Are keyboard apps safe?

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Hate the stock keyboard. Tried downloading some alternative ones but the permissions all say collect password s and credit card numbers. So am I stuck with this junk keyboard or are they safe enough to download? Please advise.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Try SwiftKey 3. It's safe and works well. It learns your writing style so well that it is scary.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded. Seems like this one is the only one that doesn't collect or maybe collect that stuff

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You have to think about it, it's a keyboard that learns to your writing style. The stock keyboard collects the same information. That being said I would only use one that is well known as you don't know if the developer is collecting this info into a database. I use SwiftKey and love it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I use one called "Jelly Bean Keyboard" when I get tired of Swype. It has a split keyboard option and I like that. There is a paid version, but I just use the free one. If I use the stock keyboard as just typing and not Swype I have a lot of mistakes, but don't have the mistakes on the Jelly Bean Keyboard because you can adjust the size of the keys.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Agree with the others, SwiftKey.
It is scary sometimes.

Like it is reading my mind.
Whoa, the keyboard just typed that last sentence on its own!

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I was just joking there, but I just had that happen. I literally used the suggestions for an entire sentence of like 9 words.
You're freaking me out, man!

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I was once worried about that too, but now I only use the popular well known keyboards from trusted people. I used to think that the Jelly Bean keyboard was the only good once, but now I've become so accustomed to Swype I won't use anything else. It takes a while to get used to swyping as a typing style but it is so incredibly accurate, I can't go back to regular typing. I tried reverting back to JB Keyboard, and even SwiftKey3, but I missed the precise accuracy of Swype. The only downfall is you have to download Swype from their website, it's not in the play store, but well worth it! Swype | Type Fast, Swype Faster

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I was once worried about that too, but now I only use the popular well known keyboards from trusted people. I used to think that the Jelly Bean keyboard was the only good once, but now I've become so accustomed to Swype I won't use anything else. It takes a while to get used to swyping as a typing style but it is so incredibly accurate, I can't go back to regular typing. I tried reverting back to JB Keyboard, and even SwiftKey3, but I missed the precise accuracy of Swype. The only downfall is you have to download Swype from their website, it's not in the play store, but well worth it! Swype | Type Fast, Swype Faster

I also like Swype and used it for a long time but I found I made a lot of spelling mistakes vs SwiftKey's prediction engine which always provides me with the correct word. I found I don't have to go back as often to fix errors.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I also like Swype and used it for a long time but I found I made a lot of spelling mistakes vs SwiftKey's prediction engine which always provides me with the correct word. I found I don't have to go back as often to fix errors.

My biggest gripe about Android as an iOS user, was that I thought all of the keyboards but the Jelly Bean one were garbage. I found text prediction to be sorely lagging behind iOS, and having to pause to select your word I thought was a bad idea. I'm a fairly rapid typer, and on the iPhone made relatively no mistakes, and never had to backspace at all. For some reason against what everyone else says, I make a ton of mistakes using SwiftKey3. I don't like all of the clutter the keys have showing all of the pronunciation marks on each key, numbers, etc...I even hated Swype in the beginning too. However I've found that the more you stick with one particular keyboard, the better it becomes at learning your particular typing style, and the easier it becomes to type, and the less mistakes I tend to make. With that being said, it is all personal preference really, and for me Swype just seems to fit my needs best. It's funny because I often times find myself trying to Swype on my iPad from time to time. I always get a chuckle out of that lol.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm a swype user and I'm trying SwiftKey keyboard for the first time. I have this is pretty much accurate already. I have had it predict quite a bit in this reply that I'm typing now.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My biggest gripe about Android as an iOS user, was that I thought all of the keyboards but the Jelly Bean one were garbage. I found text prediction to be sorely lagging behind iOS, and having to pause to select your word I thought was a bad idea. I'm a fairly rapid typer, and on the iPhone made relatively no mistakes, and never had to backspace at all. For some reason against what everyone else says, I make a ton of mistakes using SwiftKey3. I don't like all of the clutter the keys have showing all of the pronunciation marks on each key, numbers, etc...I even hated Swype in the beginning too. However I've found that the more you stick with one particular keyboard, the better it becomes at learning your particular typing style, and the easier it becomes to type, and the less mistakes I tend to make. With that being said, it is all personal preference really, and for me Swype just seems to fit my needs best. It's funny because I often times find myself trying to Swype on my iPad from time to time. I always get a chuckle out of that lol.

It definitely is a personal thing that takes a bit to get used to. It's like a groove you get into. Swype definitely makes me type faster, but I was always making random mistakes. I don't nearly as often on SwiftKey. But one thing I always suggest to people is to use the light theme on SwiftKey. It looks more like iOS. The dark keyboard themes never look right for me.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm a swype user and I'm trying SwiftKey keyboard for the first time. I have this is pretty much accurate already. I have had it predict quite a bit in this reply that I'm typing now.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

And it gets better in time. I read that the world texting champion uses SwiftKey and apparently blew away the competition. Even blackberry users.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
It definitely is a personal thing that takes a bit to get used to. It's like a groove you get into. Swype definitely makes me type faster, but I was always making random mistakes. I don't nearly as often on SwiftKey. But one thing I always suggest to people is to use the light theme on SwiftKey. It looks more like iOS. The dark keyboard themes never look right for me.

Agreed, and everyone I recommend SwiftKey3 to seems to love it, so I'm sure I need to give it another chance. I've never seen a bad review of it either.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I would like to know how people are finding the new keyboard in Jellybean 4.2. It is now using a Swype style system with what appears to be a nice predictive engine that auto completes in a small box that follows your finger.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the Swype Beta v1.3 for approx. three weeks now and?except for a few minor bugs, due to it being the latest beta version?so far, have been really enjoying it. The predictive and anticipated text has been mostly good. Also agree that Swype has fairly 'precise accuracy.' Moreover, I really like the keyboard, and appreciate the eleven different keyboard themes.
I originally thought that the TouchPal keyboard was pretty good, but then realized it didn't have any of the 2nd keyboard characters on it's middle row of letter keys.

Downloaded SwiftKey 3, before trying Swype Beta, but uninstalled SwiftKey 3 shortly thereafter; wasn't crazy about the keyboards and overall predictive/anticipated text set-up, nor the pop-up predictive thingy, but mostly, missed the swyping accuracy of the Swype keyboard.
Btw, there are several 'bad' reviews for SwiftKey 3?in the goo play store user reviews?if you click on 'latest' & 'newest'.

Nevertheless, one can find poor reviews with any and every app. Bottom line . . . it all comes down to what one personally prefers.