Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default MicroSDHC card problems, could use some help.

Whatsup guys.
    First time here on the forums.
    I come to you with a small problem.
    I have been an iPhone 4 user for the past two years and recently just made the switch to the Galaxy S3 on Black Friday (for $.96 woohoo!).
    The phone did not come with a memory card so I just bought a 32gb Sandisk Ultra MicroSDHC Class 10 card from Best Buy the other day. I have been using the card ONLY for music files, which I have been adding by dragging and dropping them once the card is plugged into my comp and basically filled up all but 5 gigs of it. For the first couple of days, everything was fine, but now I'm starting to experience some problems.

Today I went to go listen to an album when I noticed it wasn't in my player. I thought it was strange, but remembered that when I first added all my music and popped the card into my phone, it took several minutes for all the files to show up in my player. I decided to unmount the card and popped it back in hoping the file would show up. No luck, same problem. I unmounted again and once I put it back in, noticed that an extra 12 gigs of space was now available on my card. For some reason, many files on the card had suddenly vanished.
    "WTF?!?!" I asked myself angrily. Took the card home, plugged it into my comp and noticed that indeed the files were no longer on the card and had been deleted seemingly on their own. So I transferred the missing files back onto the card and placed it back in my phone. Went to access the player and noticed that not all the files were showing up. Decided to unmount again and put it back in. Most of the files showed up in my player, but this time around 4 gigs of music had been deleted again from the card for no apparent reason. Can anybody explain what the hell is going on?

Here are the facts of this case:

- my phone is a 16gb At&t S3
    - my comp is a 2005 Intel iMac
    - I use the Amazon mp3 player app to play my music on my phone
    - I use iTunes for music on my comp
    - I have many .m4a files
    - the card was never formatted out of the box, I just opened it and plugged it in
    - the card is being plugged into my comp with a Dynex USB card reader, but I'm almost positive that's not the culprit
    - phone has not been rooted and is in new out of the box condition, never dropped, gotten wet, etc...
    - this is the card I am using SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card SDSDQUI-032G-A11 - Best Buy

My questions:

- is this a card error or a phone error?
    - do I need to format my card before use?
    - would updating to Jelly Bean maybe solve this problem?
    - what is this lump on my arm?
    - was Roswell really a cover up?
    - am I pretty?

In all seriousness, though, I'm sure I sound like a n00b, which I kinda am when it comes to Android, but I really want an explanation for all this.
    I did some research on the "Google" and found people with similar problems, but not exactly the same as mine.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Mike

PS - the S3 completely blows the iPhone out of the water. So happy I switched.

Default Re: MicroSDHC card problems, could use some help.

I don't deal with my card except for pictures, same card that I got for free in my T-Mobile MyTouch.

Now I've heard some people talking about an issue that sounds something like this, with music disappearing from their phone, but it has always been an iphone and they have always talked about itunes and the issue.

I just wanted to let you know that no one is ignoring you and someone will be around that will have some knowledge on this for you.

Welcome to the forums and welcome to the World of Android, we like it in Android World

23 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Hey Mike,
    I too am a recent convert from iOS to Android using the SGS3 and have had a similar problem with microSD cards. My issue was with all sorts of media being transferred from the internal memory to the microSD. I initially purchased a PNY Class 10 32GB microSDHC, formatted it and tried to move files: nothing. The phone, when being unlocked would give me a message of "SD card unexpectedly unmounted" immediately followed by "preparing SD card". I was like WTH!?
    Anyhow, I tried the microSDHC in other devices, did some extensive forum searching, and came to the conclusion that PNY just wasn't cutting it (I don't know exactly why. My wife has a 16GB PNY Class 10 MicroSDHC and hers is fine). Could've just been a bad card. I switched it out for a SanDisk 64Gb microSDXC, formatted it when put in the phone and everything has been fantastic.

I too use a Mac Book Pro and iMac and I transfer most media through Kies via USB / microUSB cable. Try formatting the card while in your phone and giving it another go. If it doesn't work try exchanging the card (if you still have the receipt). My experience so far is that microSD cards are hit and miss.

Hope this helps.

- Will

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

472 Posts
    Stock: Unrooted

Hey whatsup Mike, and another hearty Welcome! to the AC Forums!

First off, lets cover all the really important things:

– The 'lump on your arm' could be where all the missing files are hiding.

– Roswell was really a cover-up. Proof? Anyone who's a regular listener to costtocoastam . . can verify it was definitely a cover-up. :rolleyes:

– Are you 'pretty'? That ones easy. . . .all you have to do is sing this song:

, over and over and over, and over, every morning and all the day long, each and everyday for the rest of your life.

Okay, 'in all seriousness', I have the exact same: SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card SDSDQUI-032G-A11 — as you do, except that I bought it at Radio Shack, and like you, I just popped it in–without trying to format it–right out of the box, and it's been working super-duper since day one, approx. 7 weeks back. I don't have as many music files on mine as you do, but I have read here on these forums, as well as over on xda, that some user's think/believe that Sandisk SD cards have the most problems. I tend to think that if that's true....it's probably because Sandisk manufacturers and sells so many, withal such a huge market share.
    So a faulty card would be my first (admitting-ly, hmmm, I really thought that was a word–not very SDcard experienced) guess. After trying to format it and/or exhausting other avenues trying to get it to read correctly and not drop files, you might do well to just off-load/back-up all your music files and return the card for a new replacement–if you still have your receipt.