Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cannot play WMA files

I have a Galaxy S3 AT&T phone which is supposed to support playing of wma and wmv files. I cannot figure out how to play wma files. I download audio book files from various libraries using Overdrive Media. Overdrive Media has an app for the Galaxy s3 which I have loaded onto the phone. Overdrive downloads files from the library and then I transfer them to my phone. The files are listed on my phone, they are wma files and I assume not protected since they are designed to be played so the book may be listened to. That's the way it is supposed to work. If I connect the phone to my computer, open windows explorer and find and click on the files they play on the computer, but they won't play using Music Player or Google Play on the phone. I get a message saying the format is not supported.

Default Re: Cannot play WMA files

Do you use a MicroSD Card? Usually when i transfer files to my MicroSD card, it asks if I want to convert it to the appropriate format for my phone to play it correctly.
    If yours does not do that, try using a different music player. I would suddest u try "PowerAmp", which is a music player app in the app store, and a VERY good one.

If not, you could download a music converter to convert your files to MP3 format

Quote Originally Posted by Sing141 View Post
    I have a Galaxy S3 AT&T phone which is supposed to support playing of wma and wmv files. I cannot figure out how to play wma files. I download audio book files from various libraries using Overdrive Media. Overdrive Media has an app for the Galaxy s3 which I have loaded onto the phone. Overdrive downloads files from the library and then I transfer them to my phone. The files are listed on my phone, they are wma files and I assume not protected since they are designed to be played so the book may be listened to. That's the way it is supposed to work. If I connect the phone to my computer, open windows explorer and find and click on the files they play on the computer, but they won't play using Music Player or Google Play on the phone. I get a message saying the format is not supported.
    Our phones don't play .wmv files. You MAY be able to find a video player off of the play store that can do it but I generally convert any .wmv files that I may wanna play on my phone to .mp4. Just Google free .wmv converter. You will find one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

If they came from the public library then they are drm protected and they will not be portable to other apps or devices. You will have to play them using the overdrive media console.

This is one of the main reasons why many people resort to downloading non-drm copies--Simple portability
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Books are downloaded from the library to my computer and than transferred from my computer to portable devices using Overdrive media console. They are non-protected wma files so far as I know. They can be played on any ipod, some android phones without converting them using any app, could be played on iphone 3s but not iphone 4 or 5 because they don't support wma files. I had them playing on a galaxy note 2 with no problems before I returned it because I didn't like the large size of the note 2. Overdrive lists a file to download for the S3 but when I try to load it on my phone it says it is already there and it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing141 View Post
    Books are downloaded from the library to my computer and than transferred from my computer to portable devices using Overdrive media console. They are non-protected wma files so far as I know. They can be played on any ipod, some android phones without converting them using any app, could be played on iphone 3s but not iphone 4 or 5 because they don't support wma files. I had them playing on a galaxy note 2 with no problems before I returned it because I didn't like the large size of the note 2. Overdrive lists a file to download for the S3 but when I try to load it on my phone it says it is already there and it isn't.
    Are you using overdrive on your s3 to attempt to play the file? I believe the file in question would not be visible to you through a file explorer or other app unless you are rooted, much like with files downloaded from Google play music.

I just downloaded the Android Music Player from JRTSTUDIO. It plays my WMA files perfectly. The app is free.

No it doesn't, I just tried "Android Music Player" by JRT Stuido and it cannot play a WMA audio file.
    Also tried their new player Rocket Player (also free). Even that one can't play WMA.

The only player I found to play WMA audio file was VLC Player but its still beta version software.
    Last edited by Samale Matina; 07-15-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Hmm vlc may be your best shot. As far as I know wma is a proprietary windows format, and vlc had incorporated a open source workaround for it.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

Global Posts
    3,603 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

I use MX from the play store. I will play in any format, and works great.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!

Sorry I'm confused. MX is a video player. WMA is an audio format. As far as I can tell MX does not play any audio files. Certainly I cant get it to find them let along play them.

Global Posts
    3,603 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGW View Post
    Sorry I'm confused. MX is a video player. WMA is an audio format. As far as I can tell MX does not play any audio files. Certainly I cant get it to find them let along play them.
    My bad. Misread your post.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!

I'm looking here because of exactly the same issue. I *think* that the .wma format library audiobooks will not play on the Android, period. My library (Seattle Public) says only .mp3 will work with Android, and that .wma are Windows only. Even if your phone can play other .wma files (can it do that? non-library ones?), OverDrive for Android can't do it. And I don't think you could do it with another app; I don't think they're just regular .wma files.

I would ask someone at your library about it.

edit: See the FAQ on p. 6: http://www.spl.org/Documents/collect...ve_Android.pdf

I play wma audiobook files from overdrive. Using the desktop browser (I'm using chrome), I downloaded the ODM file from Overdrive. Then using the Overdrive Media Console application on my Widows 7 desktop, I opened this ODM file and downloaded the WMA formatted audiobook. Then I connected my android to the computer and used the Overdrive Media Console to transfer the audiobook to my android device. It even let me choose between either the internal memory or sdcard. After it transferred, I disconnected my android and opened the Play Music app (by Google), and the audiobook was listed so I selected it and it started playing just fine.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 4

I'm not sure what the problem is with playing WMA files. When I got my first tablet the Android music player didn't play WMA files, so I got PowerAmp, which works great. However, when I got my SG3, I noticed that the built-in music player plays my library of WMA files just fine. I haven't had any problem, so I haven't installed PowerAmp on my phone.

Is it possible that the player isn't seeing the WMA file because it isn't in a folder that is scanned? Put it under a "music" folder on you SD card and see if it is listed and playable.

- Conrad

Thanks so much! This worked wonderfully well!

What was the resolution for this one? I just got a Samsung Note 3. I have a book that I checked out from the library. Used Overdrive Media to transfer the file (also just tried copying the downloaded files directly to the SD card). When I try to use Music or Play music the .wma is an unsupported file format. I have downloaded a number of .wma player, can see the files and select them, but when I tried to play them they play at speeds of 100x (worse than the sounds of chipmunks). I would like to be able to borrow audio books from my library but most of them are .wma format. Please tell me if there is a some way that I can play these.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Christy Hess View Post
    What was the resolution for this one? I just got a Samsung Note 3. I have a book that I checked out from the library. Used Overdrive Media to transfer the file (also just tried copying the downloaded files directly to the SD card). When I try to use Music or Play music the .wma is an unsupported file format. I have downloaded a number of .wma player, can see the files and select them, but when I tried to play them they play at speeds of 100x (worse than the sounds of chipmunks). I would like to be able to borrow audio books from my library but most of them are .wma format. Please tell me if there is a some way that I can play these.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Christy Hess View Post

Thank!
    I have the same problem, I can get audio books from the library either by transferring from my PC via Overdrive or directly when I used the Samsung Tab 3; I can't do that with any of the WMA format books on the Nexus 7. I cannot transfer the book from my PC although Overdrive sees the Nexur 7, all I get is an error message when I try to transfer, so I can't even try any other apps I had installed on the Nexus 7. I wish Google will allow an interface as in the Samsung Tab 3.

Mine used to work... straight from overdrive and into Google Play. Now after the 4.3 update, it doesn't work on my S3. I'm not sure what the difference is. It's REALLY frustrating.

At that time it did. As of October it stopped. I'm looking again.

As we've all discovered there are a number of aspects to playing DRM protected WMA audio books we've checked out of the library. MP3s are a breeze. Just Use OverDrive Media player. Here's what I've had to do to play WMA audio library books.

1) Check out the WMA audio book via the Web on your PC.
    2) Go through the 3 step process to load and download the checked out audio book into OverDrive Media on your PC.
    3) Connect your Android device to the PC via a USB cable
    4) Choose TRANSFER in OverDrive Media to transfer the WMA files to your Android device
    Your Android device must be recognized by OverDrive Media
    If the transfer fails with an error message then your Android device does not have appropriate digital rights and is not going to play DRM protected WMA files - period.
    5) Assuming your Android device is recognized by OverDrive Media as a compatible device and the transfer was successful then you can play the WMA audio book on your Android device using MortPlayer Audio Books app from the Google Play store. It's just as good a player as OverDrive Media player is for MP3 audio books. MortPlayer Audio Books will also play your MP3 audio library books. During the transfer OverDrive Media player puts the audio book in your Music folder on your Android device. You can change the location if desired once the files are transfered. Your player just needs to know where to find the files.

Now there is a big assumptions here. Your Android device must be recognized by OverDrive Media player and MortPlayer Audio Books as having digital rights for playing DRM protected audio books. If OverDrive Media player can't transfer the WMA audio book to the device then MortPlayer Audio Books will not play the book even if you transfer the WMA files from your PC to your Android device using File Manager or ES File Explorer. Both players are checking for digital rights and expiration date. If either of these is not right the player won't play them.

Compatible devices:
    LG Optimus G Pro - no
    LG Optimus G - no - (Android version 4.1.2)
    Samsung Galaxy III - was the last time I used it before it was stolen
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus - no
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 - YES - (Android version 4.2.2)
    Old Sony Eriksson Xperia Arc S - no - (Android version 4.0.1)
    You'll have to try every phone or tablet you've got until you find one that is compatible. My Note is the only one I currently have that works. It's not really very handy for playing audio books. It's too big. But hey, I can listen to WMA audio books from the library on it.
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 

This just happened to me. I was using MortPlayer Audio Books via Overdrive Media Console on PC->transfering to device (and have been for a few years) to play .WMA audio books on my galaxy S3, then when ATT pushed the 4.3 update on me, MortPlayer no longer plays the very same audio books that I was listening to the day before.

Obviously, .mp3 works, but that means that most books that use .wma only can't be checked out anymore.

I am not sure what happened in the 4.3 update, but perhaps some new DRM business in the kernal messes with MortPlayer.

Hopefully a resolution is found for this...its sad that I can't listen to audio books anymore :-(.

Cheers,
    Brad
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 

Lightbulb Re: Cannot play WMA files

i had the same problem and struggled for long but i have finally found a player on Google play store that can do this for free. It is called Xplay music player. I hope this helps
    Thanked by:
    GSDer