1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Default Can we get Jelly Bean without Keis?

Is there anyway to get Jelly Bean OTA? I can't hook up my GS3 to a computer because it's a work phone and our techies won't let us put Keis on our computers.

Default Re: Can we get Jelly Bean without Keis?

Quote Originally Posted by cjb44 View Post
    Is there anyway to get Jelly Bean OTA? I can't hook up my GS3 to a computer because it's a work phone and our techies won't let us put Keis on our computers.
    You can't connect the GS3 to your home computer with Kies loaded on it?
    There will not be an OTA JB update--Not on AT&T anyway. Verizon's is OTA though.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Security issues, we can't use our home computers to update. When you sayd no OTA update, do you mean there isn't one, or ATT won't ever have one?

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

If you "can't use" your "home computers to update" due to security reasons, and "it's a work phone," then there's a reason you're not supposed to use your home computers. Seems like you should be asking your "techies" these questions. You certainly shouldn't be trying to update the OSon your "work phone"if your IT Dept./employer has instructed you not to. That's typically their domain.

Will your IT team let you download Kies to your work pc?

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

There's no security issues with Kies it's an official Samsung program! But you can download it anywhere doesn't have to be one computer to rule them all and one computer to find them Frodo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Check with 611 and see if there is a Device Center in your area, all areas do not have one. It's a special AT&T store for technical problems and switching out phones if need be.

If you do, then you can go in the store and they will flash Jelly Bean for you.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by winmod21 View Post
    If you "can't use" your "home computers to update" due to security reasons, and "it's a work phone," then there's a reason you're not supposed to use your home computers. Seems like you should be asking your "techies" these questions. You certainly shouldn't be trying to update the OSon your "work phone"if your IT Dept./employer has instructed you not to. That's typically their domain.
    If it came with Jelly Bean we can use it...it's just we're not allowed to downloand any programs to our computer without permission. We can't even update Flash or IE (we can't even add a different browser). It's just a zero tolerance policy that they won't budge on.

ROM

If it came with Jelly Bean we can use it...it's just we're not allowed to downloand any programs to our computer without permission. We can't even update Flash or IE (we can't even add a different browser). It's just a zero tolerance policy that they won't budge on.
    Well, that speaks to the point I was trying to make. If that's your employers 'zero tolerance policy', than it seems, imo, that you should be following your employers policy with regards to the 'work phone' they issued and entrusted to you, and only altering and/or UI customizing what's allowed, per said policy. Have you asked your IT dept. techies?

If they aren't updating Flash or IE, they aren't really worried about their system and really makes me question their judgement as IT people.

It is beyond foolish not to update Flash and IE.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    If they aren't updating Flash or IE, they aren't really worried about their system and really makes me question their judgement as IT people.

It is beyond foolish not to update Flash and IE.
    IT is beholden to managemen. And I agree 100% and when asked how to get Jelly Bean I was told that I just need to buy a phone with it.

ROM

The OP, cjb44, said that "We can't even update Flash or IE", probably meaning that they, as employees, aren't supposed to be doing updates, etc. But cjb44 might not have meant that their IT dept.doesn't do regular updates, system maintenance, etc.as is typical.

Again, the only way is to go to an AT&TA Device center if there is one close and key then flash it.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3

Have to say I'm with winmod21 this. There are many reasons why an IT department/management might prohibit employees from updating across the board. People are generally id10Ts when it comes to work computers. Where I work we do not have admin privileges and therefore cannot directly install most software ourselves--There would be someone who would install music downloading software etc., otherwise. There is one person who loaded 50GB of personal family photos on our server not realizing that it was something she shouldn't do.

The phone could have specific work apps that are only designed for ICS and are not compatible with JB. Google Now is great but it can and will collect and readily display information about the users daily routines and whereabouts.

The OP could be risking unemployment over updating to JB.

For those individuals without a nearby Device Center (nearest one appears to be 3.5hr drive away) and who do not have a Windows or OSX machine (and thus cannot run Kies), will AT&T continue to provide OTA security updates to ICS customers? Or will AT&T at some point decide that everybody must migrate to JB and cease supporting ICS? I'm pretty sure my contract with AT&T does not have a line item requiring access to Windows or OSX and I know the GS III box itself does not list such a requirement...
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by repligation View Post

The OP could be risking unemployment over updating to JB.
    Nah, the risk isn't updating to JB, it's adding an unathorized program to my computer. And that would be Keis.

My thanks to everyone here. I went to one of the ATT Device Centers and they were able to upgrade for me. Slightly annoying to have to go there, but better than no upgrade.

Is the phone company owned? If it isn't and you are able to upgrade the phone, why did you not just use a friend's computer?

I see it is a work phone and they updated it through Kies at the Device Center. I've worked for the IT Dept and most of the time, when you are given a device, you have to sign something concerning it and that includes not making unauthorized updates, which "termination" is generally a possibility somewhere on that paper you sign.

Also, if you can't hook that phone up to a computer, again, that is exactly what the Device Tech store did.

Security issues, we can't use our home computers to update. When you sayd no OTA update, do you mean there isn't one, or ATT won't ever have one?
    Another confusing thread. Were you saying here that you are not allowed by your employer to load software like Kies on your own personal home computer? Or does your employer own and provide that as well?

What I'm getting is...never mind, become confusing to me.

I think they could only hook up the phone to work computers, but can't download Kies to their work computers and then can't hook their phone up to their home computers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums