Wireless Charging Compatibility?

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Will the S3 charge out of the box on the "Energizer Single Induction Wireless Charger". I'm shopping for a friend and I can't find a direct answer.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Just my two cents, but wireless charging is bad idea from a battery life standpoint.

Even more stressful is leaving a battery in a hot car, especially if exposed to the sun. When not in use, store the battery in a cool place. For long-term storage, manufacturers recommend a 40 percent charge. This allows for some self-discharge while still retaining sufficient charge to keep the protection circuit active. Finding the ideal state-of-charge is not easy; this would require a discharge with appropriate cut-off. Do not worry too much about the state-of-charge; a cool and dry place is more important than SoC. Read more about How to Store Batteries.

Batteries are also exposed to elevated temperature when charging on wireless chargers. The energy transfer from a charging mat to a portable device is 70 to 80 percent and the remaining 20 to 30 percent is lost mostly in heat that is transferred to the battery through the mat. We keep in mind that the mat will cool down once the battery is fully charged. Read more about Charging Without Wires.

Avoid charging a battery faster than 1C; a more moderate charge rate of 0.7C is preferred. Manufacturers of electric powertrains are concerned about super-fast charging of 20 minutes and less. Similarly, harsh discharges should be avoided as also this also adds to battery stress. Read more about Charging Lithium-ion and Ultra-fast Chargers.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
a simple answer to the question is NO.

the stock back cover does not have a direct connection to the battery or any circuits on the phone. The design of the wireless charging of the s3 is that you have to buy a back cover for the said connection.

With that said, I am not sure tho if you can charge via NFC. since the s3's NFC is in the battery itself. But i think its still not possible. Too low voltage.

I have "hacked" my s3 in using my palm touchstone wireless charging station. This was one of the main considerations why i got this phone. But thats just me :D

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
The S3 does not have an induction coil and regulator circuit built into the phone across the charging socket/battery terminals with which one can induce a current electromagnetically. Wireless chargers by definition do not rely on direct metal contact outside the phone case to create a voltage across the battery terminals. In fact, a metal phone case is only serves to block the field generated by the induction coil in the charging mat/pad.

The charging pad works by creating a transformer with one coil in the pad and the other in the phone attached to the battery. Since there is no coil in the S3, a coil has to be added into the phone via a new outer battery case. The antennas in the phone are not sufficient to power the device, merely to transmit radio signals for communication--EDIT (Even though the NFC antenna is built into the battery).

While this transformer setup is referred to as "Near Field", the relationship to the NFC Near Field Communication (13.56MHz) standard used for communication is only one of proximity--over short distances (<20cm).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams