Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sqa4life
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Default I need some serious help in trying to figure out music on the GSIII

Ok, got a new Galaxy S3 and I used the Google Play App to access all the songs I have uploaded. Lots of these songs I have downloaded "to the device" to keep on there. However, I can't figure out how to a) change the download location to my Micro SD card, b) move the songs from device memory, to the Micro SD card, or c) use Samsung Kies to move the songs around that way. If I browse the contents of the phone on Kies, no music shows up, I can't find out where my songs are to move them and trust me, I have searched every folder. I'm coming into this as an Android newb, so apologies if this is a dumb question, but I did a few Google searches and simply cannot figure out how to easily get my music onto the GSIII so any help on this will be much appreciated.

Default Re: I need some serious help in trying to figure out music on the GSIII

I bought an SD card, with the adapter that fits into any computers SD card reader. Once I mounted the sd card on my computer I created a folder on the SD card called music I then copied all the music I wanted to have with me locally, onto the SD card. I've had no problems accessing any music using this procedure. I found this to be the easiest and fastest method to put music on the SD Card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by aco905; 11-30-2012 at 08:32 PM.

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

Coming from Apples' iOS & iTunes, I downloaded the free for desktop, and it's been working really good so far.
    On the computer it's just a little blue-ish-grey 'S' icon – with a right-click menu of: FAQ – Check for updates – Options – Exit.

When I plug the GS3 into the computer – a little menu window pops-up that gives me a choice of: iSyncr – Choose Sync Drive:
    – Samsung-SGH-I747 – Phone (11.95 GB)
    – Samsung-SGH-I747 – Card (29.71 GB)

But, I can pretty much do the same thing . . just by dragging and dropping folders & files manually, since the GS3 also shows-up as a: Samsung-SGH-I747 drive – under 'My Computer' – with both the phone & card sub-drives underneath. iSyncr just gives you more options – with lots of various checkboxes – for syncing music from iTunes.

ISyncr also has a premium: for $3.99 on the goo play store. I haven't bought that, but I've been thinking of doing so to have the WiFi option.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

I apologize for not replying quicker, had a busy day. In any event, does either of you know anything about the Google Play Music app though? I'm going to look at doing the direct transfer but I'd still love a way to do it within the phone.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by jblank View Post
    I apologize for not replying quicker, had a busy day. In any event, does either of you know anything about the Google Play Music app though? I'm going to look at doing the direct transfer but I'd still love a way to do it within the phone.
    I don't really know much about it; I tried the 'Goo Play Music' app as well as the stock music app; wasn't that impressed with either, coming from iTunes and the iPhones built-in iPods. But I left the stock music player on my GS3 and was alternating between it and JRT's Android Music Player... until I downloaded the iSyncr stuff (up above) and subsequently switched to JRT's , after testing out their Beta release.
    I will say that the loaded-up & sync'd perfectly, with all album art, from my iTunes libraries.

My GSII Skyrocket— also had the 'Moog Music' app, which was pretty neat, but now I'm not even seeing it on goo play.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Thanks, I do those products mentioned allow you to direct the music to the sd card.

+1 for iSyncr. I tried it for 15 minutes and bought the full version. It works flawless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    winmod21 likes this.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by jblank View Post
    Thanks, I do those products mentioned allow you to direct the music to the sd card.
    Yes, they do. As I mentioned up above. . . when I plug the GS3 into the computer – a little menu window pops-up that gives me a choice of:
    iSyncr – Choose Sync Drive:
    – Samsung-SGH-I747 – Phone (11.95 GB)
    – Samsung-SGH-I747 – Card (29.71 GB)

I think I've read that there's other apps that also let you 'direct the music to the sd card'. But was developed to work super great with iTunes libraries, which in my experience so far, it does. Then again, on your computer, you can also do the direct dragging and dropping of folders & files manually, if your GS3 shows-up as a: Samsung-SGH-I747 drive –under 'My Computer' (if PC)– with both the phone & card sub-drives underneath, where you can create your own music folders, etc.

This may not be completely on task, but it is difficult for me to read threads like this without interjection.

You need root access to achieve what the OP is trying to do. The folder where the mp3 is stored is inaccessible otherwise.

[rant]The Google music app is mediocre at best. It doesn't have folder view which is the way hyper organized music dweebs such as myself sort their collection.

iTunes is such a big steamer that it is difficult for me to imagine that someone would want to replicate that experience on android. Having to sync your device ?. . . Deep breaths, remain calm.

Unless you are too deep into Google music, I would avoid it and stick with something that actually allows an accessible mp3 file. You can always load content you already own into the Google music cloudverse if you must. Better than Being stuck with some drm version.[/rant]

I'm not trying to be insulting to anyone, but I have mp3 files from the days of Napster and various CD rips which have no id3 tags. I am constantly creating my own mixes and I seldom have use for the methods that apps like iTunes use to sort music (via id3 tag).

I think the OP is discovering the limitations using a new drm based system like Google music and its lack of portability.

Personally, if I want certain files accessible via "the cloud," I just upload them to my Google drive folder.
    Last edited by repligation; 12-02-2012 at 05:54 PM.