Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default gs3 gps sucks. 3rd phone same problem

Hi guys

I do a ton of backpacking and need a GPS. This is my 3rd device, and all 3 of them have the same issue. The GPS works for a while but after about three weeks then it will start to fail.

It makes navigation unusable. Any idea of any fixes. Like I said this is my 3rd device and all have been the same. Help please. The Verizon reps have noted my issue and are stumped.

Default Re: gs3 gps sucks. 3rd phone same problem

I too used to use the gps in phones for hiking/geocaching but let's face it the gps in any cell is going to suck compared to a dedicated hand held gps. Today's smart phones are meant to do a ton of different tasks packed into a small thin device while a dedicated unit like my Garmin has all its power and antenna is dedicated to one task.

I will say that the s3 does perform extremely well with Google Navigation and it's turn by turn directions, a whole hell of a lot better than the Motion X app.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Daniels View Post
    Hi guys

I do a ton of backpacking and need a GPS. This is my 3rd device, and all 3 of them have the same issue. The GPS works for a while but after about three weeks then it will start to fail.

It makes navigation unusable. Any idea of any fixes. Like I said this is my 3rd device and all have been the same. Help please. The Verizon reps have noted my issue and are stumped.
    Mine sucks too and it's a bummer because I use it ALL the time. I discovered it was my case blocking signal. Idk how since it was just plastic and leather but since I've changed cases I'm getting stronger signals all around and my gps works more consistently

Sent from my Red GS3
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

You don't understand. It worked flawlessly when I got it. A few weeks later add it won't lock into any satellites. GPS status and GPS toolbox don't work. I took it to Verizon and they can't figure it out. Set it next toothed floor model. The floor model locked on to 10 satellites mine couldn't find any.

Verizon agreed to let me switch to another phone.. what's a good replacement for this piece of carp. I can't even use navigation.

You don't understand. It worked flawlessly when I got it. A few weeks later add it won't lock into any satellites. GPS status and GPS toolbox don't work. I took it to Verizon and they can't figure it out. Set it next toothed floor model. The floor model locked on to 10 satellites mine couldn't find any.

Verizon agreed to let me switch to another phone.. what's a good replacement for this piece of carp. I can't even use navigation.
    I understood that yours just stopped working, I was just sharing a similar experience.

Sent from my Red GS3

Not a piece of crap, look around you'll find complaints on just about every phone out there. Mine works just fine, maybe Verizon should replace it with another GS3.

I can say my Sprint one seems to work. I've had the phone since day 1 (just about) and any time I need directions it helps me get there. The only issue is the map loading slow sometimes but that's just Sprint 3g .

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

I've had my S3 for 4+ months and GPS has been great. 3 phones and still having GPS problems? Guessing it's not the phone but I wonder what it might be? Bad luck? How you doing in the Lottery? :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

Have you tried rebooting the phone fully? What about rooting, have you done it? What app(s) are you using to check the GPS status?
    Artichoke likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Targos
    Thanks for an actual suggestion instead of criticizing. My phone was rooted and with a custom Rom. I hard reset and run a stock Rom. I have disabled vz nav. Cleared maps cache deleted all updates. I've used GPS status to clear the data and download assistance... nothing.

My phone just says searching for GPS and has a flashing cursor in it.

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

Might have gone better here if you had said up front you were rooted and running a custom rom. Maybe the rom is crap, not the phone.

Kelly Kearns likes this.

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

You're saying it still failed after a hard reset to factory settings/ROM?

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

My guess is the ROM as well. I used my S3 for the last three weeks with no problem. GPS is working great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Correct. Stock rom... not rooted GPS still can't connect. 3rd s3 same problems.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by rexxman View Post
    Might have gone better here if you had said up front you were rooted and running a custom rom. Maybe the rom is crap, not the phone
    I did... thanks for the useless advice.

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I have had 3 sgs3s on different carriers an no issues at all

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

PBKC

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

Correct. Stock rom... not rooted GPS still can't connect. 3rd s3 same problems.
    But this is after you rooted it, installed a custom ROM, deleted GPS based bloatware, took it back to stock, maybe fiddled some more...? Just trying to see how something seemingly impossible happened. If you got three in a row that were bad out of the box, I'm a flying midwife.

