gs3 gps sucks. 3rd phone same problem

Chad Daniels

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Te GPS didn't work on the stock Rom. I only flashed the Rom and rooted after the issues. The problems started before I did anything to the phone.

Also remember, the first two phones could not get a lock on any satellites. To this day I can't get a lock onto any satellites. Its fine Verizon has acknowledged the issue as widespread and is giving free replacements. I was offered a free upgrade to a razor hd Maxx. I have had the Samsung ominia and my buddy had an s 2.. and I always remembered Samsung devices having GPS flaws. Stoked to get rid of this phone and get the maxx. Having 3 GPS fail out of the box and having several Verizon reps telling me they have had and seen the issue widespread!

Chad Daniels

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
This. I don't see how none of us have issues but 3 phones later you do OP? It has to be the custom rom.. Even though you went back something messed up in the process. I'd maybe talk with Skunkape (on these forums) to see if he can assist with getting you back to stock fully.. To fix gps
Only had the custom Rom on the third phone. I only put it on to see if I could fix the issue. Verizon told me it's a widespread issue with the phone. And offered me a free upgrade to the razor hd maxx. Never had much luck with Samsung.... looks like this time didn't fair any Better

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

daflake

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Te GPS didn't work on the stock Rom. I only flashed the Rom and rooted after the issues. The problems started before I did anything to the phone.

Also remember, the first two phones could not get a lock on any satellites. To this day I can't get a lock onto any satellites. Its fine Verizon has acknowledged the issue as widespread and is giving free replacements. I was offered a free upgrade to a razor hd Maxx. I have had the Samsung ominia and my buddy had an s 2.. and I always remembered Samsung devices having GPS flaws. Stoked to get rid of this phone and get the maxx. Having 3 GPS fail out of the box and having several Verizon reps telling me they have had and seen the issue widespread!

Spoke to a buddy of mine that works at Verizon and he told me that this there is no such known issues. Sounds like they are just trying to smooth you over as a customer. Sorry you are having problems, but my GPS has been working great.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm try resetting the phone? Also if u climb on mountains I wouldn't be too surprised if it doesn't pick up. Mine works all the time perfectly... Is it in a specific area that it stops working? Or everywhere?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Chad Daniels

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Spoke to a buddy of mine that works at Verizon and he told me that this there is no such known issues. Sounds like they are just trying to smooth you over as a customer. Sorry you are having problems, but my GPS has been working great.

No prob. I've always had good luck with Motorola. My droid x GPS worked like a charm. I have met several others with this same issue. Sounds like they may be sweeping it under the rug. No worries though. Razor maxx hd is a solid phone. Wife has one with no GPS issues(that's what we have been using).

Thanks all!

daflake

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
No prob. I've always had good luck with Motorola. My droid x GPS worked like a charm. I have met several others with this same issue. Sounds like they may be sweeping it under the rug. No worries though. Razor maxx hd is a solid phone. Wife has one with no GPS issues(that's what we have been using).

Thanks all!

One last bit that I would toss out there, if you are using a phone as an emergency device when you hike, you might want to avoid rooting it and leave it at stock. I'm an out doors person as well, and I would hate to see you have issues with a device when you were trying to use it in an emergency situation. Good luck with the new phone!

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks all!

There is no "sweeping it under the rug" because of forums like these. If there was a widespread GPS problem with the S3, we would have known about it before your first post.

"Thanks all!"? I guess its time to sweep this whole thread under the rug.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Chad Daniels

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Check the forums... at least 2 dozen threads with the same issue. 3 phones for me exhibiting the same problem is no coincidence. I use the GPS 8 to 10 hours a day for work May just be excessive heavy use.

If Verizon told me it was a big issue then no offense I believe it more than you.

Also... I'm a android dev with several apps in the appstore so I'm not just some idiot who knows nothing as you have suggested in the past.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Check the forums... at least 2 dozen threads with the same issue. 3 phones for me exhibiting the same problem is no coincidence. I use the GPS 8 to 10 hours a day for work May just be excessive heavy use.

If Verizon told me it was a big issue then no offense I believe it more than you.

Also... I'm a android dev with several apps in the appstore so I'm not just some idiot who knows nothing as you have suggested in the past.

I have never suggested that you were/are an idiot. I'm very tempted to respond in a witty way bit I'm not cruel. Good luck with your SGS3 and it's mysterious GPS issue. Hopefully, you'll discover something which will benefit us all.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Note that you are using a Verizon version of the S3 and posting in the AT&T Galaxy S3 forum. Verizon has had issues with other devices in the past with GPS, including the Palm Pre Plus where the AT&T version did not. It could very well be something that Verizon puts on phones then, and would explain why EVERYONE here with an AT&T version has not seen GPS problems as an issue.

Basically, people complain about things like bloatware on phones, but they SHOULD be more concerned with Verizon screwing up because their navigation software breaks the phone.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
No matter how good I am with computers I will NEVER root a cell phone because even some of the best roots/roms can damage the phone. I've seen it all too often on various forums and then the owners get screwed because it voids the warrenty.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
To set the record straight, I didn't notice that this was an ATT S3 forum. My VZW S3 is working just fine with GPS. Has been since July. I don't expect that to change! :)

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You did root yours also if I remember correctly from other posts? Just seems like this is happening with rooted phones.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

It worked after clearing out some settings. But, the op also said that his first two phones had the same problem and they were stock...

Sent from my Red GS3

daflake

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Rooting should not kill the gps. There is something else going on here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Of course the Verizon theory could be true. We had Verizon years and years ago and nothing but issues here in CT so we left them and went back to ATT where we've had no issues. It has worked for me flawlessly for two months now but I do carry a dedicated GPS unit.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Of course the Verizon theory could be true. We had Verizon years and years ago and nothing but issues here in CT so we left them and went back to ATT where we've had no issues. It has worked for me flawlessly for two months now but I do carry a dedicated GPS unit.

Lol I'm originally from CT. But I'm on ATT having these problems in Philly. I have to be completely out doors which is a little annoying when trying to geotag photos, in say instagram. But as long as I can actually navigate ill hold onto the phone rather than try to return it for another.

Sent from my Red GS3