How to update to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 via Kies

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
kies is hit or miss, flakey software.

another nice thing about android though is the community and devs.

for those of you still not able to update, it might be time to odin

Kailash Makhija

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried with Kies as per Samsung instructions, lock screen twice they could not help me, I had to go to ATT Service center and they had to flash the memory. and I had to restore from the back up, do not upgrade. as it has bugs which need to be fixed wait for att email or unless you talk to them. It is expected in Jan some time.

riderrick65

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
WOW!!! After reading all these horror stories about upgrading to JB it makes me kinda gun shy about updating my SG3. At the moment I'm still trying to figure out all the different functions of this awesome phone! I am a new-b and still have a lot to learn :eek:

Bob Hale

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I've tried to update my s3 for about five hrs. Kies will recognize my phone but when i start the download it disconnects my phone downloads the firmware to 100% then Kies closes. Ive talked to samsung and they said try another pc. That was after 2 hrs of pc updates and restarts and taking batts in and out. Someone please help....

insanesteve

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I love JB...could not be happier. Screw kies and you the method above. Make sure to back-up and do a factory reset before hand. People that do not before have issues almost every time.

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Did you update to the most current version of Kies? Some have recommended updating Java. Enable USB debugging. Disable strict mode and screen update is developer options. The latter two suggestions will eliminate the flashing red screen border.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

I had.

It's OK though....the day after I asked the question it updated.
Can't put this phone down...AT ALL.:D

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
if your still having issues with kies, try a factory data reset on the phone... if that still doesnt work, just odin and flash the update... instructions are in the rooting page of this forum.

once updated, i would strongly reccomend another reset on a full battery... it ironed out a lot of issues for me. primarily battery life

- - - Updated - - -

if your still having issues with kies, try a factory data reset on the phone... if that still doesnt work, just odin and flash the update... instructions are in the rooting page of this forum.

once updated, i would strongly reccomend another reset on a full battery... it ironed out a lot of issues for me. primarily battery life

Kidrockerz

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Alright, done with the update. Thanks for the information. Seems like the setting is a little bit different from the ICS but that's not a problem, I'll get use to it.

rhomac

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
what Kies failed to mention, if your phone is running ICS it will not update because the new update is for Jelly bean only. It will disconnect usb!

TheKISSarmy

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
To work with Kies on a computer, is it possible to download the JB update using my Google Chromebook or do I need to use my desktop PC? Thanks

datawalla

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Well that was three hours of my life wasted that I will never get back. Kies recognizes my phone but doesn't acknowledge an available update. So I called AT&T. First woman I spoke to was very nice. She tried to connect remotely to my phone to no avail. (That's the second time in a month that's happened.) She checked all her available diagnostics and could find nothing wrong. Finally, when I told her that I was not using the most recent version of Kies, because it was such a pain in the *** to update, she suggested that that must be the problem. So, I said fine, hung up and went through the process of uninstalling Kies through the control panel, downloading the new version from the Samsung website, installing it, going back again and uninstalling the newly updated Samsung mobile device driver, reinstalling the version 1.4.6.0 version (because otherwise I get the Hardware ID missing error), disconnected the computer from the internet, connected the phone and let it update, reconnected the computer to the internet and restarted Kies. And I got a snazzy new version of Kies that still didn't acknowledge any available firmware updates. So I called AT&T back. The guy I spoke to this time looked at my notes from the previous call and I explained everything I had done since and after about 20 minutes he came to the conclusion that the problem was with Kies and not the phone. So he connected me directly to a Samsung technical rep (at least I didn't have to wait on hold at this point). After about a half-hour of talking and trying different things with this person, he acknowledged that he had no idea what was going on or what to do about it and so he wrote a trouble ticket and passed it up to level 2 support. He then put me into their line and told me that someone would be with me shortly. Which was where I waited on hold for 55 minutes. When I finally spoke to someone, she determined in about 30 minutes that the problem likely was with Kies and that there was nothing she or I could do about it. She said she "would send a ticket up to the Kies developers to let them know there was a problem." I had steam coming out of my ears at this point and I wanted to ask her how the f*** that would help me, but I didn't go there. At that point, I did ask her if a copy of the update was available on the Samsung website so that I could update it using Odin. She kind of chuckled and said no, because it's not "supported." I think if she could have, that's exactly what she would have recommended. I was going to root the phone in a few weeks anyway, once its out of warranty in mid-June, but I think it's time. The really infuriating thing is that I spent so much time with AT&T's and Samsung's bull**** that I don't have time to do it right now or I would. It'll probably be another week. With the hundreds of posts online about the myraid problems with Kies, the only way Samsung could not know about them is if they go to great extremes to avoid knowing about them. Did I say three hours? It was probably closer to four. I wish I could reach through the phone and slap somebody at the other end.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae