Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Now that we officially have Jelly Bean what are your thoughts?

I need to dive into this update a little further, and use it more extensively but so far my initial review is positive.
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!

Default Re: Now that we officially have Jelly Bean what are your thoughts?

I have noticed the phones responsiveness is much snappier.

My camera app did not update, still just like it was before jelly bean.. Anyone else?

If you disable S Voice double clicking brings you to Google Voice Dial. Google Now is still hidden behind a long press and clicking the middle button on the screen. Shame. Update, I restarted my phone and now double clicking the home button does nothing?

Beaming doesn't seem to work with standard Nexus devices, or at least the Gallery app doesn't know anything about it. I disabled S Beam and tried to transfer a photo to my Nexus 7 and it doesn't seem to know what to do. Boo Samsung.

Holding down the power button now gets you easy options to mute the device.

In the Notifications menu I think they swapped out Mobile Data for Driving Mode, which I still have no idea what it does.

Don't really notice too much speed difference in the UI. It was already pretty fast, maybe a little bit here and there.

Mail now has fit to screen but has an annoying habit that when you tap the email, it zooms back in anyway.

ROM
    Stock

Initial impressions are that the phone feels more responsive. Apps and menus load more quickly. Have had a couple FC and TW crashed on me twice. I don't care for the new folders display. And another thing that's really annoying me right now is that if I go to an app that's in a folder, when I hit the home button, it takes me back to the homescreen with the folder still open. So I have to hit home again or back.
    Feature phones > Motorola Q > Palm Pre > Samsung Replenish > Samsung Galaxy S3 > Moto X

I've not done much with it yet, but wished they had left the notification bar black. I noticed it the color change immediately, but I also notice little things like that, those are "big" things to me..it really, really bugs me.

While I'm glad it was released my initial response is "What's the big deal?" I noted a few minor differences but can't really figure out what all the fuss was about. To be honest unless I go to my settings and note the date and time up top and a few of the menu items arranged different I can't tell I had an update

So far so good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

There is a new icon for just plain Google. That is Google Now. You'll have to put it on your home screen.

BTW Here is my test of Google Now v. Siri. Ask both "what is the meaning of life the universe and everything?" Only google now gets it right.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Can't decide if i should stay with Nova Launcher or try the new default. Also noticed 'driving mode' what is it? Where did mobile data go?

Well one thing I have noticed, really two things:

My RAM is way, way up and my battery is going much faster., I was getting about 19 hours on average for battery use. Guess there are more apps now that I might need to disable.
    spartanrob1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post

My RAM is way, way up and my battery is going much faster., I was getting about 19 hours on average for battery use. Guess there are more apps now that I might need to disable.
    Noticed the same thing. He also had 3 crashes this morning.

For those that updated to JB, I have a couple of questions:

- the last ota update removed the option to select Wi-Fi bandwidth as well the ability to connect to 5 GHz bandwidth. Has JB restored this option?

- does Driving Mode function as before, all text messages are read as received, event reminders are read aloud?

- can Google Now be used to open applications as S voice does? I use S voice in car for hands free.

- can one dictate a text message to Google Now and send it? If driving mode is enabled, will the answer text be read aloud?

Thanks ahead to all that answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sailindawg View Post
    For those that updated to JB, I have a couple of questions:

- the last ota update removed the option to select Wi-Fi bandwidth as well the ability to connect to 5 GHz bandwidth. Has JB restored this option?

- does Driving Mode function as before, all text messages are read as received, event reminders are read aloud?

- can Google Now be used to open applications as S voice does? I use S voice in car for hands free.

- can one dictate a text message to Google Now and send it? If driving mode is enabled, will the answer text be read aloud?

Thanks ahead to all that answer!
    I don't see anything that lets you choose any of that, but when I just turned wifi on, I saw a network named (the normal name).5GHz and I've never seen that on the list of networks before.

My phone has randomly rebooted 3 times this morning. Not good.

Snappy! And I love the folders!

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by spartanrob1 View Post
    My phone has randomly rebooted 3 times this morning. Not good.
    That happened to my Captivate after the GB upgrade. I got a level 2 tech, we went through some things, one that did include a factory reset. I still had the issue, he sent me over to the store to trade my phone in. Got a new phone and upgraded to GB again and didn't have an issue after that.

Same feelings here. Don't know what's the hype about either. The phone before the update was already blazingly fast, it's just slightly snappier with the update and some changes in notification. I don't really use Google Now so it's not really much of an update for me.. Oh well.
    "M'aiq does not understand what is so impressive about shouting. M'aiq can shout whenever he wants." - M'aiq
    Thanked by:

And the keyboard outs much better than it was before, to miss at least I'll be switching between stock and swiftkey now.

AzD

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Killed the hotspot toggle shortcut. Why would Samsung do that? It's one thing to add functionality, why reduce it for no reason?

Edit: never mind, looks like AT&T added an app/icon that doesn't the same thing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post

I deliberately left my phone turned on from 12:30am after the update and at 9:26am now I have 80% battery left which seems much better than before JB. I have push sync w/ MS Exchange Server and made a few calendar entries as well as received a few emails overnight. Besides Lookout no other apps are running. Since I've only had my phone since Black Friday I haven't had the chance to use it enough to comment on the differences between JB and GB. My notification bar is still black, what color is yours Kelly? Are you using a non-stock launcher? I can't comment on the RAM because 1) not sure how to check it & 2) never checked it before update so I don't have a baseline. I do not like how the emails now display, I have to zoom in to get them to fit the screen. No clue what the point of making emails display like that is. I'm going to leave my phone unplugged until it drops to 30% or so and see how long that takes. I was told by an individual I regard as very knowledgeable that Samsung made a decimal point mistake in the previous OS that was causing excessive battery usage and JB corrected it. I've not read that either here or on xda (which I just started reading so maybe there is something about it there that I haven't seen yet) so I can't comment on whether it's true or not.

Check your stock browser. Mine is a little laggy.

In the internet browser, Swype does not auto space. It works great in other applications, but it is buggy in in the browser. Go to a web page that has comments and try typing with swype.

Sent from my Evo Lte with a sick Sense of humor with a rating of 4.0!

- I appreciate Project Butter as a long time iPhone user and current iPad user. Apps open and close absolutely instantly without any stutter or delay 99% of the time. It's the same with the home button, the app drawer, the multi-tasking menu.. it's easily noticeable where Project Butter is working. I think the animation when you tap to open a folder takes too long though; it's inconsistent with how fast everything else is and makes it seem like it's lagging. It's also disappointing when a particular app is still a little sluggish when the rest of the OS isn't hardly at all, but oh well.

- Apparently driving mode will transcribe your incoming texts and emails, etc. and let you dictate responses somehow. I haven't put it to use yet.

- Good Now is nice, but it should be accessible from the lock screen by default. I love the way stock android does it, with quick access the Google Now and the camera. I've turned it on though and will see how it helps me in my daily life over the next few weeks. Google Now can be accessed with a long press of the home button and then a tap of the middle icon. On the home screen it can be accessed with a long press of the menu button. A long press of the menu button will always access search in whatever application you're in. Google Now can also be accessed from the Voice Search icon. Google Now replaces Google Search, so anyway you could access Search will now bring you to Google Now.

**I'm not sure how much battery Google Now will draw yet, but if you're battery conscious you can go into Google Now -> Hit the menu button -> tap settings -> tap Goggle Now, and you'll get a list of all of Google Now's functions. You can disable them and their notifications individually. For instance the weather notification is on by default. I bet that draws a bit of power, so I disabled it.**

- There are little changes all over the place. Some are Samsung TouchWiz changes, some are Android Jelly Bean changes. The notification bar, along with its changed appearance allows you to expand notifications with a two-finger drag down. There's more to play with in the settings like a Do Not Disturb mode. The menu button has more options in most places.

- Battery life seems to be the same so far.

ROM
    Intergalactic 2.4

Digging it so far, gotta play with it some more. It actually made this app better, haha. Doesn't force close when I try too go back after exiting it anymore.

Now that we officially have Jelly Bean what are your thoughts?-uploadfromtaptalk1354634009876.jpg

Couple of questions now that we are upgraded:
    1. Can you remove the 'apps' icon from the drawer?
    2. Is there a universal search? (i.e. search for apps on your phone
    3. Can you remove the Blocking Mode icon from the status bar when it's not active?
    4. What is driving mode? how does it work?
    5. Can you no longer drag and drop apps to create folders? do you have to use the menu option?
    6. I have 'notifications' on the stock email app (circle with number of unread messages), how can you get it on gMail or other apps?

Thanks for your input.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast