had the same issue when the were brought in.

My new phone is set up, and GPS is working great as it did on the other 3 phones. I'll keep in touch over the next month to let you know if the charger was the culprit. Love this phone, would hate to have to switch.
    Did you change chargers?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

Did you change chargers?
    Yes,

I have an Official car charger, and will not use the power inverter since that seemed to make the phone hot. I Got a new battery, no root, stock rom. I run 5 miles a day, and I'm taking screen shots of map my run to document the degrading of the GPS (If it occurs again). Will post an update in about a month, since that's about the length of time that the GPS's worked on the other 3 phones.

Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

My first s3 had amazing GPS. Then I dropped it and broke the screen. The replacement unit GPS is crap. After nearly 3 months I called today and they are sending me a new device.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Love Droid

Te GPS didn't work on the stock Rom. I only flashed the Rom and rooted after the issues. The problems started before I did anything to the phone.

Also remember, the first two phones could not get a lock on any satellites. To this day I can't get a lock onto any satellites. Its fine Verizon has acknowledged the issue as widespread and is giving free replacements. I was offered a free upgrade to a razor hd Maxx. I have had the Samsung ominia and my buddy had an s 2.. and I always remembered Samsung devices having GPS flaws. Stoked to get rid of this phone and get the maxx. Having 3 GPS fail out of the box and having several Verizon reps telling me they have had and seen the issue widespread!
    Samsungs have a GPS flaw?? No they don't. I only buy Samsung, won't take something else for free and have only bought Samsung for years now, I've never had a GPS problem with one single phone.
    20blks likes this.
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    Samsungs have a GPS flaw?? No they don't. I only buy Samsung, won't take something else for free and have only bought Samsung for years now, I've never had a GPS problem with one single phone.
    You clearly never owned a Captivate. Beautiful form factor, but you're more likely to get better GPS reception from a loaf of bread than from the phone. The GPS in my GS3 is spot on all the time.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast