Now that we officially have Jelly Bean what are your thoughts?

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I need to dive into this update a little further, and use it more extensively but so far my initial review is positive.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
If you disable S Voice double clicking brings you to Google Voice Dial. Google Now is still hidden behind a long press and clicking the middle button on the screen. Shame. Update, I restarted my phone and now double clicking the home button does nothing?

Beaming doesn't seem to work with standard Nexus devices, or at least the Gallery app doesn't know anything about it. I disabled S Beam and tried to transfer a photo to my Nexus 7 and it doesn't seem to know what to do. Boo Samsung.

Holding down the power button now gets you easy options to mute the device.

In the Notifications menu I think they swapped out Mobile Data for Driving Mode, which I still have no idea what it does.

Don't really notice too much speed difference in the UI. It was already pretty fast, maybe a little bit here and there.

Mail now has fit to screen but has an annoying habit that when you tap the email, it zooms back in anyway.

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Initial impressions are that the phone feels more responsive. Apps and menus load more quickly. Have had a couple FC and TW crashed on me twice. I don't care for the new folders display. And another thing that's really annoying me right now is that if I go to an app that's in a folder, when I hit the home button, it takes me back to the homescreen with the folder still open. So I have to hit home again or back.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've not done much with it yet, but wished they had left the notification bar black. I noticed it the color change immediately, but I also notice little things like that, those are "big" things to me..it really, really bugs me.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
While I'm glad it was released my initial response is "What's the big deal?" I noted a few minor differences but can't really figure out what all the fuss was about. To be honest unless I go to my settings and note the date and time up top and a few of the menu items arranged different I can't tell I had an update

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
There is a new icon for just plain Google. That is Google Now. You'll have to put it on your home screen.

BTW Here is my test of Google Now v. Siri. Ask both "what is the meaning of life the universe and everything?" Only google now gets it right.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Can't decide if i should stay with Nova Launcher or try the new default. Also noticed 'driving mode' what is it? Where did mobile data go?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well one thing I have noticed, really two things:

My RAM is way, way up and my battery is going much faster., I was getting about 19 hours on average for battery use. Guess there are more apps now that I might need to disable.

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well one thing I have noticed, really two things:

My RAM is way, way up and my battery is going much faster., I was getting about 19 hours on average for battery use. Guess there are more apps now that I might need to disable.
Noticed the same thing. He also had 3 crashes this morning.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
For those that updated to JB, I have a couple of questions:

- the last ota update removed the option to select Wi-Fi bandwidth as well the ability to connect to 5 GHz bandwidth. Has JB restored this option?

- does Driving Mode function as before, all text messages are read as received, event reminders are read aloud?

- can Google Now be used to open applications as S voice does? I use S voice in car for hands free.

- can one dictate a text message to Google Now and send it? If driving mode is enabled, will the answer text be read aloud?

Thanks ahead to all that answer!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
For those that updated to JB, I have a couple of questions:

- the last ota update removed the option to select Wi-Fi bandwidth as well the ability to connect to 5 GHz bandwidth. Has JB restored this option?

- does Driving Mode function as before, all text messages are read as received, event reminders are read aloud?

- can Google Now be used to open applications as S voice does? I use S voice in car for hands free.

- can one dictate a text message to Google Now and send it? If driving mode is enabled, will the answer text be read aloud?

Thanks ahead to all that answer!

I don't see anything that lets you choose any of that, but when I just turned wifi on, I saw a network named (the normal name).5GHz and I've never seen that on the list of networks before.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My phone has randomly rebooted 3 times this morning. Not good.

That happened to my Captivate after the GB upgrade. I got a level 2 tech, we went through some things, one that did include a factory reset. I still had the issue, he sent me over to the store to trade my phone in. Got a new phone and upgraded to GB again and didn't have an issue after that.

feenixfly

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Same feelings here. Don't know what's the hype about either. The phone before the update was already blazingly fast, it's just slightly snappier with the update and some changes in notification. I don't really use Google Now so it's not really much of an update for me.. Oh well.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
And the keyboard outs much better than it was before, to miss at least I'll be switching between stock and swiftkey now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Killed the hotspot toggle shortcut. Why would Samsung do that? It's one thing to add functionality, why reduce it for no reason?

Edit: never mind, looks like AT&T added an app/icon that doesn't the same thing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463