Quote Originally Posted by BBrefugee View Post
    But this is after you rooted it, installed a custom ROM, deleted GPS based bloatware, took it back to stock, maybe fiddled some more...? Just trying to see how something seemingly impossible happened. If you got three in a row that were bad out of the box, I'm a flying midwife.
    This. I don't see how none of us have issues but 3 phones later you do OP? It has to be the custom rom.. Even though you went back something messed up in the process. I'd maybe talk with Skunkape (on these forums) to see if he can assist with getting you back to stock fully.. To fix gps.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

Targos
    Thanks for an actual suggestion instead of criticizing. My phone was rooted and with a custom Rom. I hard reset and run a stock Rom. I have disabled vz nav. Cleared maps cache deleted all updates. I've used GPS status to clear the data and download assistance... nothing.

My phone just says searching for GPS and has a flashing cursor in it.
    You need to keep in mind that running a custom firmware(can't really call it ROM can you?) could potentially damage the device due to voltages being set too high and such(which can be controlled by the OS settings). This is why rooting a phone DOES tend to void the warranty. I've had my own AT&T S3 for a couple of months now and the GPS has worked flawlessly, though I have not used it continually for an extended time. I suppose if you ran some software that continually polled the GPS that it COULD have a negative effect and damage the GPS.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Te GPS didn't work on the stock Rom. I only flashed the Rom and rooted after the issues. The problems started before I did anything to the phone.

Also remember, the first two phones could not get a lock on any satellites. To this day I can't get a lock onto any satellites. Its fine Verizon has acknowledged the issue as widespread and is giving free replacements. I was offered a free upgrade to a razor hd Maxx. I have had the Samsung ominia and my buddy had an s 2.. and I always remembered Samsung devices having GPS flaws. Stoked to get rid of this phone and get the maxx. Having 3 GPS fail out of the box and having several Verizon reps telling me they have had and seen the issue widespread!
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    This. I don't see how none of us have issues but 3 phones later you do OP? It has to be the custom rom.. Even though you went back something messed up in the process. I'd maybe talk with Skunkape (on these forums) to see if he can assist with getting you back to stock fully.. To fix gps
    Only had the custom Rom on the third phone. I only put it on to see if I could fix the issue. Verizon told me it's a widespread issue with the phone. And offered me a free upgrade to the razor hd maxx. Never had much luck with Samsung.... looks like this time didn't fair any Better

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

Te GPS didn't work on the stock Rom. I only flashed the Rom and rooted after the issues. The problems started before I did anything to the phone.

Also remember, the first two phones could not get a lock on any satellites. To this day I can't get a lock onto any satellites. Its fine Verizon has acknowledged the issue as widespread and is giving free replacements. I was offered a free upgrade to a razor hd Maxx. I have had the Samsung ominia and my buddy had an s 2.. and I always remembered Samsung devices having GPS flaws. Stoked to get rid of this phone and get the maxx. Having 3 GPS fail out of the box and having several Verizon reps telling me they have had and seen the issue widespread!
    Spoke to a buddy of mine that works at Verizon and he told me that this there is no such known issues. Sounds like they are just trying to smooth you over as a customer. Sorry you are having problems, but my GPS has been working great.

Hmmm try resetting the phone? Also if u climb on mountains I wouldn't be too surprised if it doesn't pick up. Mine works all the time perfectly... Is it in a specific area that it stops working? Or everywhere?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by daflake View Post
    Spoke to a buddy of mine that works at Verizon and he told me that this there is no such known issues. Sounds like they are just trying to smooth you over as a customer. Sorry you are having problems, but my GPS has been working great.
    No prob. I've always had good luck with Motorola. My droid x GPS worked like a charm. I have met several others with this same issue. Sounds like they may be sweeping it under the rug. No worries though. Razor maxx hd is a solid phone. Wife has one with no GPS issues(that's what we have been using).

Thanks all!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast