Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default ICS vs JB

    Ok I've read some of the comments here regarding jb and what's changed. But real question I want to ask is it worth upgrading to JB? If you could go back would you stray back to ICS or stick to JB? I had the Galaxy S2 on GB upgraded to ICS and hated it at first. But I did factory reset and gave it another chance and loved it. First one pro or con to 10 I'd probably roll with that decision

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    I had horrible battery life at first. Turned some stuff off in Google Now and it has been better. Also not happy ATT removed the Data toggle.

    I am finally convinced to root and go the custom ROM route. As soon as I have the free time, I will.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Ok so seems like one con or nay so far. I just got this phone, don't want to void my warranty just yet.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    It is worth it and I would never regress to a prior OS version. My GS3 is snappier and more fluid than with ICS. Not having mobile data toggle is not a big deal.

    Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
    LegalAmerican likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp007 View Post
    It is worth it and I would never regress to a prior OS version. My GS3 is snappier and more fluid than with ICS. Not having mobile data toggle is not a big deal.

    Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
    I second this. Even if there's a few bugs, an operating system upgrade happens for a reason. The pro's have ALWAYS outweighed the con's for me.

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
  6. #6  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Well you are not going to be able to put the upgrade off for long unless you root. 90% of the issues that anyone is having can be solved by doing a wipe, upgrading and then wiping again. Or if you want to just upgrade and see if you get issues you can, but at the first sign of problems, do a wipe and they will clear up.

    I do not think that I would go backward ever. I am getting a cheapo tablet and I was playing around with ics on it. Yeah it is better than gb, but it is no jb

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
  7. #7  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    I have been following all of the threads on JB and for now I'm sticking with ICS. No bugs, no having to turn off tons of things for other apps and settings to work and no looking all over the forum or Google for "fixes". I rejected the update and I'm not the least bit bothered by still using ICS. When JB gets some updates and becomes more stable, I'll mess with it but it's a no go for now. Seems like the people who updated are toying with their phone for countless hours just to get it to perform how they want it. To me the only thing that sounds good so far that ppl are saying is that the phone runs faster and that alone is just not a good enough reason for me to update at the moment. Just my opinion. These statements do not reflect the views of Android Central or its staff lol. Just those of the brotha who wrote them

    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Ok thanks for all the input keep it coming. 2 nay 3 yay

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  9. #9  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Quote Originally Posted by makaroni View Post
    I have been following all of the threads on JB and for now I'm sticking with ICS. No bugs, no having to turn off tons of things for other apps and settings to work and no looking all over the forum or Google for "fixes". I rejected the update and I'm not the least bit bothered by still using ICS. When JB gets some updates and becomes more stable, I'll mess with it but it's a no go for now. Seems like the people who updated are toying with their phone for countless hours just to get it to perform how they want it. To me the only thing that sounds good so far that ppl are saying is that the phone runs faster and that alone is just not a good enough reason for me to update at the moment. Just my opinion. These statements do not reflect the views of Android Central or its staff lol. Just those of the brotha who wrote them

    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
    Like I said to have the best shot at a problem free upgrade, spend the hour and do a wipe. It will save you two hours looking for fixes, which most of the fixes are wipes anyway.. Lol

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
  10. #10  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Like I said to have the best shot at a problem free upgrade, spend the hour and do a wipe. It will save you two hours looking for fixes, which most of the fixes are wipes anyway.. Lol

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    If that simple thing will fix everything, Why doesn't everyone do that and there will be no problems?
  11. #11  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Because it is easier to just upgrade and see what happens and with windows 90% of the time you do that, not a full wipe so that is what it is compared to

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
  12. #12  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Ok. Have you got JB now? Did you do a wipe and have no issues? I'm so not into the whole buggy thing and playing with my phone for hours to get it right. I love my phone but I got better things to do

    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Ok leaning towards doing the update. More yay than nay, if I understand it right do the upgrade, take battery out for 2 min or so. Power on and do factory reset? Is that correct?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  14. #14  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Yes and I have been through quite a few upgrades overall. Check out the issues threads, most of them are solved by a reset.

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Ok thanks.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  16. #16  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Jelly Bean made my GS3 much snappier. I loved the GS3 with ICS but performance enhancements are always nice. Haven't had a problem with JB so far.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by ChrisXe; 12-15-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!
  17. #17  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Just wanted to mention that this upgrade to JB is only 4.1.1, not the latest 4.2.1. It is basically half a$$ed as is usually the case with att. Upgrading to JB will have some consequences such as the loss of flash support. There is a workaround with Firefox, but dolphin and chrome won't even try to load it.

    My nexus 7 has JB 4.2.1 and it is great, but I'm not totally sold on all the trouble just to get a now outdated upgrade on my s3.

    Having said that, I will probably go ahead and upgrade in the next week or so when I get the time.

    I think it is also interesting that AT&T has tried to put the consequences of a necessary and appropriate upgrade on its customer's shoulders by requiring them to update through kies rather than ota. This just serves to highlight how Google is doing things right by offering unlocked devices to the consumer.

    More incentive to root I suppose.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Quote Originally Posted by repligation View Post
    Just wanted to mention that this upgrade to JB is only 4.1.1, not the latest 4.2.1. It is basically half a$$ed as is usually the case with att. Upgrading to JB will have some consequences such as the loss of flash support. There is a workaround with Firefox, but dolphin and chrome won't even try to load it.

    My nexus 7 has JB 4.2.1 and it is great, but I'm not totally sold on all the trouble just to get a now outdated upgrade on my s3.


    Having said that, I will probably go ahead and upgrade in the next week or so when I get the time.

    I think it is also interesting that AT&T has tried to put the consequences of a necessary and appropriate upgrade on its customer's shoulders by requiring them to update through kies rather than ota. This just serves to highlight how Google is doing things right by offering unlocked devices to the consumer.

    More incentive to root I suppose.
    OK so you say no flash beyond JB as in no flash videos? Can anyone confirm that? Not calling you a liar, just hadn't seen that con in the posts I've read on.
  19. #19  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Actually it was no flash on ICS, but if you had a phone that already had it, and upgraded to ICS it still worked find. Adobe support officially died in ics

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
  20. #20  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo0203 View Post
    Ok leaning towards doing the update. More yay than nay, if I understand it right do the upgrade, take battery out for 2 min or so. Power on and do factory reset? Is that correct?

    After the update is complete, a battery pull should be sufficient.

    1) Download and install the most current version of Kies
    2) Enable USB debugging, disable strict mode, and screen update in Developer Options.
    3) Open Kies and connect the GS3 with the OEM cable that came with the phone.
    4) Once the process starts, don't disconnect.
    5) Update will download and install. The install is indicated by Lloyd on the screen and a message to not disconnect the target or the GS3.
    6) Once PROMPTED by the screens during the update process, disconnect the GS3.
    7) Pull the battery and leave it out for a minute. Replace the battery and battery cover. Restart the phone.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Actually it was no flash on ICS, but if you had a phone that already had it, and upgraded to ICS it still worked find. Adobe support officially died in ics

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Yes thats true. I did leave an open blank statement on that lol. So you're saying if it worked before, it should work after? I use Dolphin currently without any hiccups. So it should be ok then ? Sorry for all the questions, I do appreciate all the responses.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Upgrades are supposed to be better than the last, and in this case...it has definitely succeeded!

    - Faster, Smoother performance (My phone apps have not crashed once, on ICS my apps crashed and force closed a LOT)
    - Better UI, more easier to use
    - Google Now (Very useful if you drive a lot, but also good to have for information)
    - Notifications are much better

    Other than that, its not much different than ICS, but the extra things are a great plus...if you have problems with your upgrade, just factory reset and it should all fix
  23. #23  

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Upgrades are supposed to be better than the last, and in this case...it has definitely succeeded!

    - Faster, Smoother performance (My phone apps have not crashed once, on ICS my apps crashed and force closed a LOT)
    - Better UI, more easier to use
    - Google Now (Very useful if you drive a lot, but also good to have for information)
    - Notifications are much better

    Other than that, its not much different than ICS, but the extra things are a great plus...if you have problems with your upgrade, just factory reset and it should all fix
    How's your battery life?
  24. #24  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    Compared to ics... A bit of an improvement

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
  25. #25  
    KreepyKen's Avatar
    Just a cool guy

    Posts
    389 Posts
    ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

    Default Re: ICS vs JB

    I'll throw my yay into the mix, too. JB > ICS

    I like a number of the improvements, but three of them are well worth the time, effort, and factory wipe: Google Now, Blocking Mode, and Low-Light setting on the camera. I really like Smart Rotate, too. These features are all outstanding and make the phone more usable.

    Every update will come with some cons, but the ones I've experienced are very minor:
    1. The screen timeout and locking settings are at odds and glitch each other out. If you try to set it so that the screen locks at some point after it times out, then the timeout time goes down to about 10 seconds. If you set the lock to happen at the time of the timeout, then it works fine.
    2. A couple apps didn't work. Grave Defense and Bejeweled 2. I emailed the devs of Grave Defense, and they put out a working update that same day. I don't care about Bejewled, so I just uninstalled it.
    3. Battery life got slightly worse. But after a factory reset, the battery life is the best it's been since I bought the phone. Sucks to have to do a factory reset, but the phone works flawlessly now.


    I would whole-heartedly recommend this update.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ICS 4.0.3 vs JB 4.1.1 on the TF201 - Game compatibility/performance comparisons?
    By TekNinja81 in forum ASUS EeePad Transformer Prime
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 04:34 PM
  2. Voice Search/Actions: ICS vs JB - A step backward? You decide...
    By tyson.clarke in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 10:30 PM
  3. ICS Contacts vs JB Contacts
    By K2theIzzo in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 07:46 AM
  4. SGS2 with ICS vs Galaxy Nexus?
    By chmcke01 in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 01:12 PM
  5. ICS vs Galaxy Nexus
    By methree in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions

B