Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mschw006
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unable to upgrade to Jelly Bean

So I have a Galaxy S3 for AT&T and I am unable to upgrade to Jelly Bean via Kies. I am not using Air so that is not the problem. I have tried about 10 times now while restarting my phone and computer multiple times. All it does every single time is go through the prepare process but NEVER actually does the upgrade. It does everything then goes back to the normal screen on Kies of it connecting to the phone then asks if I would like to upgrade.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am starting to get extremely mad at this junk system called Kies. It is crap. If Samsung wants the Galaxy to be a Iphone killer then it needs to fix this program. I never had an issue updating an Iphone. I am completely fed up with this bull

Sorry for the long thread but please give me answers or suggestions. I have been dying for Jelly Bean.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,493 Global Posts

Default Re: Unable to upgrade to Jelly Bean

I would seriously wait a few days, and then try the download\update again.

I'm waiting a few days myself.

There have been several with several problems and I think the main issues have to do with a fresh install vs and upgraded one. This is my suggestion because it is quick and easy. Samsung live chat support is great, not like most tech support, they are 24/7, they are free and they have gotten everyone up and updating in just a few minutes that has contacted them.

Live Chat
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'll try that with them right after this attempt. Turned on USB Debugging hoping it would work. Where do you find the tech support? Im assuming samsung.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Mschw006 View Post
    I'll try that with them right after this attempt. Turned on USB Debugging hoping it would work. Where do you find the tech support? Im assuming samsung.com?
    The blue link in my post will open a chat window ready for you to input the info it is asking and to get a support person. They are really great, I've used them many times.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    The blue link in my post will open a chat window ready for you to input the info it is asking and to get a support person. They are really great, I've used them many times.
    Alright. Thanks a lot! I'm actually on with them now. Will update as soon as I am done with them.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.

Good, they should be able to get you up and started quickly.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

They told me it was the HTC cable I was using. So i grabbed my samsung cable and now Kies wont even recognize the phone as being plugged in.

They told me it was the HTC cable I was using. So i grabbed my samsung cable and now Kies wont even recognize the phone as being plugged in.
    Try one more thing. Turn OFF your computer, while it is off, plug in your phone, then boot it back up. If it doesn't recognize it then, getthem back on live chat. Oh, also, take the phone out of your battery for 60 seconds, not 10 and then turn your phone on before you plug it in and bring your computer back up.

Start Kies again, if it doesn't recognize it, get back on live chat and tell them you have the Samsung cord and what you did about taking the battery out and starting the computer back up AFTER you connected your phone.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I am having this exact same problem! It is as if when it downloads the update to my computer it disconnects and reconnects and then starts all over! So frustrating. Anyone know how to fix? I have unloaded/reloaded/restarted more times than anyone should.

I am on Win8 if that matters, but it connects and does backups and everything else.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Just went through the whole process with the chat support.

Turned off Firewall and Virus
    Wiped data restored phone
    Tried to update still wouldn't.

Tried using Kies Tools to update to JB still couldn't.

Nothing has worked for me and they told me to take my phone to AT&T to see if something is wrong with phone. My phone works fine....

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

Make sure you are on an administrator account as well, not a normal user account. The problem COULD also involve the USB ports on the computer, so use ports on the back instead of front if it is a desktop machine. In general, when you plug the phone in, you SHOULD get a standard popup asking if you want to import pictures or whatever from the phone, without Kies being involved.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Make sure you are on an administrator account as well, not a normal user account. The problem COULD also involve the USB ports on the computer, so use ports on the back instead of front if it is a desktop machine. In general, when you plug the phone in, you SHOULD get a standard popup asking if you want to import pictures or whatever from the phone, without Kies being involved.
    Yes I am on an administer account, and I tried multiple USB ports. I was able to back up and restore my phone (Although restore doesn't reload all your apps and settings)

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

It could be an incompatibility with Windows 8 then. You may need to install Windows XP or 7 under Virtual Box(free from Oracle) if it is a compatibility issue, but then again, USB may not connect through with Windows 8 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by peconicgp View Post
    Yes I am on an administer account, and I tried multiple accounts. I was able to back up and restore my phone (Although restore doesn't reload all your apps and settings)
    After shutting down your security software on the pc. Run kies as administrator.

I apologize if you mentioned you already tried running as administrator I just skimmed over this forum real quick and saw your post.

Edit: My apologies, did not see the mention about being in WIn8. I have seen people say that it worked ok for them in Win8 but it might be one of those hit or miss situations. As was just suggested, Try running kies from another pc to do the update.

I did mine with Windows 8 Pro and had no issues
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Well I'm on my 30th attempt here. First of the day. So far Samsung Support has been extremely unhelpful and barely even responds during chats. They've done nothing to help me, just told me to use Samsung cable and reinstall Kies. Right now I put the phone into Recovery Mode and tried doing Firmware upgrade and Initialization and that doesn't seem to be working. I don't understand what I am doing wrong here
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Well I'm done trying. I give up on this phone. The stupid Samsung cable doesn't even work. I can't get a connection to my computer let alone charge the damn phone. The HTC one actually works but refuses to update it. So Samsung can shove this phone up their ***. This entire process is bull and should not be like this. I have tried upwards of 50 times. And now im done. Nothing works, I have factory reseted, cleared cache, USB Debugging, soft reseted, Recovery mode, did the computer booting thing, I have done every posssible solution and nothing works. Im about to throw this phone out the window and run it over with my car
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I just recently had to return my sgs3 after my phone bricked after attempting to download jelly bean. Samsung stated the reason was due to overload of users trying to download update all at once and it overloaded kies system. Now i am by no means a tech junky but i think thats a load of crap. I never had this issue with anyother phone i've ever owned so i'm wondering if it is a software issue or a phone issue. I returned sgs3 and received a new phone and i was told by tech support to wait a few days and try the update again. I don't have any issues with connecting phone to kies so not sure what happened but would like to hear from everyone if this happened to them and should i do the update or not?

Well I'm done trying. I give up on this phone. The stupid Samsung cable doesn't even work. I can't get a connection to my computer let alone charge the damn phone. The HTC one actually works but refuses to update it. So Samsung can shove this phone up their ***. This entire process is bull and should not be like this. I have tried upwards of 50 times. And now im done. Nothing works, I have factory reseted, cleared cache, USB Debugging, soft reseted, Recovery mode, did the computer booting thing, I have done every posssible solution and nothing works. Im about to throw this phone out the window and run it over with my car
    Thank you Mschw006. This is just how I felt last night ...er, um this morning at around 2:00 AM. I never had a fraction of this much trouble with either iPhones (3GS,4), iPad 2, or various BlackBerrys. I was cussing up a storm when I went to sleep after all the time I wasted on Kies. Yet, you out classed me in the amount of Kies wasted time it appears.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by Swearengen View Post
    Thank you Mschw006. This is just how I felt last night ...er, um this morning at around 2:00 AM. I never had a fraction of this much trouble with either iPhones (3GS,4), iPad 2, or various BlackBerrys. I was cussing up a storm when I went to sleep after all the time I wasted on Kies. Yet, you out classed me in the amount of Kies wasted time it appears.
    I feel your pain man. I'm on my second attempt with a newer samsung cable from my uncles verizon s3. Hopefully this works. 1st attempt failed though.

Please see this thread for a solution.

Jelly Bean won't update or issues after update