Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Default Re: AT&T Jelly Bean Update FINALLY Available via Kies!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Los305 View Post
    Make sure its actually recognizing your device.. Connect it as a "media device" not as a "camera" also check to see if you have the latest version of Kies. Good luck.
    Thanks for the quick response. I checked and my version of Kies is up to date. Also, my phone is checked as a "media device" and not a "camera". Any other suggestions?

Does anyone have the Jelly Bean keyboard? Did AT&T remove that from the update too? I know there is a version on Google Play, but they are charging for the PRO version which should be included in the this update. What a disappointing upgrade, if you can even call this an upgrade.

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Chalvy View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I checked and my version of Kies is up to date. Also, my phone is checked as a "media device" and not a "camera". Any other suggestions?
    Well thats Bizarre lol. Try rebooting your phone maybe? I think someone else here mentioned that Kies didn't offer them an update right away also.. I recall them saying it eventually popped up after a while. Sorry I cant be more helpful. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by newsman787 View Post
    I guess I'm one of lucky ones. Downloaded Kies to my MacBook, updated it and then ran update for my S3. Took about 35 minutes for Jelly Bean to download and install. Was worried in wake of many a report on Mac woes with Kies. But all worked well. Happy camper here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    I downloaded it on my Mac first try. It just took 2 hours because my connection was slooooooooow.

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MaceHowling View Post
    Does anyone have the Jelly Bean keyboard? Did AT&T remove that from the update too? I know there is a version on Google Play, but they are charging for the PRO version which should be included in the this update. What a disappointing upgrade, if you can even call this an upgrade.
    I dont know if I have JB Keyboard or not but I have noticed that typing is A LOT more accurate for me now.
    jsharper9360 likes this.

I went to the check for updates in settings and said phone was up to date then I tried kies air I connected through wifi and all my phone files came up but nothing about updating?

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mordyb View Post
    I went to the check for updates in settings and said phone was up to date then I tried kies air I connected through wifi and all my phone files came up but nothing about updating?
    See if connecting via USB makes any difference

See if connecting via USB makes any difference
    How do I do that? Do I need kies installed on the computer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

How do I do that? Do I need kies installed on the computer?

Indeed. download the latest version for your operating system. Set it up and connect your device via USB and it should auto check for the latest firmware once Kies has recognized your device.

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by sean8102 View Post
    Update went fine for me. Installed Kies rebooted and launched it. Connected the phone and it immediately asked me if i wanted to update. Took about 20 mins all and all. Performance dose seem quite a bit snappier. Had to reboot the phone after the first reboot to get it to update Google search. First time it said device not supported but a reboot fixed that. Very happy with this update love google now as well. Just wish i could set double tapping the home button go to Google now, did turn off the double tap for s voice thing though.
    Another quick way to access Google now would be to hold the Menu button and when the white screen pops up just say "Google" and google now will appear. :-)

Air Kies will not work, you must have your phone connected to your computer with the USB cord.

For whomever was asking..the double click to bring up Google Now can be done.

This app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hvcnRjdXQiXQ..

Look at the app pics, make sure the last step when you close and it asks, you choose HOME2 as the default.

Now, step #1

For the Home>Home choose the App "Voice Search" and not the "Google" app if you want to double click the home button and the "speak now" option is up and you do not have to wake it up by saying "Google"

Step 3, the HOME application will be TouchWiz or a Launcher if you are using one.

Then the step, step 4 I talked about above, it's easy to miss if you aren't careful because you are used to telling it to use a launcher here, choose the "Home2" option after tapping close. That will now bring up the Google Now "voice searching option" when you double click. Also add the Voice Search app (the one with the mic picture) to your lock screen, which BTW, can now have 5 icons instead of 4.

Indeed. download the latest version for your operating system. Set it up and connect your device via USB and it should auto check for the latest firmware once Kies has recognized your device.
    I will try that thank you

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Ah pretty cool didn't know you could do that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptoniteguy View Post
    So the update went really smooth on my wife's GS3, but I have one question... why does it display a memory card icon on the camera screen now, and how do you turn it off? My Note 2 does it also, so I assume its a JB thing.. but it's kinda annoying seeing that on the screen while panning for a photo.
    The memory card icon is a new feature to let you know where you pictures and videos will be stored. If you change the storage to phone memory a phone icon is displayed.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

Since there has been some confusion from people about Kies, the BIG problem that some people have(not just here on this thread) is that you need to be using Samsung Kies. Not Kies Air or something else. Samsung Kies is a really badly written app that is somewhat similar in function to Apple iTunes, but for Samsung devices. You can download it here:
    Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung

Kies itself has been known to have issues, but is the best, and to my knowledge only way to install the official JB update(you don't need to root or do anything fancy).

