Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Awful battery life after Jelly Bean update.

I updated to Jelly Bean manually via Kies and my battery took a turn for the worst. I probably get 3-4 hours max out of it with normal use. I've only had the phone for a week. Is there a way to revert back to Ice Cream sandwich? Have any of you had this problem?

Default Re: Awful battery life after Jelly Bean update.

You need to see what's burning up your battery.. I've noticed slightly less life, but not by an order of magnitude.. I think if you research and change some settings along with adding Juice Defender you should be good.
    Uncle Reemus likes this.

I have noticed that battery status icon in the status bar now seems a little misleading. I have 92% but it looks more like 80 on the icon.

Pull the battery and leave it out for two minutes. Restart your phone.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by jcp007 View Post
    Pull the battery and leave it out for two minutes. Restart your phone.

I have seen quite a few threads regarding $H*TTY battery life after the update. I recall you relaying this same information to me as a friendly suggestion in another thread and I do appreciate the insight. How ever, I'm just getting through my 3rd factory data reset because of outrageous battery drain. At times it can be random and caused either by 1) the media scan or 2) google maps hogging up the percentage. With ICS, the highest percentage was always phone idle or screen (because either my phone sits or I'm using it for SMS/Gtalk/Facebook/Email). Also, when I do a reboot or a battery pull the phone always reverts back to the samsung keyboard as the default and not SwiftKey. WTF is that all about?

As far as I'm concerned this was a half-baked JB update. More con than pro. Maybe this is because all of these issues have been fixed with 4.2 and Sammy is just behind the ball with giving us a proper JB update? I'm quite sure I've just about had it with this "official" JB update. Once I find some spare time I'll root this bad boy and flash a custom recovery where I *KNOW* it'll wipe everything properly and not just hiccup along because of corrupt files that got left behind.
    Last edited by Enraged Medic; 12-18-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enraged Medic View Post
    I have seen quite a few threads regarding $H*TTY battery life after the update. I recall you relaying this same information to me as a friendly suggestion in another thread and I do appreciate the insight. How ever, I'm just getting through my 3rd factory data reset because of outrageous battery drain. At times it can be random and caused either by 1) the media scan or 2) google maps hogging up the percentage. With ICS, the highest percentage was always phone idle or screen (because either my phone sits or I'm using it for SMS/Gtalk/Facebook/Email). Also, when I do a reboot or a battery pull the phone always reverts back to the samsung keyboard as the default and not SwiftKey. WTF is that all about?

As far as I'm concerned this was a half-baked JB update. More con than pro. Maybe this is because all of these issues have been fixed with 4.2 and Sammy is just behind the ball with giving us a proper JB update? I'm quite sure I've just about had it with this "official" JB update. Once I find some spare time I'll root this bad boy and flash a custom recovery where I *KNOW* it'll wipe everything properly and not just hiccup along because of corrupt files that got left behind.
    You may want to PM jefferii who had the same issue with the GS3 on ICS. Is the JB update the only modification to your phone? No rooting? You could just have a battery that has gone bad. My battery life is just fine.

Thanked by:

Me too, you need to turn off all of Google's location reporting and the cause of the biggest drain is Samsung Push. I disabled it and now enjoy normal battery life. If you use the Samsung app it will enable it again but who needs that app anyhow. My wife still has ICS and after 1 day 12 hours she still had 73 percent battery after lite use. Tell people about Samsung Push as the battery life is really annoying everyone.

I too was experiencing very poor battery life after the JB update but my battery life was pretty poor w/ ICS too. I installed Juice Defender and immediately thereafter the battery life was still poor. Maybe 3-4 days after installing Juice Defender the battery life improved considerably and remains that way. I'm guessing maybe it takes a while for Juice Defender to adapt itself to your particular usage habits. While I still don't experience what I'd call exceptional battery life it is much better. I've never done a factory reset or removed my battery. I recommend installing Juice Defender and waiting for a few days to see if that helps you.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

In settings -> Battery, it will show what is eating your battery. If it is the screen, that means the brightness is doing it, and you can easily lower brightness. If it is Media, then you should remove the MicroSD card and see if that solves the problem(corrupted file on the card can cause this).

I would also recommend you install the Advanced Mobile Care app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bit.mobilecare On some days when I'm not using the phone much I am getting over 2 days on a single charge since adding it along with Juice Defender.. .The ONLY two gripes I have with the JB update are the bug with the default keyboard and the slower responding home button. Other than that I like all the new features and Google Now rocks! Hope that helps

FWIW, I also had poor battery life after the JB update, media was the culprit. Pulled my SD card, pulled the battery and restarted, and problem seems to be fixed. I upgraded to a 64GB card around the same time I upgraded to JB, so not sure if that card specifically is the problem or not, I will need to do some more testing, but at least the immediate problem is fixed for me.

I've seen a significant improvement in battery life since the update. Haven't had this issue at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I found the following link in another forum, but wanted to post it here for anyone having poor battery life. I was able to leave my Samsung Galaxy S3 on overnight, uncharged, for the first time since I got it and still have half a charge left in the morning. The fix is located in the sixth post on the thread.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...wake-time.html

I have tried the reboot and also did a battery swap with my son's phone and the problem is with the phone since the update. Have made sure wifi, bluetooth, gps,and even sync is turned off. Have gone into running apps and closed everything except android and email down. In my Battery information shows my screen as using 27% and device idle using 23% and cell standby using 20% shows 74% discharging. Would love any help i can get please..

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie Thomas1 View Post
    I have tried the reboot and also did a battery swap with my son's phone and the problem is with the phone since the update. Have made sure wifi, bluetooth, gps,and even sync is turned off. Have gone into running apps and closed everything except android and email down. In my Battery information shows my screen as using 27% and device idle using 23% and cell standby using 20% shows 74% discharging. Would love any help i can get please..
    It would really be best to do a screenshot of your battery page and then tap on the gray part of your battery page, go to the summary page, screenshot and then upload both of them here.

I installed the Advanced Mobile Care app and am running it on "Normal" and coupled that with Juice Defender set on "Aggressive" and am easily getting 16 or so hours with moderate to heavy use on my GS3.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I did the OTA update and my battery has been better. Not ground breaking better but better over all. Also I have noticed the radio to be working a lot better. Better signal inside certain buildings while working. Did we get a firmware update?

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    I did the OTA update and my battery has been better. Not ground breaking better but better over all. Also I have noticed the radio to be working a lot better. Better signal inside certain buildings while working. Did we get a firmware update?
    The OTA was an upgrade to Jelly Bean.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    The OTA was an upgrade to Jelly Bean.
    I know that. I was wondering if a firmware was included some how. That is all.

How likely is it that the battery issue isn't just a result of the battery itself? I have been on JB since it came out (granted, I got the phone and updated on the same day, so it was running JB on a brand new phone) and it has ran great until about 5 days ago. No changes to apps, settings, and now I am lucky to get 6 hours out of the phone. As of this morning with responding to 1 text message, and viewing/clearing my notifications, I'm down to 52% battery after 2hrs 16min of use.

Actually my battery life increased after the update I used to get 3-4 hrs of screen time before the update but now I am easily getting around 5 1/2 - 6 hrs of screen time, and that too with moderate to heavy usage.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

So after my post on the 52% after 2:16, I let my battery drain to dead overnight (sat dead most of the night). I plugged it in to a full charge this morning, and now after approx 2hrs off the charger, I'm only down to 91%. Is it a case of a "battery reset" via drain to dead? Not sure, but it's worked for me. I'll have to try this again the next time I have an issue to see if it holds true.

I've had my S3 for just a week. I did an OTA update to Jelly Bean. The battery seemed to be doing pretty well. However, last night, I charged the phone to 100% prior to going to sleep ~ 1 am. When I woke up @ 7 am, the battery was @ 40%. WTF?? I didn't do anything differently. I didn't have any processes running overnite. My phone is connected to my wireless router. My prior iPhone 3G never experienced such a rapid battery drain. I charged it up to 100% @ work ~ 1000 am. Now it's 6 3/4 hrs later and the battery is @ 75%. My phone connects to my workplace wireless. I keep bluetooth on all the time (as I did with my prior phone). I did also notice that when I got home around 6:30 last nite, the phone was @ 40%, but within a couple hours, it drained to 7%.

I hope last nite was just an abberation. I'm going to see what happens tonite and the next few days.

Update 1/24/13:

When I got home ~ 740 pm, battery @ 64%. There was a rapid drain to where the battery was dead ~ 1 am (6 hr later). This only happened the last couple nites. Here is a screenshot:

Where it says "14 h 5 m..... battery", right above the "e" in "battery" is probably when I arrived home. You can see the more steep downward decline. I disabled Samsung push as someone suggested above. Tomorrow, I will take the battery out and reseat it.
    Last edited by Shawn Magm; 01-24-2013 at 01:34 AM.

It because the new update so many running on the bg all you need it spend time try to disable some of then asap. also check what it running on the app application.

one more thing make sure you in deep sleep mode, my it close 98% try to dw app call cpu spy plus.and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and check how many % at deep sleep
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast