switching from iPhone 4 to Galaxy S3 today (on ATT)

nagyg

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Today I should get my new Galaxy S3. Very nervous that I have made the right decision :-X

I have read countless iPhone/S3 comparisons and articles about switching. What I have not been able to find: a Forum dedicated to iPhone to Android converts. Does anyone know one?

Also, my biggest worry is with what I will replace AIRPLAY. I have 2 airport express connected to my AVSs and I use them all the time to stream PANDORA or podcasts from my iPhone. I have seen a couple of ANDROID apps for AIRPLAY on GooglePlay, but the user reviews are mostly negative. Did anyone get this to work on the S3?

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Today I should get my new Galaxy S3. Very nervous that I have made the right decision :-X

I have read countless iPhone/S3 comparisons and articles about switching. What I have not been able to find: a Forum dedicated to iPhone to Android converts. Does anyone know one?

Also, my biggest worry is with what I will replace AIRPLAY. I have 2 airport express connected to my AVSs and I use them all the time to stream PANDORA or podcasts from my iPhone. I have seen a couple of ANDROID apps for AIRPLAY on GooglePlay, but the user reviews are mostly negative. Did anyone get this to work on the S3?

Never used those apps, but you certainly made the right decision. The SGSIII is the best phone that i've ever owned.:D

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why Apple has Airplay. When I had my iPhone I never used it but instead used the Bluetooth tech to play stuff on a Logitech speaker I have and sharing pics with other devices. Plus a lot of tv's and other home electronics are wifi and Bluetooth capable for sharing, playing, etc. so the need for AirPlay goes out the window.

nagyg

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I have airport expresses connected (for S99 each) to AVSs via TOS-LINK. It is very simple: start any music/radio app on the iPhone andyou get a choice to stream to the airport express instantly and flawlessly ... I am using it all the time. AIRPLAY is one of the best features Apple has to offer.

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to know the answer to this too. I also have airport expresses around my house and use it for whole home audio without wires. I was ok without my iPhone until my Mac mini died. Now I gave no way to get music to my speaker system :-(

As for why there is no iPhone S3 forum its because people get too emotional about each device. Neither side can admit to flaws or better features in the competing device lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

There is this thread, 'to help get over the unfamiliarity'; it's 'a how-to guide to adapt after using an iphone.' Thanks again to va1ha11a (who I quoted above) for sharing it with me when I first joined here at AC. :)

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
My SG3 still cooperates perfectly with my Jawbone Jambox. For everything else, there's my iPad, and MacBook Pro. I made the switch back in June, and have no regrets. As heavily invested user in iOS(Still am with my iPad) Let me know if you have any questions, will try to answer as best I can.

nagyg

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
6 days with Android - and I loved it! The operating system is outstanding and more appealing than IOS, where - unless you are jailbroken - you are at Apple's mercy (and I have come to view Apple as "evil" - they are more and more becoming one of those patent trolls, stifling innovation).

The Galaxy S3 screen size is perfect. I think Apple made a huge mistake by not increasing the screen size seriously. Also,if they had, they could have spared their customers the connector desaster ...

The Galaxy S3 has a perfect feel to it - all that talk about Apple using better materials is nonsense.

I found quite a few of the Android versions of applications superior to the IOS versions.

I missed Airplay, but decided that the pros of the Galaxy S3 outweighed that.

Still, tomorrow I will grudgingly return the S3 for an iPhone 5. Why?

In the last years my phone has become my main camera, and the S3's camera is terrible!! I cannot live with that. :-(

:-( :-( :-(

Last edited:

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
6 days with Android - and I loved it! The operating system is outstanding and more appealing than IOS, where - unless you are jailbroken - you are at Apple's mercy (and I have come to view Apple as "evil" - they are more and more becoming one of those patent trolls, stifling innovation).

The Galaxy S3 screen size is perfect. I think Apple made a huge mistake by not increasing the screen size seriously. Also,if they had, they could have spared their customers the connector desaster ...

The Galaxy S3 has a perfect feel to it - all that talk about Apple using better materials is nonsense.

I found quite a few of the Android versions of applications superior to the IOS versions.

I missed Airplay, but decided that the pros of the Galaxy S3 outweighed that.

Still, tomorrow I will grudgingly return the S3 for an iPhone 5. Why?

In the last years my phone has become my main camera, and the S3's camera is terrible!! I cannot live with that. :-(

:-( :-( :-(

Then you got a bad one. I honestly don't get why people are saying it's a terrible camera. Video after comparison video have shown it to be a great camera on par if not better than the iPhone camera. Review after review and comparison photo after comparison photo have proven this.

My wife had the iPhone when I got my SG3 and after taking our own comparison photos they were virtually the same. Even tried them both in the ATT store and....the same.

I think people are just making excuses, sorry not buying it.

My main camera is a Nikon D7000 but thats beside the point ;)

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but the S3 camera is not on par with the iPhone 5 camera. Maybe the 4S. I have both the S3 and iPhone 5 here and the iPhone wins in camera aspect. especially Geo tagging photos. If you don't give the S3 about 10 secs before capture the location is always wrong. With the iPhone I can pull and and shoot and my location is spot on. I have this problem with every Android phone. But if you want the best camera phone on the market then go with iPhone 5. The Nokia 920's camera was over hyped. Go to the windows forum and see how they say the iPhone 5's camera is better.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I have with the camera is the "shutter" speed isn't fast enough. I realize it doesn't have a real shutter but the least bit of motion causes blur.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Viraj Puri

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have switched from 4S to S3. If you have any google stuff on your iPhone, all of it will automatticaly be on your SGS3. For AirPlay I have doubleTwist and Airsync by DoubleTwist. DoubleTwist is like a music player for sgs3, and it can do airplay over wifi. It does it very well for me. AirSync by doubletwist allows you to sync all your itunes music from your computer to your SGS3 wirelessly :). Also the camera as people have said previously, is not AS GOOD as the iphone but the front camera is mostly better. Unless you are a photographer or someone who LOVES taking pictures you might want this, but if you really wanted a good camera you might as well just get a nokia lumia 920 or a nokia 808 pureview with a 41 MP CAMERA!!!!!. it still shoots very well as i love the features of it such as burst shot, panaroma, and you can have different effects, and when it gets 4.2 jelly bean it will have 360 panorama. And everything else is wonderful, the design, the size of 4.8 inches (although if you have small hands you might not like it) but if you feel the size is too big use it for 1-2 weeks as you will get easily adjusted to it. This phone is just amazing. ANd the screen has a resolution of 1280 x 720 with SUPER AMOLED and the display is super colorful and vibrant, and since its a 16:9 ratio, you will have full screen which makes videos a HECK OF A LOT BETTER!. Hope this has helped.

nagyg

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Unless you are a photographer or someone who LOVES taking pictures you might want this, but if you really wanted a good camera you might as well just get a nokia lumia 920 or a nokia 808 pureview with a 41 MP CAMERA!!!!!. it still shoots very well as i love the features of it such as burst shot, panaroma, and you can have different effects, and when it gets 4.2 jelly bean it will have 360 panorama. And everything else is wonderful, the design, the size of 4.8 inches (although if you have small hands you might not like it) but if you feel the size is too big use it for 1-2 weeks as you will get easily adjusted to it. This phone is just amazing. ANd the screen has a resolution of 1280 x 720 with SUPER AMOLED and the display is super colorful and vibrant, and since its a 16:9 ratio, you will have full screen which makes videos a HECK OF A LOT BETTER!. Hope this has helped.

I also have a big SLR, but I rarely use it, taking pics with my phone instead. I also look at them mostly on the phone (on long flights when I am too brain dead to do anything else) - currently I have about 2000 pics on my camera. So my need for a camera with very good color reproduction is probably a rather unusual request.

Attached are some samples I took with my old iPhone 4 and the Galaxy S3 (resized in Photoshop - only the colors bothered me). Maybe mine had a bad camera, but the people at BestBuy didn't think so ...

I returned the S3 for an iPhone 5 yesterday. Besides the camera and the fact that the screen of the iPhone appears to be somewhat brighter than the one of the S3, the S3 (and Android) beats the iPhone 5 hands down. Too many things to list. Playing with the S3 for a week was very cool. It has many features and apps I thought were phantastic, e.g. Google Navigation (today I used Apple's nav app to drive from Miami Airport to Marcos Island - it is really bad!), Swift 3, MX Player, Tasker, the return key, having the settings right in an app, being able to swap the battery, use an external SD card, the big screen (!!!!!!), etc., etc..

Going back to the iPhone felt terrible. I hope that Samsung puts a better camera into the S4.

If taking photos is low on your list of features, don't hesitate to make the switch to Android. It takes a little while to get the hang of it, but once you do you will never look back!

(In case you wonder: For watching movies the S3's black levels and vibrant colors are clearly better than on the iPhone 5.)

Attachments

• I4_1.jpg
    I4_1.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 45
  • S3_1.jpg
    S3_1.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 44
  • I4_2.jpg
    I4_2.jpg
    590.1 KB · Views: 43
  • S3_2.jpg
    S3_2.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 44

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not really seeing an issue here. The SIII pictures you have provided look to be of excellent quality for a smartphone. Especially if you have an SLR(I'm guessing though it's not digital since you didn't specify DSLR?) The Camera on the iPhone 5 is best in class, but that's where it ends really. iOS is about as stale as it gets really. No customization, and the static grid of icons hasn't changed since iOS 1! As someone with 2 Macs, Apple TV, 4 of the 6 iPhone models(got an S3)instead of iPhone 5, 3 of the 4 iPad models(Didn't upgrade to the very latest 4th gen iPad), I can honestly say that there is nothing that iOS can do that I can't do just as easily on my S3. Even the concern that I would be breaking the iCloud connectivity between my Macs, iPhone, and iPad isn't really there. With my iPhone, the only real bonus to iCloud was the fact that apps, and music would sync to all of my devices. Having pictures sync isn't a big deal to me because there's always e-mail, picasa, and/or dropbox. For me I like having new features added to my phone each time I upgrade. And getting a half an inch over the iPhone 4S, and a slightly faster processor in the A6 over the A5 doesn't constitute as a groundbreaking update to me. Especially in their redesign when Jony Ive said "We've re imagined the phone from the ground up." When really they've just stretched out the 4S a little. Sorry for the long rant, but hopefully you make the right decision, and chose the phone that is better suited for you.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Are the first pics in each series the S3's? If so I don't see a problem, the second series are very washed out. Yes Googles GPS navigation kicks some serious ass. Is the app not available on the iPhone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad