Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New S3 lasted barely a day..

So last Saturday I mentioned to my wife that Sunday Best Buy would be selling the S3 for $49 and that she still had a Phone Freedom credit on her line we could get her a new phone free minus any taxes if she wanted one. She has used mine on and off but her daily driver was my old S2, before that she was using my old Inspire, before that, my old, old X10..see a pattern?
    I NEVER give her a new phone, she's just too damn rough on them, ever device I've handed down to her has been in near Mint condition and usually within a month or so she's damaged it somehow. Every phone. Every time.

So Sunday we get her a brand new S3 ($4.80 after tax), go home and start the tedious process of installing all her apps and what not while she orders herself a case from Amazon.

Flash forward to Monday. Around 1:30 I received a call from my daughters school saying she's hurt her foot. After a 4 hour wait at our local hospitals emergency room we're told we need to take her to a different hospital.. ARRGH!
    I go pull the van around to pick them up and apparently "my daughter" knocks the phone out of my wife's "pocket"..After a three foot drop to the concrete the phone now has a nice cracked through the top right of the screen (not the screen itself, mainly by the front facing camera)!
    Barely 24 hrs old. She doesn't want to tell me because she knows the" THIS IS EXACTLY WHY YOU GUYS DONT GET NEW PHONES!" lecture is imminent..
    No insurance from AT&T for this device, no black tie, no geek squad - what do you do?
    I'm tempted to say "oh well" and let her live with it as a reminder that she needs to be aware of these phones and maybe a little more careful. Is there anything that can be done? I thought about calling the manager at the Best Buy Mobile store that sold it to me and pleading my case but I seriously doubt it'll do any good.

Thoughts? - besides the "your a **** for scolding your wife" remarks.

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Default Re: New S3 lasted barely a day..

Smashed my screen on day 4..(I didn't have insurance either as I bought it from a third party retailer)..Paid $319 on Day 6 to get it fixed. Apparently there is a way to just replace the glass....but it isn't easy...

My screen still worked, even though it was smashed. It was a tough lesson to learn....but I wasn't going to throw my phone out...and I wasn't going to walk around with a smashed screen for long either. Go get it fixed....I think this proves that $7/month or whatever you pay for insurance....is worth it. After I got mine fixed, I promptly got insurance put on mine.

That does suck. The cost of a new screen is about $200.

I guess it is also kind of " shame on you" in not requiring her (I mean gently suggesting) to use an otterbox or something similar. My wife and I have always used a simple gel case (aka condom) on our phones and it has saved them on the few occasions that we have dropped them. The gel case is inexpensive and protects the phone while still keeping the profile thin.

If you can afford to I would just suck it up and see what it will cost to get a new one if you bring in the cracked one. Get an otter box or something for the new one and pay for the insurance. Merry Christmas.

I always trust in otterbox. Saved all 4 of my smart phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Marble White Galaxy S3
    HTC Rezound
    Acer Iconia A500 32GB

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

$20 fix if you're brave.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

The irony is her case arrived Friday afternoon..
    As for insurance, I have it on her line covering her S2, through AT&T, so I don't see why it wouldn't transfer to the S3. So maybe I can wait a bit and file a claim. There's no way I'm paying $100-200 to fix a phone that I paid $5 for - she'll have to live with it before I do that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New S3 lasted barely a day..-20121222_121826.jpg  

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

With best buy, they give you 30 days I believe to reconsider the insurance on the phone if you say no.

As long as the phone still works, see if you can get the insurance added without them setting the phone and a few weeks later or at the earliest possible time, take the phone back and tell them you want to replace it.

My wife is similar with gadgets. If I give her one of my hand me downs, she is careful with it for a short time, but I always catch her tossing phones around and banging laptops into walls, etc.

Sometimes I am tempted to give her a old Nokia indestructible phone so she can throw it around as she pleases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

I don't know if this advice is against forum rules but oh well.....take a tooth pic, fill the crack in with some white out and put that joint back in the box and exchange it. Tell them it kept rebooting on its own. BB doesn't give much of a hard time on returns. They'll probably just take a quick peek to make sure all the contents are in the box and exchange it. These people deal with HUNDREDS of phones a day and most likely don't have time to scrutinize every phone. If it works, just hit that "thank" button and send me a cool Christmas card in the mail. PM me for my address lol Good luck

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

Get the screen replaced and never carry this phone without a good case. It is thin and slippery.

I Dont mean to be a troll or anything but you got a phone for $5 and were too cheap to get the best buy protection plan. $170 for 2 years of coverage with no exclusion periods or deductibles... .....

I feel ya though. My wife is the same.. She tends to throw down her phone and of course drop it atleast 2 twice a day. Worst of all she wont use anything like an otterbox or the like for they dont look "cute" or whatever. With her ... protection plan is a must..

anyways... at this point all you can do is ask everyone if they can help you .. its a long shot but just see if bestbuy can do anything for you.. Maybe see if you can purchase the insurance over the phone or something... just don't show them the already broken phone.