So, get Kies, install it on your computer(must be an administrator account on Windows, not standard or limited user), and then plug your phone into the computer. You will see drivers get installed if you are on Windows. Once the drivers finish installing, Kies itself should now show you what firmware you have on your phone, and will now offer the update.
    Thanked by:
    vdr 

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chalvy View Post
    Try a different USB cable, you may be using one with pins shorted for charging. That solved my problem.

Kies work on Windows8; click HELP in Kies and make sure you have the latest version. I don't have any problems with Kies when connecting my GS3 or my wife's GTab2 7" Plus; I ony have problems with my GTab 10.1' with ICS. Go figure

Exclamation Re: AT&T Jelly Bean Update FINALLY Available via Kies!!!!!

Not only is typing more accurate; check out the voice typing which works in messaging and email. WOW; I can't wait until my iPhone co-workers get in today. It's goint to be BAM, check this out. It's on now.
    D.Sandman likes this.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed yet but, I'm using TW for my launcher and by accident I discovered I could resize my Beautiful Widgets beautiful clock widget. Very cool well to me anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Since there has been some confusion from people about Kies, the BIG problem that some people have(not just here on this thread) is that you need to be using Samsung Kies. Not Kies Air or something else. Samsung Kies is a really badly written app that is somewhat similar in function to Apple iTunes, but for Samsung devices. You can download it here:
    Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung

Kies itself has been known to have issues, but is the best, and to my knowledge only way to install the official JB update(you don't need to root or do anything fancy).

So, get Kies, install it on your computer(must be an administrator account on Windows, not standard or limited user), and then plug your phone into the computer. You will see drivers get installed if you are on Windows. Once the drivers finish installing, Kies itself should now show you what firmware you have on your phone, and will now offer the update.
    Targon
    Just worked perfect for me im now updated to JB took about 30 minutes
    Thanks
    jvak55

I was at work yesterday when this failed, I think it was a too slow of a connection.

I tried at home on another Win 7 64, and the download,etc went much faster. It stopped and got stuck at 0% when it was downloading firmware on phone (Phone said do not disconnect...). After an hour, I killed the Kies process on the computer, (maybe re-started phone? can;t remember) and started Kies again, and successfully upgraded phone to 4.1.1.

Lesson learned: Use a good data cable (some of my micro usb cables are only good for charging), and have a good data connection for downloading, otherwise it give strange behaviors...

Global Posts
    3,712 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    As an Android newbie (since Aug), I haven't updated my phone before and just updated Kies. When I plug my phone in it immediately shows the JB update available and gives you a number of 'warnings' of which one is to fully charge the battery which I'm doing right now. Presuming the update goes as planned, will it remove the folders I've created in 4.0.1 or change any settings? I would hope all it will do is update the OS and leave everything as is especially since I'm running stock Touch Wiz, with no launchers, roots or ROMs. Thanks.
    Everything will stay as it is. I will tell you though, if you use "talk back", don't enable it after the upgrade. You will freeze your phone, BIG TIME.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Upgrading right now (: So excited!

Global Posts
    3,712 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    For whomever was asking..the double click to bring up Google Now can be done.

This app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hvcnRjdXQiXQ..

Look at the app pics, make sure the last step when you close and it asks, you choose HOME2 as the default.

Now, step #1

For the Home>Home choose the App "Voice Search" and not the "Google" app if you want to double click the home button and the "speak now" option is up and you do not have to wake it up by saying "Google"

Step 3, the HOME application will be TouchWiz or a Launcher if you are using one.

Then the step, step 4 I talked about above, it's easy to miss if you aren't careful because you are used to telling it to use a launcher here, choose the "Home2" option after tapping close. That will now bring up the Google Now "voice searching option" when you double click. Also add the Voice Search app (the one with the mic picture) to your lock screen, which BTW, can now have 5 icons instead of 4.
    O.K., I tried using your method, but ran into a problem. My lock screen becomes disabled. Any thoughts on this?
    P.S. My lock screen becomes disabled when i shut off s-voice, whether i use your method or not.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast