AT&T Jelly Bean Update FINALLY Available via Kies!!!!!

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: AT&T Jelly Bean Update FINALLY Available via Kies!!!!!

Are u sure you have Jelly Bean?

Interesting you asked, I figured someone would. I was wondering myself so I checked, version 4.1.1 and my notification bar at the top of the screen is definitely still black.

phonenut

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I turned on "airplane mode" before starting the update, figuring I didn't want it interrupted by a phone call or something - now its been stuck with a green android guy on the S3 screen with the words "downloading... Do not turn off target!!!" for the last half hour, with no progress on the Kies upgrade window. It's not trying to download via the phone, is it???

sig.jpg
are you a bit slow bro?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
As an Android newbie (since Aug), I haven't updated my phone before and just updated Kies. When I plug my phone in it immediately shows the JB update available and gives you a number of 'warnings' of which one is to fully charge the battery which I'm doing right now. Presuming the update goes as planned, will it remove the folders I've created in 4.0.1 or change any settings? I would hope all it will do is update the OS and leave everything as is especially since I'm running stock Touch Wiz, with no launchers, roots or ROMs. Thanks.

Mangoes1

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I updated successfully but now in the locked screen, when I press a button, I get a flashing red rectangle box that goes away once I unlock the phone and start an application. Any ideas as to what is going on here? It was not there before the update.

phonenut

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Smooth i'm a bit scared to do it :p. Nah I'm going to try to reset it and redo it. My interent has been so terrible lately that i havent even used wifi. I think our wireless in our router is going out. Modem hook up is fine and outside TW levels are too. About to hook up the oldie but good g linksys router.

-edit also everything went on kies until the downloading part that switched to my phone but kies firmware upgrade is just waiting i think for the phone to download the package. Thats just what i am thinking

sig.jpg
tw...

bevcraw

Net Mod Emeritus
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
As an Android newbie (since Aug), I haven't updated my phone before and just updated Kies. When I plug my phone in it immediately shows the JB update available and gives you a number of 'warnings' of which one is to fully charge the battery which I'm doing right now. Presuming the update goes as planned, will it remove the folders I've created in 4.0.1 or change any settings? I would hope all it will do is update the OS and leave everything as is especially since I'm running stock Touch Wiz, with no launchers, roots or ROMs. Thanks.

I haven't noticed any changed settings so far.

And, for the record, my notification bar is lighter than it was before.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Version 10.5.8 I also looked if there are any software updates available on my computer and it said everything is up to date. I uninstalled Kies twice just now and noticed after I get the update prompt, the update crashes when I press update. Then I get the message about reporting the problem to Apple, relaunching or ignore. This is so frustrating!
Hrmm the update to Kies should be straight from the Kies app, and not through OSX itself. Is your version of Java current? That was what initially kept me from being able to update because I received the error message saying I needed to update Java.
Download Kies from this link, that's what I did. http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201210/20121004153019507/KiesMac_2.0.0.12095_7_1.dmg

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
There will be no OTA, you have to use Kies.

According to ATT there's not gonna be one. It's Kies or nothing.

Does anybody here know if its normal for the devs/smart guys here and/or at XDA to grab the file and make an alternative method available for the official upgrades like this?

I've been through the day from hell here. Started trying the upgrade last night. Tried it twice, and it hung both times at 0% downloading to the device. I guess because it was at 0%, after a battery pull (after waiting 2 hours or more) it rebooted normally. I gave up after two tries last night.

Sat down this morning to try again. Rebooted the computer, rebooted the phone. Started Kies, made sure its the latest one. This time it got to 21% download to the device before it hung. I gave up after 90 minutes and pulled the battery. But since the firmware download had been partially done, it wouldn't reboot - just came up to a screen about failed upgrade. Went through the emergency restore procedure FOUR times, including chatting with Samsung online, removing and reinstalling Kies, and more reboots of both computer and phone than I could count. No joy.

Gave up and headed for my nearest AT&T store. Took them an hour to be able to explain to me that there was nothing they could do there except order me a replacement shipped overnight, or send me to the regional support center, about half an hour away. I chose to drive to the regional support center (bad decision!) They were able to restore my phone and save all the data/programs, but its back to ICS 4.0.4, they said they didn't have JB yet. So, got home after nearly 4 hours away, plus about 3 hours of screwing with it this morning. I'm sitting here now, thinking about the fact that since I have the SAME phone that wouldn't take the upgrade before, that I'm more than a little afraid to try it again!

Sure wish I'd have a replacement sent, then the FIRST thing I'd do is the upgrade, before doing a restore of my backup file and then installing whatever apps I need to.

So... what are my options now?!?! :(

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been through the day from hell here. Started trying the upgrade last night. Tried it twice, and it hung both times at 0% downloading to the device. I guess because it was at 0%, after a battery pull (after waiting 2 hours or more) it rebooted normally. I gave up after two tries last night.

Sat down this morning to try again. Rebooted the computer, rebooted the phone. Started Kies, made sure its the latest one. This time it got to 21% download to the device before it hung. I gave up after 90 minutes and pulled the battery. But since the firmware download had been partially done, it wouldn't reboot - just came up to a screen about failed upgrade. Went through the emergency restore procedure FOUR times, including chatting with Samsung online, removing and reinstalling Kies, and more reboots of both computer and phone than I could count. No joy.
So... what are my options now?!?! :(

I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but I had a similar experience yesterday. Mine would hang at 99%. After 20 minutes I disconnected the phone and rebooted the phone and computer. I tried again and then Kies would not recognize my phone. Closed Kies and tried again and it still would not recognize my phone so closed it and then re-opened Kies and it recognized my phone and then hung at 99% again. I disconnected and rebooted the phone and computer and tried again and this time it just worked.
It appears that you did everything right, so I can't really give more insight except that it eventually worked for me. (I never did an emergency restore.) And when it did work the whole process took around 30 minutes or less.
Hopefully someone else has a better answer for you but you might want to just try a few more times.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Came home, stated kies and it was easy squeezy, lemon peezy. Left sprint this week and joned up w/ At&t and got jelly bean today. Sweet!!

Christian Boswell

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I Also have been unsuccessful with the update. Uninstalled and re installed Kies, get the update pop up, but when I go to update I get stuck at 100% on the "downloading firmware upgrade components" screen. It just stays there and then either closes or freezes.

spna

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
HOW FRUSTRATING! D/L and installed Kies, connected SIII, selected upgrade to JB, D/L "firmware upgrade components". Upgrade screen closes, then Kies closes. No other activity reported, and phone shows home screen the entire time. I was able to backup phone using Kies, but upgrade doesn't work!
Uninstalled/ reinstalled Kies- same as above. SMDH!!!

Finally, after about 5 hrs, got it! If I had to guess, server congestion was causing it all...

I've been having he same issue all afternoon. Crashes after the downloading of firmware upgrade components. I got on Samsung Chat and the tech told me I have to have Duo Core processor. My AMD V140 (single core) won't work according to him.

Christian Boswell

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Extremely frustrating to say the least. 100% on the "Downloading firmware upgrade components" and it just sits there and then closes. Were others having this and it eventually went away when the servers cleared up? I've been trying for about 4 hours now with the same exact result each time.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Came home, stated kies and it was easy squeezy, lemon peezy. Left sprint this week and joned up w/ At&t and got jelly bean today. Sweet!!
Whodatboy dat jest sed dat? Everone know dat da sayin' goes: 'easy peasy lemon squeezy' . . an not "easy squeezy, lemon peezy" ! :p ;)

schreiby

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
i can't get Kies to work on my laptop. Uninstalled it and re-installed it numerous times; it seems to be caught in a loop. Anyone have ideas? i REALLY want jelly bean....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

scottus2hottus

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm having issues downloading it. It starts the download then after the first step it just stops left my phone in for over 30 minutes and nothing and I'm not rooted

Christian Boswell

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Same deal, scottus. I get to 100% on that first firmware component screen and it just sits at 100% for about ten minutes and then closes itself. At least our reports are similar, probably a bogged down server issue with it being evening. I'll try again at 10pm Eastern with an update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon