Kies - and "firmware update" problem

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, after laboring mightily to even get Kies to talk to my GS3 via USB cable, I finally succeeded.

Now, its all connected, and I see this:

Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies.

Current firmware version: PDA:LH9 / PHONE: LH9 / CSC:LH9 (ATT)

So what's up with that??? Looks like I'll be unable to update to JB when it arrives via Kies, will have to wait for OTA???

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The working theory is that Kies will support upgrading once there is an update for our S3 so they know what you are upgrading to. With no update available, the message doesn't matter.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
The working theory is that Kies will support upgrading once there is an update for our S3 so they know what you are upgrading to. With no update available, the message doesn't matter.

Stole the words right outta my mouth dude :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Interesting "working theory." Color me skeptical! :)

I hear you about SyncMate being better, but I don't the firmware updates will work over SyncMate since they come from Samsung/carrier, will they? That's the main reason I've been going through the pain and anguish of trying to get Kies to work.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Interesting "working theory." Color me skeptical! :)

I hear you about SyncMate being better, but I don't the firmware updates will work over SyncMate since they come from Samsung/carrier, will they? That's the main reason I've been going through the pain and anguish of trying to get Kies to work.

Well, people with the original S3 could update via Kies when the latest update came out, and then it came up with the message about not supporting updates via Kies. Since we don't have an update to install at this point, we have no way to really know if this is a badly worded "there are no updates at this time" situation, or if it does not know about the official AT&T firmware most of us got OTA. We should find out in the hopefully near future.

greg0410

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully someone can help me here. I attempted to update to JB last night but when I attached my S3 (AT&T) to Kies it saw the phone but it did not show any firmware. Literally under firmware edition there was nothing there. I tried the tools menu and again nothing. I reinstalled Kies and again nothing. I shut down the S3, did a battery pull and restarted and again nothing in the firmware edition. I tried all three USB ports on my laptop and again nothing. I even tried Samsung live help which was totally useless. I did learn they can read from a script though.
Any suggestions?????

peconic

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can only get a step past you....

I got the firmware to update it downloads it and then prepares to put on my phone.

Then it disconnects it and starts all over again.

Good thing Samsung makes better phones than they do computer software.

greg0410

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I can only get a step past you....

I got the firmware to update it downloads it and then prepares to put on my phone.

Then it disconnects it and starts all over again.

Good thing Samsung makes better phones than they do computer software.

Yeah, you are right about that. But at this point AT&T doesn't seem to be planning on putting out an OTA for JB so I (we) are really stuck. I am hoping that someone on here has had the same situation and was able to find a fix for it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, after laboring mightily to even get Kies to talk to my GS3 via USB cable, I finally succeeded.

Now, its all connected, and I see this:

So what's up with that??? Looks like I'll be unable to update to JB when it arrives via Kies, will have to wait for OTA???

Is it rooted? I've seen a couple of rooted phones get a message like that. It will only upgrade certain firmware and some rooted devices haven't had a problem though.

You will have to update via Kies, they said on their instruction page there will NOT be an AT&T OTA release.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I swear I only saw the OP post when I opened this. So did some of you get some upgrade from AT&T OTA before? If that is the issue and it's not working, I would suggest you talk to Samsung live chat. They are there 24/7, it is free and they have been really helpful with a lot of people concerning the problems with getting Kies to work and very helpful to me in the past on other issues.

Samsung

Chalvy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same exact problem as you Greg and I am definitely to my breaking point with so much frustration... Kies recognizes my phone but offers no firmware update. I have tried all the suggested fixes, battery pull, restarts, etc. But nothing seems to work. Samsung customer service is worthless. I just hope now that it will show up if I just keep unplugging and replugging my phone... And so the process begins

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same exact problem as you Greg and I am definitely to my breaking point with so much frustration... Kies recognizes my phone but offers no firmware update. I have tried all the suggested fixes, battery pull, restarts, etc. But nothing seems to work. Samsung customer service is worthless. I just hope now that it will show up if I just keep unplugging and replugging my phone... And so the process begins

I have been having the same issue. I had a break through last night though. I restarted my pc, shutdown zone alarm security suite. Connected my phone, launched keys and it prompted for the firmware update. It downloads the update but then Kies hangs when it should advanced to the next step after downloading. Still havent gotten it working but I am closer then I was before.

My suggestion to everyone. Try shutting off your security software, or try it from another pc. :)

meemoo752

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok so here is my version of this insanity....I received a notification via email that there is a firmware update on ATT GS3s. Excitedly I turned on Kies, hooked up my phone via its precious cable and then Kies proceeds to freeze up. Great. So after a couple of tries I uninstalled it and tried again. Nada. Then I got desperate and uninstalled Kies again...for maybe 4 times. Then I contacted Samsung's online chat. haha..what a joke. I was told I need to have Windows Media Player 10, .Net Framework 3.5 SP1, DirectX 9c, and Adobe Flash Player on my computer. Well first of all, my laptop has Windows 7 on it and it won't accept WMP10 or 11 (they are for XP and Vista), and second of all, why on earth did Samsung create Kies based on some ancient wmp? I don't get it. I'll try again one or two more times and then I'm taking my phone over to Best Buy and let them do the update. Shame on you Samsung!! GRRRRRRR

meemoo752

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
It finally worked- yay! I un installed Kies and any cookies in my temp files, then re downloaded it and any Kies updates, hooked up the phone and walked away after following the update prompts and clicking the permission boxes. The trick with this update is patience. Even though it looks like the phone disconnected, don't un plug it. Just leave it alone and be patient. It takes some time to download onto the computer and then onto the phone. The update is 207MB. Good luck!

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
It finally worked- yay! I un installed Kies and any cookies in my temp files, then re downloaded it and any Kies updates, hooked up the phone and walked away after following the update prompts and clicking the permission boxes. The trick with this update is patience. Even though it looks like the phone disconnected, don't un plug it. Just leave it alone and be patient. It takes some time to download onto the computer and then onto the phone. The update is 207MB. Good luck!

And I'm sure it's even slower when there are a buttload of people trying to download at the same time.

It took me almost an hour for mine to finish. There times I thought it wasn't doing anything

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Fresh install of Kies has seemed to work better for everyone that has done it and also for some reason, turning off your phone, not rebooting, before hooking it up has seemed to be another common thing of the people that didn't have any trouble updating and updating in less than 30 mins.

kirankpatel

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I spend almost 4 hrs struggling on a windows 7 machine with kies. The software is not clear at times and dont know whats happening.

I tried upgrading ATT S3 and wifi-Note10.1 to Jelly bean. Both were getting stuck. Finally I moved to a fresh machine running windows 8 @ 4pm and was able to update both by 5pm without any issues. I think the key is some drivers and if that gets screwed we are stuck, else its a breeze like on the other machine. So folks getting stuck watch out on these lines.

Again, while upgrading, dont do anything when it feels its not doing anything... it actually does something and comes back ... after a while... wish samsung kies is more vocal of whats its doing..... but the key to make it work is put it and be patient and wait for it to come back after like 10mins ....atleast b/w steps :)

Hope that helps,