If you can't update to JB 4.1 via Kies, READ HERE

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
READ FIRST: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...how-unroot-your-t-galaxy-s3-return-stock.html

Firmware archive | Samsung Updates

-EXTRACT OR UNZIP THE JB 4.1.1 FILE YOU JUST DOWNLOADED. After unzipped, you should have a file named: "I747UCDLK3_I747ATTDLK3_I747UCDLK3_HOME.tar.md5". You'll use this file in step number 4

-Download Odin 3.07 if you don't have it installed on your pc. Download link was provided in the "PREPARING YOUR COMPUTER" section...if you read it :)

=======================================

Follow the steps 1-3 from "USING ODIN" instruction here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...how-unroot-your-t-galaxy-s3-return-stock.html

Step 4: browse to the jb4.1.1 file you downloaded/extracted in the prep section, filename should be: "I747UCDLK3_I747ATTDLK3_I747UCDLK3_HOME.tar.md5" select/choose that file

Keep following the rest of the steps

========================================

I was having trouble updating the firmware. Kies said 100% completed, but the phone never passed the "downloading..." screen. I uninstalled the reinstalled Kies a few times. No luck. I copied the file to the SD card and install it via the recovery mode, no luck.

The steps above works fine for me and it should work for you too.

Good luck.

PS: Let me know if you need step-by-step instruction.

scottus2hottus

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
does this work for non rooted devices I am having the same problem where kies will recognize my device start the download but won't go further than the download portion?

TeritaM

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I can't get my device to connect to Kies for mac or windows.
When I try to go into download mode (volume down+home+power), the phone just reboots.
Anyone else having these problems?

RobbyRob

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
You're holding it too long. When you press vol dwn+home+power when you see the screen turn on let go of the power button while continuing to hold vol dwn+home. That should do the trick.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
kies worked fine for me... was updated in less the 15 min.
i posted a thread with step by step instructions, and one thing to note was making sure you had at least 50% battery life.
been on JB every since and loving it!

Ghostnyc

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Had a few minor issues upgrading to JB on non-rooted S3. Short list of things to be sure you got before attempting update from Windows PC

- Be sure to update KIES, there is an update available
- Disable Microsoft Security Essentials
- Be sure device battery is charged up above 75%
- Disable lock screen on device
- If possible use wired connection not WiFi

GS3 is my first android device, just got it 2 weeks ago. Not the smoothest update, but like I said the issues were minor albeit annoying.

krayzie260

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I can't seem to get the firmware to download from the provided link. Is there a certain way it has to be done? Sorry, Im a beginner with Android.

pre4lifeforce

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Kies is a nightmare. I spent half of the day trying to get that stupid program to work. This is a much easier work-around and had my phone running the latest firmware in under an hour. I really wish I had found this tutorial before I re-installed kies 3 times to no avail.