Cannot play WMA files

Sing141

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3 AT&T phone which is supposed to support playing of wma and wmv files. I cannot figure out how to play wma files. I download audio book files from various libraries using Overdrive Media. Overdrive Media has an app for the Galaxy s3 which I have loaded onto the phone. Overdrive downloads files from the library and then I transfer them to my phone. The files are listed on my phone, they are wma files and I assume not protected since they are designed to be played so the book may be listened to. That's the way it is supposed to work. If I connect the phone to my computer, open windows explorer and find and click on the files they play on the computer, but they won't play using Music Player or Google Play on the phone. I get a message saying the format is not supported.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Do you use a MicroSD Card? Usually when i transfer files to my MicroSD card, it asks if I want to convert it to the appropriate format for my phone to play it correctly.
If yours does not do that, try using a different music player. I would suddest u try "PowerAmp", which is a music player app in the app store, and a VERY good one.

If not, you could download a music converter to convert your files to MP3 format

RobbieL811

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3 AT&T phone which is supposed to support playing of wma and wmv files. I cannot figure out how to play wma files. I download audio book files from various libraries using Overdrive Media. Overdrive Media has an app for the Galaxy s3 which I have loaded onto the phone. Overdrive downloads files from the library and then I transfer them to my phone. The files are listed on my phone, they are wma files and I assume not protected since they are designed to be played so the book may be listened to. That's the way it is supposed to work. If I connect the phone to my computer, open windows explorer and find and click on the files they play on the computer, but they won't play using Music Player or Google Play on the phone. I get a message saying the format is not supported.

Our phones don't play .wmv files. You MAY be able to find a video player off of the play store that can do it but I generally convert any .wmv files that I may wanna play on my phone to .mp4. Just Google free .wmv converter. You will find one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
If they came from the public library then they are drm protected and they will not be portable to other apps or devices. You will have to play them using the overdrive media console.

This is one of the main reasons why many people resort to downloading non-drm copies--Simple portability

Sing141

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Books are downloaded from the library to my computer and than transferred from my computer to portable devices using Overdrive media console. They are non-protected wma files so far as I know. They can be played on any ipod, some android phones without converting them using any app, could be played on iphone 3s but not iphone 4 or 5 because they don't support wma files. I had them playing on a galaxy note 2 with no problems before I returned it because I didn't like the large size of the note 2. Overdrive lists a file to download for the S3 but when I try to load it on my phone it says it is already there and it isn't.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Books are downloaded from the library to my computer and than transferred from my computer to portable devices using Overdrive media console. They are non-protected wma files so far as I know. They can be played on any ipod, some android phones without converting them using any app, could be played on iphone 3s but not iphone 4 or 5 because they don't support wma files. I had them playing on a galaxy note 2 with no problems before I returned it because I didn't like the large size of the note 2. Overdrive lists a file to download for the S3 but when I try to load it on my phone it says it is already there and it isn't.

Are you using overdrive on your s3 to attempt to play the file? I believe the file in question would not be visible to you through a file explorer or other app unless you are rooted, much like with files downloaded from Google play music.

Samale Matina

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
No it doesn't, I just tried "Android Music Player" by JRT Stuido and it cannot play a WMA audio file.
Also tried their new player Rocket Player (also free). Even that one can't play WMA.

The only player I found to play WMA audio file was VLC Player but its still beta version software.

Last edited:

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hmm vlc may be your best shot. As far as I know wma is a proprietary windows format, and vlc had incorporated a open source workaround for it.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

StuartGW

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I'm confused. MX is a video player. WMA is an audio format. As far as I can tell MX does not play any audio files. Certainly I cant get it to find them let along play them.

BeckBe

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking here because of exactly the same issue. I *think* that the .wma format library audiobooks will not play on the Android, period. My library (Seattle Public) says only .mp3 will work with Android, and that .wma are Windows only. Even if your phone can play other .wma files (can it do that? non-library ones?), OverDrive for Android can't do it. And I don't think you could do it with another app; I don't think they're just regular .wma files.

I would ask someone at your library about it.

edit: See the FAQ on p. 6: http://www.spl.org/Documents/collection/Getting_Started_with_the_Overdrive_Android.pdf

DaWeav

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I play wma audiobook files from overdrive. Using the desktop browser (I'm using chrome), I downloaded the ODM file from Overdrive. Then using the Overdrive Media Console application on my Widows 7 desktop, I opened this ODM file and downloaded the WMA formatted audiobook. Then I connected my android to the computer and used the Overdrive Media Console to transfer the audiobook to my android device. It even let me choose between either the internal memory or sdcard. After it transferred, I disconnected my android and opened the Play Music app (by Google), and the audiobook was listed so I selected it and it started playing just fine.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 4

Biking4Jesus

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what the problem is with playing WMA files. When I got my first tablet the Android music player didn't play WMA files, so I got PowerAmp, which works great. However, when I got my SG3, I noticed that the built-in music player plays my library of WMA files just fine. I haven't had any problem, so I haven't installed PowerAmp on my phone.

Is it possible that the player isn't seeing the WMA file because it isn't in a folder that is scanned? Put it under a "music" folder on you SD card and see if it is listed and playable.

- Conrad

Christy Hess

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
What was the resolution for this one? I just got a Samsung Note 3. I have a book that I checked out from the library. Used Overdrive Media to transfer the file (also just tried copying the downloaded files directly to the SD card). When I try to use Music or Play music the .wma is an unsupported file format. I have downloaded a number of .wma player, can see the files and select them, but when I tried to play them they play at speeds of 100x (worse than the sounds of chipmunks). I would like to be able to borrow audio books from my library but most of them are .wma format. Please tell me if there is a some way that I can play these.

Thanks!

Al115

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
What was the resolution for this one? I just got a Samsung Note 3. I have a book that I checked out from the library. Used Overdrive Media to transfer the file (also just tried copying the downloaded files directly to the SD card). When I try to use Music or Play music the .wma is an unsupported file format. I have downloaded a number of .wma player, can see the files and select them, but when I tried to play them they play at speeds of 100x (worse than the sounds of chipmunks). I would like to be able to borrow audio books from my library but most of them are .wma format. Please tell me if there is a some way that I can play these.

Thanks!

Al115

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Thank!
I have the same problem, I can get audio books from the library either by transferring from my PC via Overdrive or directly when I used the Samsung Tab 3; I can't do that with any of the WMA format books on the Nexus 7. I cannot transfer the book from my PC although Overdrive sees the Nexur 7, all I get is an error message when I try to transfer, so I can't even try any other apps I had installed on the Nexus 7. I wish Google will allow an interface as in the Samsung Tab 3.

kaykoder

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Mine used to work... straight from overdrive and into Google Play. Now after the 4.3 update, it doesn't work on my S3. I'm not sure what the difference is. It's REALLY frustrating.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar