Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Default keyboard issue

I use Swiftkey and have it as default. Ever since JB update when ever I restart my phone the Samsung keyboard is set back to default so I have to go in and change it back to swiftkey. I did a factory reset right after the update. Starting to bug me.

Default Re: Default keyboard issue

Contact swiftkey
    They can help yiu

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

From what I can tell, it's something with 4.1.1. This happens to me with Swype and Smart Keyboard Pro. After digging around, everyone is pointing to a bug in 4.1.1 that is causing this.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_g View Post
    I use Swiftkey and have it as default. Ever since JB update when ever I restart my phone the Samsung keyboard is set back to default so I have to go in and change it back to swiftkey. I did a factory reset right after the update. Starting to bug me.
    I updated to JB a few days back and I didn't have this issue, then I did a factory reset this morning and now I am having the same issue as you are, lol... I just now rebooted my phone to make sure and it defaulted back to the stock keyboard. I have to go into swiftkey and reselect it as my default keyboard. I will try to contact swiftkey too and see what they can do. I am glad I saw this post
    Don

Well that explains it. I'm having the same problem with Swiftkey. It keeps going back to the stock keyboard.

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

Happening to me too -- every time I shut down or restart. It is driving me nuts.

Me too!

Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

I'm currently using SwiftKey Flow, and I'm not having this problem. I'm on 4.1.1 and I did a factory reset last weekend. SwiftKey Flow has stayed as my default the whole time.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Here I thought I was going crazy, glad other people are having the same issue.

Any fix to this issue?

I had the same issue, after performing a factory reset. From what I understand, this is a 4.1.1 bug.

Oddly, I experienced this issue when I was running SwiftKey. When I updated to the SwiftKey Flow beta, the problem went away.

This leads me to believe it is not just a 4.1.1 issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Even with SwiftKey 3.1 I'm having the same issue but not with SwiftKey flow beta.

Marble White Galaxy S3
    HTC Rezound
    Acer Iconia A500 32GB

ROM
    Stock

Same here... My wife & I got new SIII handsets a couple of days ago, which updated to 4.1.1 the first night, while charging. Since then, both phones "forget" their default keyboard after a reboot, and we're back to the Samsung keyboard... Happens every single time on two different phones, and the few third-party keyboards we've tested.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKen View Post
    I'm currently using SwiftKey Flow, and I'm not having this problem. I'm on 4.1.1 and I did a factory reset last weekend. SwiftKey Flow has stayed as my default the whole time.
    I just realized I had this problem as well. Installing SwiftKey Flow Beta seems to have fixed the issue for me. However, the issue still remains when using the SwiftKey 3 app.

This is evidently an issue with where the Play store is installing SwiftKey. I read that you can uninstall SwiftKey, then reinstall via the apk (not Play store) as a workaround... But then you won't get updates.

Hopefully an update to Play will fix. Whenever that happens...
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Is this still not fixed?

Yep.. I have the same problem since 4.1.1 update.. My fix is simply not restarting the phone, LOL. After all, how often do we need to restart anyway? Am wondering if anyone noticed a lag in response time with the home button after the update too.. Overall, I'm pleased with JB, but it's the little things like this that are annoying.. I still wonder if it really is a JB update issue or if Swiftkey needs to update to fix the problem.. I haven't installed Flow yet since it's still beta
    Thanked by:

I chatted with support this morning and they told me that there are no reported issues with the keyboard switching issue. She said what is necessary is to go into the Samsung Keyboard app and clear the data and cache, which I have done.. With luck this will resolve the issue
    Thanked by 2:

I just cleared the cashed memory on the Samsung keyboard and did a restart and this fixed my problem

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    I chatted with support this morning and they told me that there are no reported issues with the keyboard switching issue. She said what is necessary is to go into the Samsung Keyboard app and clear the data and cache, which I have done.. With luck this will resolve the issue
    Quote Originally Posted by robinto View Post
    I just cleared the cashed memory on the Samsung keyboard and did a restart and this fixed my problem

I tried clearing the data and cache in samsung keyboard (under manage apps), restarted the phone and it went back to samsung keyboard. Is there something that I maybe missing?

Under storage I hit clear data, try that!

Quote Originally Posted by robinto View Post
    Under storage I hit clear data, try that!

That is what I did. Then rebooted, and back to stock keyboard. Tried it several times. So far, the only cure is never reboot or restart. This issue has been reported since June (noticed it posted on Swiftkey website), but no fix except to download Swiftkey Flow beta. Swiftkey Flow does work properly, but the beta is expiring tomorrow, so back to Swiftkey3 and the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstormgirl View Post
    That is what I did. Then rebooted, and back to stock keyboard. Tried it several times. So far, the only cure is never reboot or restart. This issue has been reported since June (noticed it posted on Swiftkey website), but no fix except to download Swiftkey Flow beta. Swiftkey Flow does work properly, but the beta is expiring tomorrow, so back to Swiftkey3 and the same problem.
    I'm having the same issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by bigstormgirl View Post
    Can you disable the stock keyboard? If the phone doesn't have access to it, it probably can't default back to it. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKen View Post
    Can you disable the stock keyboard? If the phone doesn't have access to it, it probably can't default back to it. Just a thought.
    I thought of that too, but the disable button is not highlighted, only the force stop. For other apps, in order to get the disable button highlighted, you need to uninstall the updates. But with the samsung keyboard, I have not found a way to do this. Maybe there is no way on stock samsung apps, not sure.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast