Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Most worthless update ever?

    Have had JB on my N7 since it was release and it's fine. Had ICS on my S3 since late June and loved it. Never really missed anything on my S3 that I could do on my N7.

    Since I updated the S3 to JB, it basically sucks _ss.

    1. The reason I left iOS was for Google's excellent voice to text which crushes iOS in speed and accuracy. While driving I was easily able to dictate texts, emails, Facebook posts etc. Now with JB, they disabled Google voice to text when connected to the car's bluetooth. WTF? This and this alone may be the reason I go back to ICS.

    2. Swype which was my favorite keyboard used Nuance voice to text, which is now eliminated in favor of the disable Google. LAME

    3. Widget Locker, one of THE most popular apps doesn't play nice with JB. You would think they would have worked that out prior to release.

    4. Google Now...what does it do exactly that Google Voice didnt do before? The cards seem to have a mind of their own and appear when they feel like regardless of settings.

    Overall, very lame update and unless #1 gets fixed in the next few days, I will go back to ICS.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Factory Reset...it should fix all those problems

    as for #1, try Driving Mode
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    No chance I will do that. Lose all my settings, text messages etc. They shouldn't have released the update until the kinks were worked out.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    No chance I will do that. Lose all my settings, text messages etc. They shouldn't have released the update until the kinks were worked out.
    All your contacts and calendars are backed up

    You can back up your messages with this
    ..

    Factory Reset refreses the OS to how its supposed to run, instead of just overwriting ICS

    Try driving mode and see if it works for you
    Thanked by:
    Paul627g likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Driving mode doesn't work. Cant even find any settings for it.

    Can you confirm that Google Voice Typing works with a bluetooth connection after a factory reset or are you speculating?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Driving mode doesn't work. Cant even find any settings for it.

    Can you confirm that Google Voice Typing works with a bluetooth connection after a factory reset or are you speculating?
    I am 85% sure it will fix it... factory resetting really does fix most problems
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Also go to Settings -> Language & Input -> Text to Speech Output
    Make sure Driving Mode is on, then click on it and check all the settings you want
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    oooook, have you done a factory reset and if so, can you dictate texts when connected to your car?
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    If you use S-voice or a similar app sure. Reset your phone like Smooth suggests, especially the battery. Back your important info up Number 1: Update it (already done I gather), take the battery out 40 minutes, put it back in and run it completely bone dry dead, make sure you have several hours free to charge it while it is off, restore your personal info, and it's fixed. Mine was terrible till I did this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    No chance I will do that. Lose all my settings, text messages etc. They shouldn't have released the update until the kinks were worked out.
    There aren't "kinks" to work out, this update has been out for a very long time, AT&T just got it. More often than not, when you do an upgrade you have to do a factory reset or just put up with the issues.

    Are you never going to get a new phone? You will lose all of that with a new phone. You can also back up all your text messages with Kies and then restore them, I did.
    Thanked by 2:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    No one has yet to confirm that after a factory reset, Google Voice to Text will work when connected to Bluetooth. Can someone who has actually done it please confirm?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    There aren't "kinks" to work out, this update has been out for a very long time, AT&T just got it. More often than not, when you do an upgrade you have to do a factory reset or just put up with the issues.

    Are you never going to get a new phone? You will lose all of that with a new phone. You can also back up all your text messages with Kies and then restore them, I did.
    I've been around the update block a time or 2 so I respectfully disagree with your assertion that a hard reset is usually necessary. It seems half assed to me. Nothing wrong with ICS.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    I've been around the update block a time or 2 so I respectfully disagree with your assertion that a hard reset is usually necessary. It seems half assed to me. Nothing wrong with ICS.
    Well almost everyone, including the manufacturer, would disagree with you. Many, many people do a reset automatically right after the upgrade. It's not unusual to need to do that after a major OS upgrade and this was a very major one, even though there aren't a lot of noticeable changes.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    No one has yet to confirm that after a factory reset, Google Voice to Text will work when connected to Bluetooth. Can someone who has actually done it please confirm?
    No idea, I don't use bluetooth, except for my Parrot system I have installed in my car and my Google Voice text works just fine with it.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Neither the carrier nor the manufacturer recommended a hard reset to me. In fact, if you google this issue it is fairly widespread and no one that I saw claims a hard reset will fix it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    Well almost everyone, including the manufacturer, would disagree with you. Many, many people do a reset automatically right after the upgrade. It's not unusual to need to do that after a major OS upgrade and this was a very major one, even though there aren't a lot of noticeable changes.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Just a question Mad.. What's so special with your spent texts?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    I refer back to them alot of personal and business reasons, ok?
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    I refer back to them alot of personal and business reasons, ok?
    Yeah, whatever about the reset, it's the first thing that Tier 2 help at AT&T will tell you to do after an upgrade if there are issues.

    Again, text can be backed up on your computer and restored in less than 5 minutes total time, through Kies.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    Yeah, whatever about the reset, it's the first thing that Tier 2 help at AT&T will tell you to do after an upgrade if there are issues.

    Again, text can be backed up on your computer and restored in less than 5 minutes total time, through Kies.
    Kies is not letting me back up. gives me errors. Odd since I just used Kies to do the JB update.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Neither the carrier nor the manufacturer recommended a hard reset to me. In fact, if you google this issue it is fairly widespread and no one that I saw claims a hard reset will fix it.
    Almost everyone that had problems has done it and it's in just about any JB/GS3 thread you open. Samsung does indeed advise you to do this if you're having troubles after an update, it's right there on their own site and posted up here in threads as well. Everyone of us replying to you have told you this after doing it ourselves. One guy even confirmed the text to speech and Bluetooth works but it's "not confirmed anywhere"?
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Kies is not letting me back up. gives me errors. Odd since I just used Kies to do the JB update.
    There is a troubleshooting tool on Kies. Is it recognizing your phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Archienj7 View Post
    Almost everyone that had problems has done it and it's in just about any JB/GS3 thread you open. Samsung does indeed advise you to do this if you're having troubles after an update, it's right there on their own site and posted up here in threads as well. Everyone of us replying to you have told you this after doing it ourselves. One guy even confirmed the text to speech and Bluetooth works but it's "not confirmed anywhere"?
    Yes, I forgot it is on the page about the upgrade.
    Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    There is a troubleshooting tool on Kies. Is it recognizing your phone?

    It recognizes the phone, the firmware is up to date and the "trouble shooting tool" did nothing. This is why Apple loses so few from their team.

    Yes, I forgot it is on the page about the upgrade.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Kies is dodgy I'll give you that, but evidently simple devices suit you better my man. Because "driving mode" is an option in the Notification/Pulldown bar......
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    I was aware of the toggle for driving mode and eventually I found the settings for it but it has nothing to do with Google Voice Typing over Bluetooth. Like I said, I had no problems with ICS or JB on my N7 but this update is half assess at best, and it seems I'm not the only one having issues.
  25. #25  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default Re: Most worthless update ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    I've been around the update block a time or 2 so I respectfully disagree with your assertion that a hard reset is usually necessary. It seems half assed to me. Nothing wrong with ICS.
    She is right actually bro smh. 90% of those issues can be fixed with a reset. And it's plenty I mean plenty of keyboards in the play store that has swype capabilities

    Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
    MERCDROID likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The most weird game ever = (
    By mistudio in forum Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 04:05 AM
  2. gmail not updating ever since I installed new OS
    By digitaldogs in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-30-2011, 10:51 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 01:54 AM
  4. rooted with free wifi hotspot before most recent update
    By jkraiford in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 02:05 PM
  5. sbf for most recent update?
    By terpitude71 in forum Motorola Droid Rooting, ROMs and Hacks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 10:43 PM

Posting Permissions

B