Honestly, with your wife's phone breaking habit, and the low upfront cost of the S3. There's no reason why you shouldn't have purchased an OtterBox day 1 from Best Buy while you were purchasing the device. Seems only logical.
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I have an identical white S3, debating taking it in as 'hers' a and adding the protection plan.
    To make matters worse, her phone has started freezing randomly requiring a battery pull..

just buy a replacement screen and fix it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by SoreAintya View Post
    I have an identical white S3, debating taking it in as 'hers' a and adding the protection plan.
    To make matters worse, her phone has started freezing randomly requiring a battery pull..
    that might work but i want say that they actually record the serial number or whatever as its on the phone.... hold on a sec...... mmm.. yep..

looking at my receipt from when i got mine... the SKU is recorded on the receipt... So yeaa... i dont think that will work unless they simply dont ask to see the phone...

Quote Originally Posted by Jevangil View Post
    With best buy, they give you 30 days I believe to reconsider the insurance on the phone if you say no.

As long as the phone still works, see if you can get the insurance added without them setting the phone and a few weeks later or at the earliest possible time, take the phone back and tell them you want to replace it.

My wife is similar with gadgets. If I give her one of my hand me downs, she is careful with it for a short time, but I always catch her tossing phones around and banging laptops into walls, etc.

Sometimes I am tempted to give her a old Nokia indestructible phone so she can throw it around as she pleases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    You have to bring the phone in to show that it's still in good condition to put the insurance on it. And they'll probably check the imei if they're doing their job correctly.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    You have to bring the phone in to show that it's still in good condition to put the insurance on it. And they'll probably check the imei if they're doing their job correctly.

+1 we verify the phone's not damaged then add it on.

Sent from my busa!

I wouldn't get her another S3 it will be broken soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

You may have upgraded for $5. The phone unacivated is $550. So a $200 deductible really isn't that bad. Well that's my opinion.

Marble White Galaxy S3
    HTC Rezound
    Acer Iconia A500 32GB

Usually d carrier or retailers give u 30 days from purchase to buy the insurance.buy it now asap and then report the damage in a week or two.dnt b scurred
    Sent from my LG-LS970 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Try to do it online.im able to purchase mine online but maybe cuz i bought d phones online

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Honestly, that doesn't seem to be in a bad spot. Does it show when you have the front facing camera on? If not, I say screw it and deal with it. Let it be a reminder to her to be a little more careful. Granted, I went trough 2 RAZR MAXX's before the one I have now. First one was a drop in the middle of the night while I was sleeping, and the second time I just set the damn phone down normally. However, the inside LCD screen broke, not the glass. Seriously though, if it doesn't hinder the front camera, keep it as is.
    Thanked by:

....sore, ain't ya?

But seriously, there's no grand solution here. Lots of people break $700 unsubsidized phones and have to eat the cost to get a new one.

I've canceled contracts before because cancellation + activation on a new carrier was cheaper than an unsubsidized phone.

Here's your solution:

1. Talk to your wife and ASK HER what she wants. If she wants a new smartphone, get her one, with an otterbox. If not, get her something cheap she can use in the meantime.

2. Get insurance on your wife's phone. It's worth it given her history with phones. If she breaks a phone, check to see if its usable. Cracked screens aren't a big deal unless they're sharp. BE CAREFUL, if she breaks more than 2 devices in a year, the insurance can be revoked. To avoid this, use a damaged phone for part of the year and be sparing with your insurance claims.

3. Stop lecturing your wife. She probably feels bad enough about breaking all of YOUR old gadgets you're tired of anyways. They're hand-me-downs and free phones. Be mad when she breaks a phone you paid full price for. Or just be a decent human being.

Cheers

2 other options:

Get a squaretrade.com warranty - make claim in a few weeks. We never used it after the fact, but i use them for all my warranties, even the S3 I just bought at best buy (at $49 too). They last fixed my son's laptop screen, and ironically I had the work done through Best Buy and ST paid the entire repair bill (several hundred dollars!). Still, this would cost you about $200 - warranty is $125 for 2 yr coverage, $99 deductible (I think it used to be $49 You can find coupon codes online to get up to 35% off their warranty (I suggest you register with them online, and they may send you the 35% unique code I just used from them which expires 12/26).

Find a shop that replaces screens. My EVO took a face plant about 9 months ago in the parking lot as i came out of the gym holding it and my workout stuff. Went home, did online research for self repair and shops. Found a place in my hometown, drove to it and see it's the cellular store ACROSS the same parking lot Cost just over $100 for the new screen repair. HOWEVER, I don't think the mike ever worked as well again. Let me know if you want info on this place in FL.

Now you have me nervous as I'm waiting on my case from Amazon to come by Thur.

Also for some reason, the S3 is one slippery little booger. I've dropped mine 3 times in the first 2 weeks and I'm not a "phone dropper" at all. I finally got an Otterbox Commander series, didn't want the complete screen cover of the defender. A hint, you can get the Otterbox Commuter at amazon.com for $18 or less, free shipping, next day delivery.
    Last edited by Kelly Kearns; 12-24-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by durango992007 View Post
    Honestly, that doesn't seem to be in a bad spot. Does it show when you have the front facing camera on? If not, I say screw it and deal with it. Let it be a reminder to her to be a little more careful. Granted, I went trough 2 RAZR MAXX's before the one I have now. First one was a drop in the middle of the night while I was sleeping, and the second time I just set the damn phone down normally. However, the inside LCD screen broke, not the glass. Seriously though, if it doesn't hinder the front camera, keep it as is.
    I agree with this.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast