Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jontalk
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Now!

With Google Now, is there still a need for S-Voice?? I think not but what does everyone else think?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Google Now!

nope not really. Google Now does more...

Google Now totally rocks.. Am sure you've seen the vids where they compare it to Siri and there is NO comparison.. it's superior in every way. Make sure you install the update too I LOVE IT!
    smooth4lyfe likes this.

Too bad there isn't a way int he factory settings to control what the double tap does for the home button.

I'm not overly thrilled with that Home2 app.

But yes, Google Now is terrific, S-Voice is subpar.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

There used to be a button remaper app. Not sure if it still is around or if you have to be rooted or not...

Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    Too bad there isn't a way int he factory settings to control what the double tap does for the home button.

Ask and you shall receive!

FIRST, go to S-Voice and uncheck the 'launch with home button' option.

Then open Home2 Shortcut and follow directions. Use 'Google' as the app you want opened. Viola. Short and simple.

You DO NOT need to be Rooted.
    Last edited by dwd3885; 12-13-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    Thanked by:

I was reading a thread a week or so ago about launching GNow by just saying Google.. I can't imagine being able to do this without tapping the Voice Search or something else.. I don't think you can launch any app by just saying "Open Sesame" can you? And if you can, how to you set it up? Seems to me the mic has to be running all the time to do that.. But what do I know? I've only had an Android phone for 6 mos, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    I was reading a thread a week or so ago about launching GNow by just saying Google.. I can't imagine being able to do this without tapping the Voice Search or something else.. I don't think you can launch any app by just saying "Open Sesame" can you? And if you can, how to you set it up? Seems to me the mic has to be running all the time to do that.. But what do I know? I've only had an Android phone for 6 mos, LOL
    I think they mean when u r in google now you can say Google and it prompts a voice search

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post

What is wrong with the Home2 app? I've been using it and after I set it up, there is nothing noticeable about it, doesn't run the battery down, doesn't cause anything to lag. I double click my home button and the mic pops up ready for me to speak.

I put Google now app on my lock screen swipe and bam there it is faster than double clicking

I have it on my lock screen too, but my phone isn't always locked when I want to use it.

I am comparing s voice and Google now in updating my twitter status. S voice seem to be easier because all I have to do after I update is say update. Google now I had to tap twice before it is sent out.

Of course this goes without saying that I have to have the Twitter app installed instead of the third party Twitter client.

Lunching apps using s voice seems to be faster than Google now. ie when i say "drive mode on" in s voice, it does just that, but in google now it goes to a web search

S voice has an easier time calling from my contacts than Google now, ie i say "call daddy home" in s voice it calls the number, in google now it calls a store something like daddy's home furniture or something, which is weird because I don't have that store stored in my contacts.

I have been using s voice a lot before google now, I was thinking of replacing s voice with google now, but my preliminary tests tells me to use s voice still...

am I the only one having this experience?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2
    Last edited by johnj2803; 12-13-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    What is wrong with the Home2 app? I've been using it and after I set it up, there is nothing noticeable about it, doesn't run the battery down, doesn't cause anything to lag. I double click my home button and the mic pops up ready for me to speak.
    I'm not overly thrilled with the 4 second delay after pressing the home button just to go home.

I don't have a 4 second delay, I return in 2 seconds at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    I don't have a 4 second delay, I return in 2 seconds at the most.
    I exaggerate, just pointing out the delay is long enough that it bothers me. I just leave the Google search bar on the home page, which I think looks terrific anyways.

S-Voice? I forgot about that LOL

Also Google Now doesn't require a data connection to take dictation for things and S-Voice does.

While I love GNow's many abilities, I like SVoice's ability to talk back and give immediate results without going to the web like GNow. I know, SVoice many times does the same, but I still find many instances when it has the answer to my question. I find both to be fairly accurate with responses to my questions.