I WANT MY iPHONE 3S BACK...............

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Why this interests me (as a stock un-rooted, or pre-rooted GS3 user), is because I'm trying to figure-out the best way to back-up 'minor' things like: notes in my Notes app; S Memo's; stock browser Bookmarks; current home screen folders, and several website links?not necessarily bookmarked?that I like to keep on my home screens.

I think you can back up a lot of that stuff, but not restore it without root, but I may be wrong.

For Google's apps, chances are most of the data is actually up on their servers to start with and any data you have on the phone is a cached copy. So if you're saving stuff in Google Drive, Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Contacts (People), etc, you're good.

But each phone manufacturer adds their own special sauce, like HTC adds an overlay to "people" and adds the concept of a phone book that is resident only on the phone and must be backed up using HTC's or Verizon's (in my case) special toolkit. So I only create contacts on my actual phone long enough to get to a computer where I can re-enter the data directly into my Google contact database where it's safely backed up. Then Sense bugs me about "linking" the two contacts.

It's the same problem with game data - really there should be a stock way to "save" the entire home directory and "restore" it, and that should be able to be done over the wire to a Google server somewhere. Of course, that would depend on app developers all putting their data in the home directory like is (generally) done in Linux.

Samsung probably does similar things with their S-stuff. My wife has a Galaxy S2 but she also uses Google's webpage for contact management and has not used any Samsung-specific programs that I know of.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
what you really should do is setup a dropbox and keep them sync'd that way, or at least backed up
I think I actually have one because I have 3 photos on my phone that are under a file called "dropbox" and they are older pics. The actual pictures I take, I always move over the ones I want to keep, the main issue is wallpapers, ringtones, etc. I wish I could tell my phone what directory to save files to when I download them or take a picture.

After the issues I've been having since I upgraded to Jelly Bean, I should really perform a hard reset. I'm this ---- close to doing so.

I haven't had any problems, just that random reboot one time, but if you are having problems, you should do a reset.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think I actually have one because I have 3 photos on my phone that are under a file called "dropbox" and they are older pics. The actual pictures I take, I always move over the ones I want to keep, the main issue is wallpapers, ringtones, etc. I wish I could tell my phone what directory to save files to when I download them or take a picture.

I haven't had any problems, just that random reboot one time, but if you are having problems, you should do a reset.

I have all my stuff go there then just delete the crap I don't want and it syncs...

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
what you really should do is setup a dropbox and keep them sync'd that way, or at least backed up

After the issues I've been having since I upgraded to Jelly Bean, I should really perform a hard reset. I'm this ---- close to doing so.

I have all my stuff go there then just delete the crap I don't want and it syncs...

To go to the dropbox folder on your card?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It auto uploads all my pictures to dropbox as soon as I take it and then I go in and delete what I do not want

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

It auto uploads all my pictures to dropbox as soon as I take it and then I go in and delete what I do not want

But it won't automatically upload other pics, such as wallpapers?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No I do not think it is. You can back up that stuff with your Google account though. It is one of the options you have during setup. I don't like it though because it spreads the info across too many platforms.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I always turn off the sync photos directly to Dropbox option. Most photos I take are only to post to Twitter or Instagram, hence I don't really need to keep them.

Anyway I didn't mean to go off topic :)

lhweb

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
In Gmail check your calendar and contacts to verify your phone is syncing. I also have my pictures uploaded to Google + to back them up.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think my "drop box" photos I have are the Picassa Web photos or whatever google calls them, though I had it set to upload all my pics to google before I reset and it didn't...

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
thats what I am talking about google backing things up across to many areas. Picasa for one, gmail for another, play store for another..etc..

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm back to the factory reset on my S3 and it's working great! The "synch" and backup worked as ya'll said!
I apologize for getting a little flustered, I'm sure everyone has been there once or twice.............
I DO like the S3 and the ANDROID OS, and I know it can do so much more than iPHONE........
and xKrN you are correct about the iPHONE getting a little boring after a while, I agree, that's why I decided to try something different even though I don't go too "deep" into these devices..........
30 million people can't be wrong buying the S3.
I appreciate all the help from you gents, I knew I could get some help here!
I wish all of you a Merry Christmas!

Great story. Like the way it worked out. Electronics can be great and trouble free then nasty and frustrating. It's great when you find a solution and it all works out.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well those showed up on my phone after I signed in to Google, so they are somewhere out there, just don't know where. I turned the sync on for that and did the back up to Google Servers before my restore. My wifi passwords, etc didn't come back like it said they would nor may app settings.

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
What gets me frustrated about the Android platform, are the different versions of the phone models! For instance, the Samsung Galaxy S3. There are too many versions of it for the US market! I have a UK (International) unbranded S3. I wish Samsung would make 1 version to cover all markets when they release the S4. Samsung and other Android manufacturers could learn a lot from Apple in this instance.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That is all about the carriers and has very little to do with android itself. In theory I could have my own branded Android phone and change whatever I want in the software. I could make the splash screen all about me. I could make tons of apps that you dont need or want.

Samsung mostly does make one phone (some things are added or subtracted, but not much on their end), the US carriers just have so much control.

I am hoping that with the amount of phones the SGS3 and the N2 have sold they will start throwing some weight around to be more like apple. I doubt it though, it doesnt bother them at all...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance