jelly bean is impressive

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got a 6000 on a benchmark! Also pretty clear that the software is STILL not utilizing the hardware. Seriously, at this point there is no reason why this phone isnt standing toe-to-toe with the Iphone 5. The hardware is fantastic.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Just curious if you're a long time Android user and if you feel the update made your phone head and shoulders better than before. I'm fairly new to Android (about 5 mos) and from what I've seen, many of the updates seem to screw up things, though I am totally stock other than the typical apps like Juice Defender ,Flipboard, games and utility type apps.. My biggest complaint with this phone, coming from an iPhone is the camera, especially indoors. Other than that I have NO regrets and LOVE the big screen and lightning fast responsiveness, not to mention amazing battery life, etc. Thanks.

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Made my phone alot snappier. I agree with the camera especially indoors. Im coming from an iphone also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Jelly bean is a huge improvement over ICS for performance and also comes with some cool features as well like Google Now. I've noticed on my GS3 but still prefer pure Android over touch wiz.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving the new JB update. Apex launcher works amazing with it too. It's been a great week for updates. Google updated their Gmail app, Apex launcher added a notification counter on the Auqumail app, and now JB.

I feel like I have an incredible phone now.

I tried sending a screen shot, but it will not allow me to send file here. Says Error missing required parameters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Just curious if you're a long time Android user and if you feel the update made your phone head and shoulders better than before. I'm fairly new to Android (about 5 mos) and from what I've seen, many of the updates seem to screw up things, though I am totally stock other than the typical apps like Juice Defender ,Flipboard, games and utility type apps.. My biggest complaint with this phone, coming from an iPhone is the camera, especially indoors. Other than that I have NO regrets and LOVE the big screen and lightning fast responsiveness, not to mention amazing battery life, etc. Thanks.

After rebooting a couple of times clear up a browser that seemed to get hung up, the update appears to make my GS3 snappier and smoother. It was late last night when I finally got it to update which I think was mostly due to my desktop pc being more than six years old. I will continue to play with it and post updates.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I thought there was to be a setting that sends calls directly to VM but allows SMS and email to come through. Can't seem to find that.

tazman69

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I thought there was to be a setting that sends calls directly to VM but allows SMS and email to come through. Can't seem to find that.

There is a Blocking Mode (under Device) in the Settings section. This can disable incoming calls, notifications, etc at all times or during a specified time. I have mine set up to only allow calls to be received during the night from certain people in my Contacts list (for emergencies).

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well I updated today and to be honest, I don't see what all the big deal is.. In fact, I don't think my phone is any snappier or 'buttery', though I DO like Voice Search (Google Now). My notification bar is still black too. I also think the new folders animations are cool. I notice that long pressing the home button doesn't launch the task master as fast as it did with ICS though. Am thinking about installing Apex Launcher now just to play around with it. How do you get the Andriod jelly bean animation to run? I have never been able to figure it out even with ICS? I though you go to Settings>About Device>Software version and just tap and hold it, but nothing happens.. No big deal though obviously :)

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I updated today and to be honest, I don't see what all the big deal is.. In fact, I don't think my phone is any snappier or 'buttery', though I DO like Voice Search (Google Now). My notification bar is still black too. I also think the new folders animations are cool. I notice that long pressing the home button doesn't launch the task master as fast as it did with ICS though. Am thinking about installing Apex Launcher now just to play around with it. How do you get the Andriod jelly bean animation to run? I have never been able to figure it out even with ICS? I though you go to Settings>About Device>Software version and just tap and hold it, but nothing happens.. No big deal though obviously :)

It takes a lil while to notice but jb is way smoother than ics. Not taking away from ics either but probably because u have a oem skin on it

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

xunile

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I updated a couple of days ago and liked most of the changes, though it wasn't a major change overall. At first the battery life was much worse, but i shut off the phone off and pulled the battery for a few minutes. Since then the battery life seems about the same. I love the new low light setting in the camera. I am also really liking Google Now.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Smart Stay also appears to work better in low light conditions.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

amastora

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I've updated many S3's at work and from what I can tell, to get the best experience, do a power cycle and make sure your phone is fully charged BEFORE Upgrading.
After the upgrade, to a Factory Reset. This will clear the phone of any unused and incompatible file/settings - and this alone you will get the "True" Jellybean experience. I know you shouldn't "have to do a reset" - but wow what a difference it makes after an upgrade. This goes for all Android phones and tablets. I've upgraded 20 to 30 phones and tablets to JB and so I would tell everyone if they can, do a reset, even if you don't have any issues, you will notice a difference.
The phone just gets better - there is a huge update to the camera that makes low light pictures amazing, check out Samsung's Premium Features Part 1 and 2, for all the cool stuff they are releasing:

Code:
Premium Suite Upgrade for Galaxy S3 (Part 1) - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aM7kQ7sCRE

wjmcd

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from being an iPhone user for years. My only complaint thus far with this Jellybean update to the GS3 is that the stock keyboard continues to remain almost unusable. It's laggy, slow, sometimes unresponsive. It freezes up when typing too fast on it. Default autocorrect settings are useless and don't even add a punctuation mark to "dont" or "wont". What's the point of such a thing?

YES; I know about SwiftKey and was one of the first things I downloaded. That being said, why can't Samsung manufacture a keyboard that's usable or can at least punctuate without having to be tinkered with.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
JB is way smoother... and very noticble with things like task killing. in ICS swiping to close apps quickly there was noticble lag, in JB it is butter and lag free. improved notifications, smoother transitions, and much better app moving.

with JB on this thing the ONLY complaint is the stock keyboard... but nice thing about android is, if you dont like something.... change it! haha!

edit: you beat me to it, lol

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
looks like I'm the only one that the update made their phone slower. My phone just seems choppier. The browser, stock and third party, lags when I am scrolling or just touching links. The browser use to be smooth, but now it is slow. Also when I am scrolling through the homescreen, it lags often. It seems, every time there is an update, it makes the phone worst. Happened to me when I went from froyo to gingerbread on my evo and now this from ice cream to jelly bean.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah do a reset bro. U are gonna notice the difference. Maybe not a much as a aosp version though. And update your apps too

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital