S3 on ATT prepaid/gophone

derekent

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
you can take the sim from your go phone and put it in the S3, after you trim it down a bit to micro sim card size. Then you have to change the APN setting on the S3 phone so you can get internet access, but once you do this, you will get 4G service, fast as . Now the only thing locked is the ability to use the S3 as a mobile wifi hotspot. You can use PDAnet to make a usb tethered hotspot, but I want a wifi one. Anyone find a workaround?

A_Fenderson

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
How do they do this determining/flagging as a smartphone: through some foolproof digital footprint a smartphone sends when it connects to the network, or through data usage profiling or similar?

wickedcontra

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
this might not answer the question, if you use an att phone on straught talk, you can use the att hot spot, i do it all the time on my s3 on straight talk.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
How do they do this determining/flagging as a smartphone: through some foolproof digital footprint a smartphone sends when it connects to the network, or through data usage profiling or similar?
I don't know, they just know. This isn't new technology. Years ago I bought a T-Mobile phone off Ebay when I was with T-Mobile and T-Mobile Customer Care knew I was using and new phone and what type. I had to call for customer service a few months later and before I could tell them what kind of phone I had, they told me.

Maybe it's through the MAC address or the IEMI number.

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, they just know. This isn't new technology. Years ago I bought a T-Mobile phone off Ebay when I was with T-Mobile and T-Mobile Customer Care knew I was using and new phone and what type. I had to call for customer service a few months later and before I could tell them what kind of phone I had, they told me.

Maybe it's through the MAC address or the IEMI number.
IMEI number is one way, there are several others though.

jford09

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I had a cheap gophone with ATT that has a dataplan. Then I bought a Galaxy S3 and looked up how to cut my SIM card down to fit so I could keep my number and plan. Everything is functioning properly in my S3 except data. I can text, use calling features but I can not get the data to work. What can I do?