Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default galaxy s3 data speeds

    I need help I'm having a big issue with my s3 data speeds being extra slow I've just started noticing it with in the past 2 weeks I can't even stream a simple YouTube video with out it buffering every 5 sec of the video I have the unlimited at&t data plan I did the speedtest.net and I'm getting 118ms-ping 640kbps download and 993kbps upload on 4g its running on ics "because AT&T and samsung haven't released over ther air jb for my s3 or my note 10.1 " I've trtied googling everything and can't figure it out any ideas on how To fix the issue? Thanks guys
  2. #2  

    Default Re: galaxy s3 data speeds

    Those speeds are slow as long as you mean kbps (kilo bits per second) and not kB/s (kilo Bytes per second). In order to stream video content reliably you probably need something closer to 2Mbps down (or 2000kbps--Leaving out the whole kilobytes vs kibibytes problem).

    Are you not able to connect to a higher speed Wi-Fi network?
  3. #3  
    kg4icg's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

    Default Re: galaxy s3 data speeds

    Quote Originally Posted by repligation View Post
    Those speeds are slow as long as you mean kbps (kilo bits per second) and not kB/s (kilo Bytes per second). In order to stream video content reliably you probably need something closer to 2Mbps down (or 2000kbps--Leaving out the whole kilobytes vs kibibytes problem).

    Are you not able to connect to a higher speed Wi-Fi network?
    It's the other way around. 8 bits is equivalent to 1 byte. So if you are doing 640kb, than that is actually 80kB.


    And don't forget that AT&T starts throttling after you reach a certain level that they determine you crossed.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    3348b76f
  4. #4  

    Default Re: galaxy s3 data speeds

    No, if his speed is 640 kB/s then that would correspond to a typical home wifi speed of 5120 kbps which would be more than adequate. As it stands he has a speed of 640 kbps which is only 80 kB/s.

    1 Byte = 8 bits
    640 kilobits per sec x 1 Byte/ 8 bits
    or 640/8

    80 kB/s is not adequate.
    Last edited by repligation; 12-31-2012 at 06:45 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: galaxy s3 data speeds

    Usually I could stream videoswitch issues I even would tether my tablet off my phone using svtp and watch Netflix no issues at all I just noticed itgingestion really slow even downloading a appeal take 2to 3 min usually it take 30 sec
  6. #6  

    Default Re: galaxy s3 data speeds

    Quote Originally Posted by galaxyking86 View Post
    Usually I could stream videoswitch issues I even would tether my tablet off my phone using svtp and watch Netflix no issues at all I just noticed itgingestion really slow even downloading a appeal take 2to 3 min usually it take 30 sec
    At 640 kbps (80 kB/s) a 4 MB app or mp3 would take 50 seconds to download.
    4000 kB / 80 kB/s = 50 sec.

    You are probably getting slower speeds than that, perhaps more like only 300 kbps.

    I just turned off my wifi and tested my AT&T network speed and got about 2400 kbps down with medium signal strength.

    Your signal strength could also be the culprit. If you only have 1 or 2 bars with -110 dBm then your connection could be dropping mid steam.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: galaxy s3 data speeds

    Quote Originally Posted by repligation View Post
    At 640 kbps (80 kB/s) a 4 MB app or mp3 would take 50 seconds to download.
    4000 kB / 80 kB/s = 50 sec.

    You are probably getting slower speeds than that, perhaps more like only 300 kbps.

    I just turned off my wifi and tested my AT&T network speed and got about 2400 kbps down with medium signal strength.

    Your signal strength could also be the culprit. If you only have 1 or 2 bars with -110 dBm then your connection could be dropping mid steam.
    My I have all my bars on my signal and something strange happen today I was in another city that has 4g lte and it popped up I had all my bars but my internet wouldn't work no fb or anything then as soon as I got back to just 4g my internet started working again

Similar Threads

  1. Speed up your Galaxy S3 in 2 easy steps
    By niknag83 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-26-2013, 11:26 PM
  2. data speeds on sprint galaxy nexus
    By avidandroider in forum Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 08:13 PM
  3. Galaxy nexus 4.1 update increased data speeds
    By danarmitage1898 in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 01:38 AM
  4. So, do I HAVE to pre-order the Galaxy S3 to keep unlimited data?
    By HollowVip3r in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 07:53 PM
  5. Extremely Slow Download Data Speeds On My Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100
    By joiggo in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2012, 01:37 PM

Posting Permissions

B