AT&T Jelly Bean Update FINALLY Available via Kies!!!!!

yeah yeah

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Have a Mac. My phone only charges when I plug it in. No notifications or anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

vdr

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks mate..this post was for me i guess... i recently switched to android and have been messing around with kies air to get this update until i saw ur message ...JB Update is almost done

Since there has been some confusion from people about Kies, the BIG problem that some people have(not just here on this thread) is that you need to be using Samsung Kies. Not Kies Air or something else. Samsung Kies is a really badly written app that is somewhat similar in function to Apple iTunes, but for Samsung devices. You can download it here:
Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung

Kies itself has been known to have issues, but is the best, and to my knowledge only way to install the official JB update(you don't need to root or do anything fancy).

So, get Kies, install it on your computer(must be an administrator account on Windows, not standard or limited user), and then plug your phone into the computer. You will see drivers get installed if you are on Windows. Once the drivers finish installing, Kies itself should now show you what firmware you have on your phone, and will now offer the update.

Ryan Wittek

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been having some problems over the last two days trying to get the JB update vias Kies to work on my SGS3. When I connect everything works fine, Downloads the update firmware, then the firmware upgrade progress starts then when it goes to install the update to my phone it sits at 0% so far for 17 hours and 5 hours with no progress showing, even has the android pop up on my phone stating not to turn off this target. I'm thinking that it has to do with the cable cause anytime it goes to the last process of updating my computer tells me again that my sgs3 has properlly installed again... *like i unplugged and plugged back in*. I have completely factory reset my phone and it still wont take. Anyone out there have a idea of how to fix this problem? Thanks!

Ricky20

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Can't upgrade my software to jelly bean... The final update always stalls and have to take out battery. Sucks! Anybody know what else I can do... I'll try the above program recommended :/

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Can't upgrade my software to jelly bean... The final update always stalls and have to take out battery. Sucks! Anybody know what else I can do... I'll try the above program recommended :/
Samsung has live chat support 24/7. They are great, very helpful, it is free, they have helped a lot of people. They will get it going for you, take advantage of the free service they offer.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been having some problems over the last two days trying to get the JB update vias Kies to work on my SGS3. When I connect everything works fine, Downloads the update firmware, then the firmware upgrade progress starts then when it goes to install the update to my phone it sits at 0% so far for 17 hours and 5 hours with no progress showing, even has the android pop up on my phone stating not to turn off this target. I'm thinking that it has to do with the cable cause anytime it goes to the last process of updating my computer tells me again that my sgs3 has properlly installed again... *like i unplugged and plugged back in*. I have completely factory reset my phone and it still wont take. Anyone out there have a idea of how to fix this problem? Thanks!

I'm with AT&T, and here's what i did. Also i use a MacBook Pro. Completely uninstall Kies from your computer. Reinstall Kies. Using the cable that came with the phone, open up Kies, and plug that puppy into the USB port of your computer. On the phone, go to settings>developer options>USB debugging. Make sure that developer options is ON, and make sure that USB debugging is CHECKED. That's what finally worked for me. Do not unplug phone until EVERYTHING is done. Took about a half hour for mine. Good luck, and Semper Fi. :)

DRUETSR

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I tried numerous times to get KIES to inform me of the upgrade finally I ran KIES as admin (Win 7 64) and turned off my firewall (Zone Alarm), finally KIES showed the upgrade. It would download the update and then just sit there. I unplugged the phone shut down KIES and tried again (actually numerous times), sometimes it would get as far as processing firmware upgrade and then just sit there. Powered down phone, did a battery pull, same thing over and over. Tried 2 different Samsung USB cables, different USB ports and still nothing. I decided to fire up my old XP PC and see if it would get any further. I downloaded KIES and then turned off the firewall (just to be safe). Firmware upgrade completed this time without any issues. I am now up and running on JB. For those of you still having issues maybe try turning off your firewall if you have one running and try another computer if you have that option.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm telling everyone..Samsung live chat will have you up and going in a couple of minutes if you have problems. They aren't like normal tech help and several here have finally ended up using them after hours of trying fixes and then getting it going in just minutes with Samsung live chat.

redlamar

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
after several trials finally I got JB. In my case Kies was freezing after downloading 100% and then process was going to "not responding" state. Here is what I did, I am not sure what finally did it.
1. run Kies as admin
2. I got Kies update notification few hours earlier so try to update that
3. read grunt0300's reply few posts above - I did that USB thing as well
4. I think most important thing I did was PATIENCE. every time Kies was not responding I was killing the process and restarting everything, but this time I waited for about 5-7 mins and finally Upgrade window came up and within 30-40 mins I was up and running.

Kies is one piece of ...I switched from iphone to android (S3) because I didn't like that iTunes was the only way to add anything to my iphone (no jail breaking)...Apart from that I like iTunes. Samsung should invest some time and money to fix this crap software.

cputoys

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I was having similar problems installing the upgrade. It was constantly stalling after downloading the firmware. For me, a fresh install of Kies and also the latest java update did the trick. The tasker running the install process is apparently dependent on java. Anyway, this worked. Got it, love it. :D

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Updated to version 2.5 of Kies. Enabled USB debugging on my GS3. Opened Kies. Connected GS3. Downloading firmware components. Stuck at 99 percent for 5 minutes so far.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
In a way I'm glad that it is only available via Kies at the moment. That will save me, and probably lots of other people from rushing to download and install it.

It appears that are still some teething problems.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Updated to version 2.5 of Kies. Enabled USB debugging on my GS3. Opened Kies. Connected GS3. Downloading firmware components. Stuck at 99 percent for 5 minutes so far.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
I was stuck at 99% for about four or five tries. The first time I let it sit at 99% for about 45 minutes. I was concerned about disconnecting the phone but I did it anyway. I then plugged my phone back in and the computer would not recognize it. I rebooted my computer and rebooted the phone and again went through the whole process, and it was stuck at 99%. I disconnected and went through the same process three or four more times and then finally the whole update went past 99%.
I wish I could give you more info, but I didn't do anything different when the phone finally did update. (FYI, I am using Vista 64 bit.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc