Replace S-Voice with Google Now in 4.1.1?

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
4.1.1 is out, but the only feature I cared about, google now does not seem to be well integrated. I was hoping google now would replace s-voice, but that is not the case. Is there any way to force this. Primarily bring up google now instead of s-voice when you double tap the home button.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
4.1.1 is out, but the only feature I cared about, google now does not seem to be well integrated. I was hoping google now would replace s-voice, but that is not the case. Is there any way to force this. Primarily bring up google now instead of s-voice when you double tap the home button.

I haven't seen anything on this, but if you disable S-Voice and then double click the Home Button, it will bring up Google Voice Dialing.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I got that behavior too. Then it went away when I restarted.

Anyway, this should help with setting Google Now to double click:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...cHBzcG90LmhvbWUyc2hvcnRjdXQiXQ&token=f5MzrkC7

That app doesn't have the most intuitive instructions but basically set the first option to the Google app. Then set Step 3 to TouchWiz home or whatever launcher you want. Then when you click the close button, select Home2 Shortcut and the Always option.

Also on your lock screen, add the Google icon so you can access it from there as well.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I got that behavior too. Then it went away when I restarted.

Anyway, this should help with setting Google Now to double click:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...cHBzcG90LmhvbWUyc2hvcnRjdXQiXQ&token=z1qYEf1c

That app doesn't have the most intuitive instructions but basically set the first option to the Google app. Then set Step 3 to TouchWiz home or whatever launcher you want. Then when you click the close button, select Home2 Shortcut and the Always option.

Also on your lock screen, add the Google icon so you can access it from there as well.

The final step just closes the app without letting me choose the Home2 Shortcut. Absolute fail.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This didn't work at all for me.

I think this is the big deal:

Then when you click the close button, select Home2 Shortcut and the Always option.

I skipped right over, not reading and used "TouchWiz" have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and even clear the data and don't get that dialog up now.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Nope no matter what I do...nothing, uninstalled/reinstalled and still nothing.

I know, that is what I said..once you choose it, can't seem to "unchoose" it no matter what you do. I've cleared the data and uninstalled and reinstalled again. It's not clearing something off somewhere when you uninstall it.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I got rid of S-Voice double tap(turned it off completely) and obviously tried to have Now as the double tap but now nothing happens.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I got rid of S-Voice double tap(turned it off completely) and obviously tried to have Now as the double tap but now nothing happens.

I understand, don't think you are seeing what I am saying. When I first installed I missed the part about "choose Home2" or whatever the name was and I picked TouchWiz. Never could get that dialog to choose to pop up again, no matter what I have done. Trying still right now.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
You can try to install another launcher. When Android sees another launcher it should start asking again. Otherwise, also try clearing defaults on the TouchWiz Home app. You'll find that under the "All" section in Applications Manager.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You can try to install another launcher. When Android sees another launcher it should start asking again. Otherwise, also try clearing defaults on the TouchWiz Home app. You'll find that under the "All" section in Applications Manager.

I didn't try that for "TouchWiz" let me try that and if that doesn't work, install and uninstall another launcher. I'm seriously getting ready to do a reset because I want that button to work that badly.,.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I understand, don't think you are seeing what I am saying. When I first installed I missed the part about "choose Home2" or whatever the name was and I picked TouchWiz. Never could get that dialog to choose to pop up again, no matter what I have done. Trying still right now.

That dialogue NEVER popped up for me. The third step or what ever it is says hit close and then choose Home2 but this never happened it just closes the app. Even after reinstalling it the dialogue box never comes up.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That dialogue NEVER popped up for me. The third step or what ever it is says hit close and then choose Home2 but this never happened it just closes the app. Even after reinstalling it the dialogue box never comes up.

I didn't think it popped up for me either, when it popped up, in my mind I was seeing this part, step 3:
Then set Step 3 to TouchWiz home or whatever launcher you want.

But it wasn't, it was step #5, I realized after it flashed up there and I just picked TouchWiz.

I cleared the data on TouchWiz, didn't help, so I installed APEX. When I hit the home button after it installed and it asked me to choose a deafult action, I picked the Home2 then (I had it back on my phone) then oppened the Home2 and just went through the steps again, even though I had them chosen already and when I hit the close button, the option can up again and I picked Home2.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I think installing another launcher is what did it, I had the choice then to choose TouchWiz, APEX or Home2 and picked Home2 then and then went into Home2 and it asked me again when it was supposed to ask me and now it works!! Double clicking Home pulls up Google Now. Thanks!!

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Guys, you can just go to your Application manager to change program defaults.

Settings > Application Manager > All Apps > TouchWiz home. Tap 'Clear defaults'. Press home and you should be prompted on which app to use, select the Home 2 Shortcut app.

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Nova Launcher fixes this beautifully. I have the home button mapped so when your on the main home screen a short press launches Google Voice. A long press on the Menu button launches Google Now.

I find that Nova launcher is a great replacement for TW but still lets you access the TW features when you want.