1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Curious Question from a noob!

Ok, here it is. I have only owned iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4. I also own a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 wireless only and have gotten to use it root it and play with the functions and really like the way it is built. I only jailbroke the iPhone 4 for one reason and that was to have a mobile hotspot with MyFi. I have the unlimited data plan and wish to keep it as I am grandfathered in to this plan. It is upgrade time, and I am leaning towards the new Samsung Galaxy S3 instead of the iPhone 5 but I am still on the fence.....Main concern on the upgrade is...Does the S3 come with an app that will allow me to do what I am doing with the iPhone 4 presently, or am I going to have to wait until the iOS 6 is untethered and upgrade to an iPhone 5?

Any kind of help would be much appreciated!!! I don't mind rooting or jailbreaking, but I just need a solution to the problem.

Jim

Default Re: Curious Question from a noob!

I always love it when someone is debating over what phone to buy-it means you care about what your tech future holds!
    As to your question, I believe it can be done natively in the Android OS without installing any apps. This website has a good description:
    Just go to the network settings, more settings, and tethering should be there. Beware, though, because often phone carriers will charge extra for tethering, even though you have an unlimited data plan.
    Thanked by:
    Nablan 

Quote Originally Posted by Nablan View Post
    Ok, here it is. I have only owned iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4. I also own a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 wireless only and have gotten to use it root it and play with the functions and really like the way it is built. I only jailbroke the iPhone 4 for one reason and that was to have a mobile hotspot with MyFi. I have the unlimited data plan and wish to keep it as I am grandfathered in to this plan. It is upgrade time, and I am leaning towards the new Samsung Galaxy S3 instead of the iPhone 5 but I am still on the fence.....Main concern on the upgrade is...Does the S3 come with an app that will allow me to do what I am doing with the iPhone 4 presently, or am I going to have to wait until the iOS 6 is untethered and upgrade to an iPhone 5?

Any kind of help would be much appreciated!!! I don't mind rooting or jailbreaking, but I just need a solution to the problem.

Jim
    You know you'll lose the unlimited data with your upgrade right? Unless you buy the phone outright :-(

Sent from my Red GS3
    Thanked by:
    Nablan 

I have done 6 upgrades on my account between all my kids and husband and never lost my unlimited that I'm grandfathered into? I just upgraded again last week to the galaxy 3s and still have it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Nablan 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by texasotts View Post
    I have done 6 upgrades on my account between all my kids and husband and never lost my unlimited that I'm grandfathered into? I just upgraded again last week to the galaxy 3s and still have it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    My concern is mainly the ability to tether after the upgrade, I was assured by an AT&T technician that I wouldn't lose my unlimited plan. Hope he was right.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    You know you'll lose the unlimited data with your upgrade right? Unless you buy the phone outright :-(

Sent from my Red GS3
    Isn't that only with verizon

Sent from my PC36100
    Thanked by:
    Nablan 

Quote Originally Posted by blaze5 View Post
    Isn't that only with verizon

Sent from my PC36100
    I thought this was Verizon some reason lmao

Sent from my Red GS3
    Thanked by:
    Nablan 

ROM
    SGS3-4.1.2

I think the big thing depends on what rep you get and if they know what they are doing. My wife upgraded and the rep said you will not lose unlimited but she did and once its gone there is no way to get it back.

I upgraded the other day and was told the same thing but I still have my unlimited plan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Nablan 

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

I did my upgrade through the AT&T web page, no rep. Old Unlimited data plan replaced with unlimited data with LTE. I didn't have an iPhone, but it worked fine, and I just made sure that I checked all plan settings before confirming my order.
    Thanked by:
    Nablan 
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

The bottom line for the OP is yes there are several ways to use tether with Android. Most of them depend on the Android version of 'jailbreaking' (rooting) but there is an option to do it without rooting

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Thanked by:
    Nablan 
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

thank you all for the answers. I chose the Samsung Galaxy S3 phone, however when I try and use the "hotspot" I get an error "To enable mobile hotspot on this device, go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611. Now we all know what will happen, I'll lose my unlimited plan. Any work arounds now that I have the best phone on the planet?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S3 4G LTE
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

you have two routes to go here

try foxfi from the market. i am not very experienced with that one so i can be of no real help.
    the other is root and install wifi tether. This is the root i would go but it is up to you

PDA Net in the market says it works on any Droid and says it can hide it from your carrier. I haven't used it in a while, last time I got a new phone, at the time it wasn't working on that version.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom v5.1

I believe you have to google foxfi and sideload the apk. When I tried searching on the market or said it had been removed. But once I sideloaded it it worked like a charm

Sent from my HTC One X

Global Posts
    731 Global Posts

My wife and I are on AT&T and have the unlimited data plan. In August we upgraded from Blackberry Torches to Samsung Galaxy S3s. We did NOT lose our data plan. We have installed an app for wifi hotspot capability on our phones and this works great with our wifi only Samsung tablets. We do, however, use it sparingly so ATT wont become suspicious.

I had an iPhone 3GS and was thinking about ugrading to the 4 or even the 5. But after seeing the 5, it's not much bigger than the 3 or 4. Plus neither have expandable memory. I love that the S3 has that option, plus 16gigs on the phone for less money than the apple phones. I am loving my Galaxy. Though I wish it had a Siri kind of program. Also have an Android tablet and it's nice that I can go to my computer and add my apps to either device easily. I don't have to rely on iTunes for everything on my phone.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Google now voice search is sorta like siri, but I have been using utter and it is nice. You can find it in the play store

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis