Now that we officially have Jelly Bean what are your thoughts?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Well one thing I have noticed, really two things:

My RAM is way, way up and my battery is going much faster., I was getting about 19 hours on average for battery use. Guess there are more apps now that I might need to disable.
I deliberately left my phone turned on from 12:30am after the update and at 9:26am now I have 80% battery left which seems much better than before JB. I have push sync w/ MS Exchange Server and made a few calendar entries as well as received a few emails overnight. Besides Lookout no other apps are running. Since I've only had my phone since Black Friday I haven't had the chance to use it enough to comment on the differences between JB and GB. My notification bar is still black, what color is yours Kelly? Are you using a non-stock launcher? I can't comment on the RAM because 1) not sure how to check it & 2) never checked it before update so I don't have a baseline. I do not like how the emails now display, I have to zoom in to get them to fit the screen. No clue what the point of making emails display like that is. I'm going to leave my phone unplugged until it drops to 30% or so and see how long that takes. I was told by an individual I regard as very knowledgeable that Samsung made a decimal point mistake in the previous OS that was causing excessive battery usage and JB corrected it. I've not read that either here or on xda (which I just started reading so maybe there is something about it there that I haven't seen yet) so I can't comment on whether it's true or not.

Last edited:

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Check your stock browser. Mine is a little laggy.

In the internet browser, Swype does not auto space. It works great in other applications, but it is buggy in in the browser. Go to a web page that has comments and try typing with swype.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

anon(843178)

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
- I appreciate Project Butter as a long time iPhone user and current iPad user. Apps open and close absolutely instantly without any stutter or delay 99% of the time. It's the same with the home button, the app drawer, the multi-tasking menu.. it's easily noticeable where Project Butter is working. I think the animation when you tap to open a folder takes too long though; it's inconsistent with how fast everything else is and makes it seem like it's lagging. It's also disappointing when a particular app is still a little sluggish when the rest of the OS isn't hardly at all, but oh well.

- Apparently driving mode will transcribe your incoming texts and emails, etc. and let you dictate responses somehow. I haven't put it to use yet.

- Good Now is nice, but it should be accessible from the lock screen by default. I love the way stock android does it, with quick access the Google Now and the camera. I've turned it on though and will see how it helps me in my daily life over the next few weeks. Google Now can be accessed with a long press of the home button and then a tap of the middle icon. On the home screen it can be accessed with a long press of the menu button. A long press of the menu button will always access search in whatever application you're in. Google Now can also be accessed from the Voice Search icon. Google Now replaces Google Search, so anyway you could access Search will now bring you to Google Now.

**I'm not sure how much battery Google Now will draw yet, but if you're battery conscious you can go into Google Now -> Hit the menu button -> tap settings -> tap Goggle Now, and you'll get a list of all of Google Now's functions. You can disable them and their notifications individually. For instance the weather notification is on by default. I bet that draws a bit of power, so I disabled it.**

- There are little changes all over the place. Some are Samsung TouchWiz changes, some are Android Jelly Bean changes. The notification bar, along with its changed appearance allows you to expand notifications with a two-finger drag down. There's more to play with in the settings like a Do Not Disturb mode. The menu button has more options in most places.

- Battery life seems to be the same so far.

Last edited:

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Digging it so far, gotta play with it some more. It actually made this app better, haha. Doesn't force close when I try too go back after exiting it anymore.

uploadfromtaptalk1354634009876.jpg

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Couple of questions now that we are upgraded:
1. Can you remove the 'apps' icon from the drawer?
2. Is there a universal search? (i.e. search for apps on your phone
3. Can you remove the Blocking Mode icon from the status bar when it's not active?
4. What is driving mode? how does it work?
5. Can you no longer drag and drop apps to create folders? do you have to use the menu option?
6. I have 'notifications' on the stock email app (circle with number of unread messages), how can you get it on gMail or other apps?

Thanks for your input.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
My phone seems MUCH snappier, no lag. Lately I have been having some intermittent lag issues with Nova Launcher, and Swype but all is well in 4.1.1 I'll need to dig around, and see what else I notice after a full days use, but so far I'm loving this update.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Odd my RAM went from 1.08 DOWN to 668.

In Google Now it says you can wake it by saying "Google". Can this be done from the home screen while Now is closed? Really wishing I could wake it from the home screen like Siri on the iPhone.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Odd my RAM went from 1.08 DOWN to 668.

In Google Now it says you can wake it by saying "Google". Can this be done from the home screen while Now is closed? Really wishing I could wake it from the home screen like Siri on the iPhone.
Unfortunately I think the only way to activate Google Now is to long press the home button, and press the google button in the middle. That or activate voice search in the search bar.

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
My phone seems MUCH snappier, no lag. Lately I have been having some intermittent lag issues with Nova Launcher, and Swype but all is well in 4.1.1 I'll need to dig around, and see what else I notice after a full days use, but so far I'm loving this update.

I had the same issue with nova, but I rebooted again and it seems to be working fine now.

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I think the only way to activate Google Now is to long press the home button, and press the google button in the middle. That or activate voice search in the search bar.

I set Google as one of my lockscreen apps, and it comes up that way too.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Love it! Phone is smooth as butter! Radio picks up stronger signal...I see too that AT&T changed APN settings for LTE from "pta" to "phone" when I was originally told that the APN "phone" is for HSPA only but oh well. My battery is lasting longer too

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue with nova, but I rebooted again and it seems to be working fine now.

Looks like I spoke to soon. When I close an app my home screen sometimes goes blank until I swipe from the left or right and then appears again. Irritating.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
For those that updated to JB, I have a couple of questions:

- does Driving Mode function as before, all text messages are read as received, event reminders are read aloud?

- can Google Now be used to open applications as S voice does? I use S voice in car for hands free.

- can one dictate a text message to Google Now and send it? If driving mode is enabled, will the answer text be read aloud?

Thanks ahead to all that answer!

- Yes Driving Mode should work the same
- Google Now CAN open applicatons
- Yes you can dictate text and send using google now, idk about it reading aloud though..also seems like it wont send automatticaly, it will display what you said, and then it will ask if you want to send, which you hav to click send message

With that being said, I LOVE this update! Phone is much snappier and smoother
Also battery life seems about the same, but not more lags and freezes
My only complaint is the grey notification bar, wish it was black...either way I removed it with Nova Launcher

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
- Yes Driving Mode should work the same
- Google Now CAN open applicatons
- Yes you can dictate text and send using google now, idk about it reading aloud though..also seems like it wont send automatticaly, it will display what you said, and then it will ask if you want to send, which you hav to click send message

With that being said, I LOVE this update! Phone is much snappier and smoother
Also battery life seems about the same, but not more lags and freezes
My only complaint is the grey notification bar, wish it was black...either way I removed it with Nova Launcher

Wish i could say the same. My phone is constantly freezing/rebooting since the update. I've narrowed it down to either: Nova, Juice Defender, or believe it or not, having LTE turned on. May have to factory reset and start over. UGH

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
CM10 is way better than this.

Has CM10 fixed the BT audio issues? Have they fixed the camera FC issues? Have they fixed the home button double click to wake issues? Have they fixed all the other issues that Stock TW doesn't have, taking advantage of all the phone offers? What? No? Didn't think so, no CM10 is not better, it's just different.

One feature from CM10 that I wish Samsung didn't mess with is the Blocking Mode. I'm fairly certain that it's just a skin over the 'Quiet Hours' feature in stock JB, I don't think it's CM10 specific. I prefer 'Quiet Hours' over Blocking Mode because it was able to completely silence the phone down to no haptic for the timeframe you specify. Slight difference but I feel that 'Quiet Hours' implements the feature better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy