'Media Server" killing my battery!!!

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
plain and simple "media server is killing my battery rediculously fast. my wife's gs3 isn't even using media server cpu usage. iver read all over about this and most forums state it has something to do with corrupted images or media playback... well today my battery was completely dead after about 8 hours and that was not using my phone at all. as we know the android OS and screen typically consume most of the battery... but today i checked the batt stats when i noticed it was dead from very little use, and media server consumed over 60% of my battery and the screen only used 11%... something is way off and i cant figure this one out on my own. so i am going to do some troubleshooting , but if anybody else is experienceing this or has any ideas, please share! here is a screenshot...

and here is what i found on it - Buggy Android Mediaserver draining your battery – Connect-UTB

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-18-16-10-08_resized.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-18-16-10-08_resized.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 878

mark1123

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine was doing the same thing. Do you have micro sd card installed? I removed mine and I immediately started to see normal battery usage. May have been a bad card or?

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Its killing me softly...! But quickly!

edit: so i removed all photos, and enabled all my bloatware again. restarted and it seems to be fine now...

i enabled blaotware only because my wifes phone isnt suffering from this and none of her bloatware has been disbaled, so my thinking was maybe i disbaled something causing it to act up, and the media server to loop.

Last edited:

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Ironically this is exactly what prompted me to do the factory reset after the upgrade to JB. I noticed that exact battery drain issue. Now its just not there. Battery life is exactly as it was on ICS, and all the photos and videos I had are back on the phone.

bevcraw

Net Mod Emeritus
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem after updating to JB. I removed my SD card and performed a factory reset. Battery life returned to normal until I tried to add my music back. Then the problem returned. Another factory reset and all was good until I reinstalled a birding app that has a large database. Another factory reset and no music and no birding app and my battery is back to normal. I'm reluctant to add any music until I know more about this issue.

litlprince

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
You beat me too it.. well this is definitely a Jelly Bean Issue..

I have a 64gig sd card.. Its filled to max with music (40-50 gigs) and movies and such... Before JB battery life was as good as the day i got it.. but afterwards i immediately noticed that when i unplugged it in the morning it was at 50% by noon...

Like the others said when i remove the card and reset the phone (off and on) it goes back to the awesome nearly 2 day battery life that i've known and loved...

Its frustrating really. right now im stuck only being able to listen to a few songs that i got on the phone and whatever is in my google play account...

Yes i've tried to format the card in the phone and then put media on it... that didnt help at all.

one more thing that i didnt mention though... simply taking the sd card out doesnt fix the problem... its not until i reset the phone that media server stops....

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem but a different fix, I use a ext sd card for music but dogcatcher podcast app saved its files on the phone. I deleted all the podcast mp3s on the phone and changed the location of podcast to the ext sd and it fixed it. I did also delete all pictures from the phone. I had a feeling it was dog catcher from the get go, Att started to throttle me after I passed 5gig in the middle of downloading some new podcast. Dogcatcher flipped out with errors and after that, media server started to eat the battery

Jared Quackenbush

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Well just wanted to add my issues as well. On my gs3 I was running the FreeGS3 ROM from Team sonic and it was awesome. After about 2 weeks my battery was awful and saw that it was the Media Server. I couldn't figure out what was the problem so I just flashed my phone back to the stock rooted ROM... problem solved!!! Hip Hip Hurrayyyy!

So yesterday I decided to flash a new ROM and the ROM was working amazing. Well low and behold out of nowhere the stupid Media Server popped up and my battery life is appalling!

This sucks!

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I opened my mouth WAY too soon. This issue is back with a fiery vengeance. I did two distinct things with my phone this morning. First, I finally got around to installing a microSD card in my phone. Second, I used the Play Music app and downloaded one of my playlists to my phone. Reason being I was going for a very LONG walk. Anyways, nothing has been saved or installed to the memory card. So 4 hours later, my phone is screaming to be plugged in, because the battery is down to 3 percent (it was fully charged when I left for my walk). I just can't decide if the Media Server issue is a result of my having installed a memory card, or having downloaded one of my playlists to my phone. I'm thinking the latter, because before I wiped the phone for this issue, I had playlists downloaded to my phone. SO, if I can't have music saved on my phone....well this is really going to suck big floppy donkey d**k isn't it?

majorsuave

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I also experience this media server draining issue.
When at work I set my phone to airplane mode which prevents the battery from draining so fast (though it still drops 10% more than it used to after 8hrs at work).
JB update might be the suspect here though I have upgraded early December and I started to notice serious battery drains only in the past week.

I will try to wipe audio books and podcasts to see if it helps.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Back up your files and then delete all your media files from your phone and SD card and then put them back in. I don't know exactly which files it was but after my update to JB, my phone would not play wma files. I deleted them and dragged them back to my SD card and the files had to be converted by Windows. It said "if you skip conversion, files may not play in your device". So I agreed to the conversion and the "media server" was no longer eating up my battery life. Try it and see if it works for you.

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I was having this problem as well. Until I went into application manager and disabled "Media Hub" After doing so, media server is no longer showing on my battery usage :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc