1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default galaxy s3 data speeds

I need help I'm having a big issue with my s3 data speeds being extra slow I've just started noticing it with in the past 2 weeks I can't even stream a simple YouTube video with out it buffering every 5 sec of the video I have the unlimited at&t data plan I did the speedtest.net and I'm getting 118ms-ping 640kbps download and 993kbps upload on 4g its running on ics "because AT&T and samsung haven't released over ther air jb for my s3 or my note 10.1 " I've trtied googling everything and can't figure it out any ideas on how To fix the issue? Thanks guys

Default Re: galaxy s3 data speeds

Those speeds are slow as long as you mean kbps (kilo bits per second) and not kB/s (kilo Bytes per second). In order to stream video content reliably you probably need something closer to 2Mbps down (or 2000kbps--Leaving out the whole kilobytes vs kibibytes problem).

Are you not able to connect to a higher speed Wi-Fi network?

Global Posts
    1,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

Quote Originally Posted by repligation View Post
    Those speeds are slow as long as you mean kbps (kilo bits per second) and not kB/s (kilo Bytes per second). In order to stream video content reliably you probably need something closer to 2Mbps down (or 2000kbps--Leaving out the whole kilobytes vs kibibytes problem).

Are you not able to connect to a higher speed Wi-Fi network?
    It's the other way around. 8 bits is equivalent to 1 byte. So if you are doing 640kb, than that is actually 80kB.

And don't forget that AT&T starts throttling after you reach a certain level that they determine you crossed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    3348b76f

No, if his speed is 640 kB/s then that would correspond to a typical home wifi speed of 5120 kbps which would be more than adequate. As it stands he has a speed of 640 kbps which is only 80 kB/s.

1 Byte = 8 bits
    640 kilobits per sec x 1 Byte/ 8 bits
    or 640/8

80 kB/s is not adequate.
    Last edited by repligation; 12-31-2012 at 06:45 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Usually I could stream videoswitch issues I even would tether my tablet off my phone using svtp and watch Netflix no issues at all I just noticed itgingestion really slow even downloading a appeal take 2to 3 min usually it take 30 sec

Quote Originally Posted by galaxyking86 View Post
    Usually I could stream videoswitch issues I even would tether my tablet off my phone using svtp and watch Netflix no issues at all I just noticed itgingestion really slow even downloading a appeal take 2to 3 min usually it take 30 sec
    At 640 kbps (80 kB/s) a 4 MB app or mp3 would take 50 seconds to download.
    4000 kB / 80 kB/s = 50 sec.

You are probably getting slower speeds than that, perhaps more like only 300 kbps.

I just turned off my wifi and tested my AT&T network speed and got about 2400 kbps down with medium signal strength.

Your signal strength could also be the culprit. If you only have 1 or 2 bars with -110 dBm then your connection could be dropping mid steam.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by repligation View Post
    At 640 kbps (80 kB/s) a 4 MB app or mp3 would take 50 seconds to download.
    4000 kB / 80 kB/s = 50 sec.

You are probably getting slower speeds than that, perhaps more like only 300 kbps.

I just turned off my wifi and tested my AT&T network speed and got about 2400 kbps down with medium signal strength.

Your signal strength could also be the culprit. If you only have 1 or 2 bars with -110 dBm then your connection could be dropping mid steam.
    My I have all my bars on my signal and something strange happen today I was in another city that has 4g lte and it popped up I had all my bars but my internet wouldn't work no fb or anything then as soon as I got back to just 4g my internet started working again