Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dadof2Angels
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default No Jelly for me...

Spent at least 3hrs total with Live Chat with 5 different people. Basically I did all the things they said and what I've read here. Disabled firewall, debugging on, turned off lock screen, uninstalled Kies and reinstalled and updated, made sure phone was fully charged, plugged in S3 and hit upgrade, starts dloading firmware components, gets to 100% then it goes away and Kies is greyed out and unresponsive. The 4th chat person suggested a factory reset and that didn't work. 5th person said it that didn't work then you need to have your phone sent in to see whats wrong with it. I guess I'll head to AT&T tomorrow... Anybody have any help??
    peconicgp likes this.

Default Re: No Jelly for me...

Did you disable any AV programs that may have been running? That, and running Kies as Admin enabled me to get JB installed. Nothing else worked. IF you didn't try that, I'd give that a shot first.

Now for the important question - Do you use the mobile data toggle at all? Beware that it's not in JB, you have to go into settings EVERY time you want to turn it off/on. As much as I like the upgrade, had I known that single fact I would have passed on JB.

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

I just downloaded the ROM and used Odin to flash it. I never could get Kies to work.

Download one of the many data switches...I now like it better than when the switch was on the pull down as I can now see if data is enabled as the icon shows green. Better than pre JB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

55, I will try that as admin. I did the AV thing too...I really don't want to lose my phone for any period of time
    Last edited by Dadof2Angels; 12-10-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2Angels View Post
    55, I will try that as admin. I did the AV thing too...I really don't want to lose my phone for any period of time
    Yeah, you have to use an admin account on your Windows.

Also, do you not have or know if you have an AT&T "repair" location there close to you? When I had problems with my last phone, they just sent me across town to their "repair" store and they gave me a new phone there, didn't have to send it in.

kies worked fine for me, but you're not alone. lots of people are reporting same issues. as stated earlier ^^^, just download the rom and flash with odin...
    Android Central - Super Member
    "Don't forget to thank him/her who helped you"

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I downloaded JELLY BEAN and my S3 began freezing and locking up...........went to the factory reset as suggested.........im fine with ICS.........
    not interested in JB, thanks anyway.
    And this after trading in my iPHONE GS3............hehehehe.........I'm refraining from any comment...................

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe55 View Post
    Now for the important question - Do you use the mobile data toggle at all? Beware that it's not in JB, you have to go into settings EVERY time you want to turn it off/on. As much as I like the upgrade, had I known that single fact I would have passed on JB.
    This is one of the reasons I decided to stay on ICS, for now, as I use the 'mobile data toggle' quite a bit. Furthermore, I'm happy with the notification & toggle bar just the way it is. It's great when an OS is updated with new features and all, but likewise, existing good and useful features shouldn't be inexplicably deleted from so-called 'new & improved' updates, imo.
    I experienced similar—inexplicable update down-grades when I upgraded from my GSII Skyrocket–to the GS3—with regards to handy power-saving & app monitor widgets, keyboards, and etc.

Moreover, my GS3 is, thankfully, running so super smooth & fast & error-free now on ICS, that the decision to stay on ICS, again, for now, has been an easy one.

And, this all reminds me of the time-proven, long held axiom: "If it ain't broke... don't try to fix it" . . .
    . . in fact, there's a member here on AC who posted that exact axiom/maxim in one of his posts, a few weeks back, and then as soon as JB was released last week, he attempted to update, had nothing but trouble for several days, and ended-up having to order a 'replacement phone'... that with AT&T, is often/usually a 'repaired, refurbished one'.**

**(from Consumer Reports magazine; December 2012 issue): "We don't think insurance or extended warranties are worth it. Only 17 percent of buyers polled got a new phone because the old one broke, and only 3 percent because the phone was lost or stolen. A better idea: Keep your old phone until your new contract ends. If you lose or break the new phone, simply reactivate the old one and use it until you qualify for a free or low-cost phone."

Btw . . I also read somewhere that dropping the handy 'mobile data toggle' from the notification toggle bar, was probably AT&T's (as well as other carriers?) idea, so that it makes it much more difficult to actually turn-off mobile data. :rolleyes: If that's true, it wouldn't surprise me, (e.g.– mobile data plans average approx. 70% higher here in the U.S. — then they do in the U.K.) !!! That's where U.S. carriers make most of their profits.

I'm not saying that I'm not gonna update to JB, eventually. But not now. And probably not until JB 4.2+ – is released to the GS3– and hopefully with the 'mobile data toggle' restored back into the notification toggle bar . . where it should be. :rolleyes:

. . .*end of rant. Now running & diving head-first into nearest bunker, before the flame-throwers burn me arse off!*

there are apps for quick toggles, including data... easy fix.

even if there wasnt i would think that the improvements with JB far out weigh a data toggle
    Android Central - Super Member
    "Don't forget to thank him/her who helped you"

ROM

Yeah, maybe so. I didn't think of that. But when I read that the 'mobile data toggle' was inexplicably missing from JB 4.1.1 . . I decided I'd rather have the built-in toggle–in the toggle bar–right where it should be, and where I'm used to it being. I also like the black notification bar & toggle bar. Didn't that also change to grey?

The notification is a "soft black"' color now.

Also the "refurbished" phones are basically ones that were returned before the 2 weeks. I bought a "refurbished" phone on Black Friday, when I went to register it with Samsung, it was manufactured in Oct 2012.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Well, I logged in as admin, did the phone restart and restarted the pc too. There had been something popping up as the firmware dload would finish asking to approve Samsung usa changing something on the computer. "Admindelegater"? So I would swipe my finger print as admin thinking it was saying yes. Well I actually looked at it and "no" was what was highlighted. So I'm guessing it was telling it no each time or being logged in as admin allowed me to finally update to JB... thanks for the posts and help everyone.

Good deal. Thanks to everyone that suggested a data switcher. I tried 5 or 6 before settling on one. Power control seemed to be the best for what I wanted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe55 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by winmod21 View Post
    This is one of the reasons I decided to stay on ICS, for now, as I use the 'mobile data toggle' quite a bit. Furthermore, I'm happy with the notification & toggle bar just the way it is. It's great when an OS is updated with new features and all, but likewise, existing good and useful features shouldn't be inexplicably deleted from so-called 'new & improved' updates, imo.
    The feature wasn't removed, it was just moved. They probably used some sort of analytics to find how many people were actually using it compared to how many people requested driving mode and went with what would be more popular for the masses. In any event, choosing to not update to JB because of this one change is ridiculous considering the number of data toggle widgets there are out there. Use a widget and you don't even have to pull down the notification bar. Problem solved.

In the meantime, you're missing out on some very nice upgrade features:
    • Blocking Mode: Simply Awesome. I use it to turn off the LED every night at 10 so it doesn't light up the room while we're sleeping. Completely automated. Set it and forget it. Win!
    • Smart Rotate: Far more useful than I thought it would be. Great for reading in bed and not having the screen rotate when you don't want it to.
    • Low Light Setting on the Camera: Yes, it works great. It's a huge improvement for taking indoor photos.
    • Google Now: The biggest addition. It blows away the old Google search, Siri, and S-Voice.
    • Improved Battery Life: YMMV, but after I upgraded and did a factory reset, my battery burn rate at work (with wifi on) went from 2.5 to 3% an hour to less than 2% an hour.

The list of positives far outweigh one setting that can be replaced with a toggle widget (HD Widgets has a nice 1x1 Data toggle widget).

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKen View Post
    The feature wasn't removed, it was just moved. They probably used some sort of analytics to find how many people were actually using it compared to how many people requested driving mode and went with what would be more popular for the masses.
    Right, the kind of (profit) 'sort of analytics' that convinced them that if they bury the 'Mobile data' toggle–so it's much deeper in the settings and thus less likely to be toggled off–their data profits will skyrocket even more. Besides, they could have simply added the 'Driving mode' toggle to the scrolling toggle bar; they certainly didn't need to remove the 'Mobile data' toggle, now did they. Either way, as I said above, I'm happy with the notification & toggle bar just the way it is. I use it a lot; I like it right where it's at. I guess it's mostly the principle of the thing; I'm just not interested, as yet, in changing to an updated OS– that has deleted UI features that I happen to like and use often.

In any event, choosing to not update to JB because of this one change is ridiculous considering the number of data toggle widgets there are out there. Use a widget and you don't even have to pull down the notification bar. Problem solved.
    Yeah easy fix, I suppose, but then again we shouldn't have to keep d-loading widgets & apps after an OS update– because the update has inexplicably deleted UI features that we use often and like. Especially if one is a 'light user', like I guess I am, and as I also mentioned above, everything's running so super smooth & fast & error-free now on ICS. In fact, it's hard to imagine it running smoother or faster than it is right now. So, if I'm happy with it the way it is . . . then no worries.

Oh, and before you foolishly start calling other user's choices 'ridiculous' :rolleyes: –you may do well to re-read the comment of mine in which you quoted–specifically the part where I said "This is one of the reasons I decided to stay on ICS, for now, ~". As for the other 'reasons', they mostly regard no interest or desire to update to 4.1.1 until I see how many bugs & glitches are being reported. As anyone can see by simply reading the first two pages here on the AT&T sub-forum, the 4.1.1 update has been pretty much bug & glitch free for many, but not so much for many others. 'YMMV' is putting it mildly, that's for sure.

In the meantime, you're missing out on some very nice upgrade features:
    Blocking Mode: Simply Awesome. I use it to turn off the LED every night at 10 so it doesn't light up the room while we're sleeping. Completely automated. Set it and forget it.
    Don't need it, yet.

Smart Rotate: Far more useful than I thought it would be. Great for reading in bed and not having the screen rotate when you don't want it to.
    Doesn't Settings > Display > Auto-rotate screen . . do the same thing?

Low Light Setting on the Camera: Yes, it works great. It's a huge improvement for taking indoor photos.
    This sounds like a nice feature update to the camera, and so far, probably the only 4.1.1 update-improvement that I would utilize.

Google Now: The biggest addition. It blows away the old Google search, Siri, and S-Voice.
    Don't need it. Don't use google search; haven't been interested in using Siri nor S-Voice, as yet.

Improved Battery Life: YMMV, but after I upgraded and did a factory reset, my battery burn rate at work (with wifi on) went from 2.5 to 3% an hour to less than 2% an hour.[/LIST]
    Okay, obviously this would be good. And again, 'YMMV' is probably putting it mildly. I've been reading many reports of 'worse' battery drain & overall performance, then reports of 'improved', both here and over on xda.

The list of positives far outweigh one setting that can be replaced with a toggle widget (HD Widgets has a nice 1x1 Data toggle widget).
    It's not like having to put a 'Mobile data' toggle widget–on one of my home screens–is the penultimate thing that I care to do. But why should we have to do that? What's next? In the next so-called upgraded update are they going to inexplicably delete the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, etc.-etc. toggles, or perhaps the entire toggle bar, so we have (no choice) but to plaster widgets all over our home screens? :rolleyes: As I mentioned earlier, if everything's running super smooth, fast and perfect, and you're more than happy with things the way they are, and happy with how you have things set-up now, as I am, then I see no need to rush to update...especially until one has adequately had time to read reviews on said update and/or wants to update. That's all. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
    Last edited by winmod21; 12-13-2012 at 11:06 AM.

**(from Consumer Reports magazine; December 2012 issue): "We don't think insurance or extended warranties are worth it. Only 17 percent of buyers polled got a new phone because the old one broke, and only 3 percent because the phone was lost or stolen. A better idea: Keep your old phone until your new contract ends. If you lose or break the new phone, simply reactivate the old one and use it until you qualify for a free or low-cost phone."
    Consumer Reports is simply looking at it form a financial stand point. The Warranty / Insurance companies are definitley profiting for the majority of people dont go out and drop/ break their phones on a daily basis. Yes, most contracts are fulfilled with zero incidents. Such outcomes are a major win for these companies and highlight them selves as a huge wastes to the consumer. But.. what Consumer Reports doesnt look at is the psychological peace of mind that comes from the $170 waste of money (best buy warranty). I think $170 is perfectly reasonable to not give a sh** what happens to my phone. Where i take it or what i do with it. Make a phone call in the rain... why NOT... throw it in anger... sure thing.. its all worth it.
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Right, the kind of (profit) 'sort of analytics' that convinced them that if they bury the 'Mobile data' toggle–so it's much deeper in the settings and thus less likely to be toggled off–their data profits will skyrocket even more. Besides, they could have simply added the 'Driving mode' toggle to the scrolling toggle bar; they certainly didn't need to remove the 'Mobile data' toggle, now did they. Either way, as I said above, I'm happy with the notification & toggle bar just the way it is. I use it a lot; I like it right where it's at. I guess it's mostly the principle of the thing; I'm just not interested, as yet, in changing to an updated OS– that has deleted UI features that I happen to like and use often.
    You're right in one respect: Their decision is for profit. But your logic fails in assuming that they stand to gain a large sum of money by removing this toggle. First, phones with ICS and above have a built-in data monitor, so there's no excuse for going over your limit. Second, statistically speaking, most people don't come close to going over their data. Third, how many huge files would you accidentally download if you left mobile data on? My guess is zero. If you're on a 200 MB plan, I can see your argument. But if you're on a 2GB plan or above, you're not going to accidentally go over that over 3G/4G. Common sense dictates that you use wifi for large downloads. When wifi is on, the phone automatically turns off Mobile Data. Which brings me to my second point...

When I was talking analytics, I assumed you are aware that AT&T knows every time you turn off mobile data, every time you connect to wifi, every time you restart your phone, every time you download something, and every time you launch the car dock. They have the numbers. In order to profit, they're not going to remove the mobile data toggle to trap people into spending more on data. How many people are we talking? A few hundred? (not a few hundred who turn off mobile data, but a few hundred who are apt to blow past their limit). No. They're going to target Joe and Jane Average. People who don't even know what turning off mobiel data means. People who love the car dock feature. To profit, they're going to highlight the more popular features. Period. It will lead to repeat business when contracts are up. Face it, you folks who turn off mobile data are a small number when compared to the general AT&T customer base.

And I still fail to see how removing the toggle is going to make you go over your limit. You should take responsibility for your own downloading.

Yeah easy fix, I suppose, but then again we shouldn't have to keep d-loading widgets & apps after an OS update– because the update has inexplicably deleted UI features that we use often and like. Especially if one is a 'light user', like I guess I am, and as I also mentioned above, everything's running so super smooth & fast & error-free now on ICS. In fact, it's hard to imagine it running smoother or faster than it is right now. So, if I'm happy with it the way it is . . . then no worries.
    I suggested downloading A widget (of which there are many). Not to "keep downloading widgets and apps." Also, don't assume that just because you like a feature means that you represent the majority. Almost everyone I know has a smartphone. I don't know anyone who regularly turns off mobile data. But almost all of them use their phones in their cars. Small sample compared to the entire AT&T consumer base, but clearly supports the action they took to put a different toggle in there.

Oh, and before you foolishly start calling other user's choices 'ridiculous' :rolleyes: –you may do well to re-read the comment of mine in which you quoted–specifically the part where I said "This is one of the reasons I decided to stay on ICS, for now, ~". As for the other 'reasons', they mostly regard no interest or desire to update to 4.1.1 until I see how many bugs & glitches are being reported. As anyone can see by simply reading the first two pages here on the AT&T sub-forum, the 4.1.1 update has been pretty much bug & glitch free for many, but not so much for many others. 'YMMV' is putting it mildly, that's for sure.
    It was the only reason you gave for not doing the update. If you do have other reasons, you obviously didn't think they were important enough to mention. You like to exaggerate. YMMV is "putting it mildly"? Really? I've seen a handful of people who are up in arms that their install went bad. It happens. But if you read those threads, you'll see the majority of people who tried a factory reset had immediate improvements. People say, "you shouldn't have to do a factory reset." I say BS. Sometimes a conflict happens due to one of a number of reasons that makes an updated OS buggy. A factory reset gets rid of those conflicts. It is necessary some times. It's the same exact thing as a clean install of Windows or Mac OS. My battery life got a little worse after the update. I did a factory reset, and my battery life became better than it was originally. If an updated phone is buggy, doing a factory reset will solve most of the issues most of the time. And the posts in these forums bear that out.

Don't need it, yet.
    Doesn't Settings > Display > Auto-rotate screen . . do the same thing?
    This sounds like a nice feature update to the camera, and so far, probably the only 4.1.1 update-improvement that I would utilize.
    Don't need it. Don't use google search; haven't been interested in using Siri nor S-Voice, as yet.
    Okay, obviously this would be good. And again, 'YMMV' is probably putting it mildly. I've been reading many reports of 'worse' battery drain & overall performance, then reports of 'improved', both here and over on xda.
    Auto rotate screen: no it's not the same thing. It's an added feature that makes auto rotate work a lot better when laying in bed. It's awesome.

It's not like having to put a 'Mobile data' toggle widget–on one of my home screens–is the penultimate thing that I care to do. But why should we have to do that? What's next? In the next so-called upgraded update are they going to inexplicably delete the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, etc.-etc. toggles, or perhaps the entire toggle bar, so we have (no choice) but to plaster widgets all over our home screens? :rolleyes: As I mentioned earlier, if everything's running super smooth, fast and perfect, and you're more than happy with things the way they are, and happy with how you have things set-up now, as I am, then I see no need to rush to update...especially until one has adequately had time to read reviews on said update and/or wants to update. That's all. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
    Now you're just getting silly. And I think you should probably look up the definition of "penultimate."

And to answer your question of "why should we have to install a widget," I think the answer is simple: for whatever reason, AT&T removed that toggle from the notification shade. If you want an easy way to do it, you have to use a widget or some other type of shortcut. Personally, I think just tapping the screen once for a widget is easier than pulling down the shade and tapping once. It's one less action. But what do I know, I'm too foolish, right?

Have you tried using Tasker to set parameters for turning off mobile data? I don't have a need for it, so I don't use the app, but it might work for you.

ROM

Well fine. :rolleyes: Just call me an old fuddy-duddy then! lol That's what my wife calls me sometimes, and you know what?... You're kinda starting to sound like her. lol

And pardon me, Mr. Pardner, but I believe it is you who "should probably look up the definition of 'penultimate.' " As far as I'm aware, there's nothing inappropriate with the context in which I used it in; –is the penultimate thing that I care to do. . . meaning... exactly what I said: It's not like having to put a 'Mobile data' toggle widget–on one of my home screens–is the next to last thing that I care to do. Hence, if it's not too silly nor too much of an over-exaggeration for me to point out and request, then perhaps with your pedantic attention to details and all, you wouldn't mind sharing whatever you think the proper definition and use of the word should be? Really? You really think I "should probably look up the definition"? :rolleyes.

And you know what else? . . .I might go and update now, just to keep you from writing another War & Peace novel !

Well fine. :rolleyes: Just call me an old fuddy-duddy then! lol That's what my wife calls me sometimes, and you know what?... You're kinda starting to sound like her. lol
    LOL, Thank you for the best laugh I've had all week.