Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Default keyboard issue

Has anyone posted a support issue with SwiftKey?

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by jcp007 View Post
    Has anyone posted a support issue with SwiftKey?

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
    Their support page says it's a problem with JB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

There is a work around if your phone is rooted. I used Titanium backup to create an. apk file, then install it using that file rather than directly from the Play Store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Quote Originally Posted by simba115 View Post
    There is a work around if your phone is rooted. I used Titanium backup to create an. apk file, then install it using that file rather than directly from the Play Store.
    Can anyone confirm this works?

If it does, it seems like something Swiftkey would be able to use to create a software workaround for the issue?

Why wouldn't they be able to have a temporary Swiftkey option to auto reset the default to Swiftkey on startup?

Well folks the clear data (cache) didn't work for me either and Samsung support doesn't show any known issues with this since the 4.1 update. Seems to me it points to the Swiftkey 3 app rather than the update.

There's an app on the Play store that addresses this bug. The app will set your desired keyboard on a reboot. Here's the download link: http://goo.gl/k7QqS
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKen View Post
    Can you disable the stock keyboard? If the phone doesn't have access to it, it probably can't default back to it. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstormgirl View Post
    I thought of that too, but the disable button is not highlighted, only the force stop. For other apps, in order to get the disable button highlighted, you need to uninstall the updates. But with the samsung keyboard, I have not found a way to do this. Maybe there is no way on stock samsung apps, not sure.
    This actually led me to another solution...though it has similar requirements.

I didn't really want to uninstall and install from .apk - I believe you would lose your learned personalizations and it would lose the Play Store connect i.e. no updates.

I instead chose to try using Titanium Backup to FREEZE both Samsung Keyboard and Swype (since you can't disable them). So far it seems that this fixes it for me.

The problem is that when the phone boots up, Swiftkey is not yet available to the system (as a 3rd party app) when the default keyboard is chosen. It then defaults back to Samsung Keyboard. If you freeze both Samsung Keyboard and Swype, I presume it finds no keyboards available and sets nothing as default...and then when Swiftkey becomes available a few moments later it goes AHA there's a keyboard, default! At least that's how I imagine it lol.
    KreepyKen likes this.

I have same problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

That app doesn't seem like much of a solution to the problem, since it requires manual intervention every time you reboot your phone.

You can accomplish the same thing without the app.

Quote Originally Posted by dancell View Post
    There's an app on the Play store that addresses this bug. The app will set your desired keyboard on a reboot. Here's the download link: http://goo.gl/k7QqS

Quote Originally Posted by k6rim View Post
    That app doesn't seem like much of a solution to the problem, since it requires manual intervention every time you reboot your phone.
    You can accomplish the same thing without the app.
    LOL. Since I don't have the problem, I hadn't actually looked closely at the app. Nonetheless, it does seem to be a bit easier to have that pop-up after reboot than to have to navigate through settings to get to the keyboard options. Whether that's worth a buck depends, I guess, on how frequently you reboot. I almost never do, so it wouldn't be a big issue for me even if I hadn't frozen the stock keyboard (requires root).
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    LOL. Since I don't have the problem, I hadn't actually looked closely at the app. Nonetheless, it does seem to be a bit easier to have that pop-up after reboot than to have to navigate through settings to get to the keyboard options. Whether that's worth a buck depends, I guess, on how frequently you reboot. I almost never do, so it wouldn't be a big issue for me even if I hadn't frozen the stock keyboard (requires root).
    You'd think Swiftkey would have made a quick/easy free app for non-rooted users that would do this same thing...

It's easy enough to forget about it since I have root and was able to freeze the stock keyboards, but there are so many more non-rooted users out there who have no free fix for this. Swiftkey can lay the blame on Android, but it's not exactly easy for most users to update to 4.2...lol

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRebo72 View Post
    I just realized I had this problem as well. Installing SwiftKey Flow Beta seems to have fixed the issue for me. However, the issue still remains when using the SwiftKey 3 app.
    I have SK Flow v 4.0.0.106- not beta- and it still reverts to the Samsung KB on reboot. Additionally, doing a factory reset has no bearing on the issue because I never did a factory reset after JB 4.1.1 update, and have the same problem.
    If at first you don't succeed, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Voliam View Post
    I have SK Flow v 4.0.0.106- not beta- and it still reverts to the Samsung KB on reboot. Additionally, doing a factory reset has no bearing on the issue because I never did a factory reset after JB 4.1.1 update, and have the same problem.
    Why don't you backup Samsung keyboard and uninstall it using Titanium backup

Sent while flowing through space

Quote Originally Posted by Razaqadri View Post
    Why don't you backup Samsung keyboard and uninstall it using Titanium backup

Sent while flowing through space
    I really don't have much of a problem with the issue since it's so easy to change it back. I don't reboot my phone often enough to be aggravated with it. Just offering my observations for others' benefit.
    If at first you don't succeed, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

I ended up selling my S3 and jumped to the N4. I have no issues with swiftkey staying default keyboard on the N4. It has to be a Samsung/ATT software issue.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by jay_g View Post
    I ended up selling my S3 and jumped to the N4. I have no issues with swiftkey staying default keyboard on the N4. It has to be a Samsung/ATT software issue.
    Your Nexus 4 is probably on 4.2.2...as mentioned, this issue is with 4.1 and has been fixed in 4.2...so that's why you don't have the issue.

just so everyone knows it is not a problem with swift keyboard. I use Ultra keyboard and I have the same issue with the phone resetting back to the Samsung keyboard. I'm sure there's some wayto answer a code into your phoneso it will give you accesstwo disabling the Samsungkeyboard.the developers know all kinds of tricks for doing things on your phone. I've seen them do it to another one of my phone the front of me. Not a keyboard issue but something else. So it is definitely the Samsung 4.1 .1 and not your keyboard

ROM
    stock

Same with SlideIT, reboot=samsung keyboard

I always use Thumb Keyboard, and it's doing the exact same thing. Everytime I reboot the phone it goes back to the stock keyboard.

So we know it's not an issue with the certain keyboard. It's obviously a problem with JellyBean.
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lytle View Post
    I always use Thumb Keyboard, and it's doing the exact same thing. Everytime I reboot the phone it goes back to the stock keyboard.

So we know it's not an issue with the certain keyboard. It's obviously a problem with JellyBean.
    Or with Samsung. I've been using Swype Beta for a couple years and never had this problem. I just bought the official Swype release through the play store, and now every time I reboot the phone, it defaults back to Samsung keyboard. I wish there was a way to disable that. :/

ROM
    Rooted Stock

Quote Originally Posted by simba115 View Post

This is the best suggestion and I can't believe you didn't get likes for this. I hadn't updated my phone since December. It's been rooted the entire time. I noticed that the minute I did it this nagging problem persisted. It cleaned up the problem on the spot. Thank you!

Hi I dont know if it help You, but for me works.(Firstly I froze my default keyboard.) When I installed my SwiftKey on my smartphone memory instead of storage card memory, and checked it as default keybord, problem dissapeared. After reboot android remeber all keyboard settings. Please check and revert, if it works for You.

Has anybody been noticing this is happening MORE often now? I'm finding that when apps update without rebooting the phone, the keyboard is switching to the stock one instead of Swiftkey..it's really getting annoying..I'm sure if I chat with Samsung support they're going to tell me to do a factory reset which I do NOT want to do...Maybe when we get the 4.3 update this will be fixed

That is actually an android issue. Every time an app updates, it erases the default status. I don't find it that annoying, especially when I compare it to the stock keyboard

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts

FYI: Early reports on the 4.3 update say this issue is fixed in that new Android update for the AT&T S3.. See update thread in this forum for more info...

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk 4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast