Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 56
Like Tree8Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by k6rim View Post
    Went to my (regular) ATT store about a month ago. Reps there had never heard of either Kies or JB.

    Done downloading JB. So far, so good: Swift Key and Nova Launcher still working fine. All seems normal, but time will tell.
    That makes no sense that they have never heard of Jelly Bean, they sell Jelly Bean phones.

    Now if they aren't familiar with Samsung phones at all, then they might not have heard of Kies. I wasn't speaking about an AT&T store though, I was talking about a Tier 4 technical support group.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    I would guess the update will roll out much quicker than the 4.1.2 did for the Note 2, since many people already updated via Kies.
  3. #28  
    duman95's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Interested in your battery life on this update. Mine is worse then on 4.0.4.
  4. #29  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    i am in the same boat as you puma.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefGeek1 View Post
    Interested in your battery life on this update. Mine is worse then on 4.0.4.
    I have an 4000mAh extended battery. My phone is idle when I'm at work so I'll use that as a baseline. No WIFI, usually 2-3 bars 4G but occasionally it'll detect strong enough LTE to switch to LTE at 1-bar. GSAM under ICS typically estimated 150-160 hrs under these conditions. This afternoon, GSAM under JB estimated 202 hrs. I'd never a 200+ hr estimate before.

    That said, this morning gsiff_daemon went ape and drained 20% of the battery between the time I woke up and the time I got to work. I hadn't had a gsiff_daemon incident since around September/Oct timeframe so I hope that doesn't bode ill for JB.
  6. #31  
    winmod21's Avatar

    Posts
    472 Posts
    ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

    Default

    Viva La ICS ! :-D
    . . . no bugs; few glitches; no excessive battery drain; just about everything runs super fine, hunky-dorey, easy peazey, lemon squeezey! :-)

    Funny thing is though, I've been getting some odd black screens, that last for a second or two, and that seem to be occurring more frequently of late. Then once last week, every icon on every home screen vanished; there was nothing except five completely blank TouchWiz home screens....until I locked & unlocked the display

    So, to make a boring story short, I've been wonderin' if the OTA was gonna be coming along soon.
  7. #32  
    k6rim's Avatar

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Agree that it makes no sense. But it's the truth.

    But the two (2) ATT reps both said they never had heard of Jelly Bean - or Kies.





    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    That makes no sense that they have never heard of Jelly Bean, they sell Jelly Bean phones.

    Now if they aren't familiar with Samsung phones at all, then they might not have heard of Kies. I wasn't speaking about an AT&T store though, I was talking about a Tier 4 technical support group.
  8. #33  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by k6rim View Post
    Agree that it makes no sense. But it's the truth.

    But the two (2) ATT reps both said they never had heard of Jelly Bean - or Kies.
    I could understand Kies if they didn't own Samsung phones, but not Jelly Bean. They have no business being AT&T reps.
  9. #34  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    I'm quite new here, but sorry, I have a quick question.
    Plan to root my Note 2 but my phone is suddenly upgared from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 OTA. Am I still good to root my phone thru ODIN?
    Thanks.
  10. #35  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by ElpeePhablet View Post
    I'm quite new here, but sorry, I have a quick question.
    Plan to root my Note 2 but my phone is suddenly upgared from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 OTA. Am I still good to root my phone thru ODIN?
    Thanks.
    Wrong post brotha lol
  11. #36  
    winmod21's Avatar

    Posts
    472 Posts
    ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by k6rim View Post
    Agree that it makes no sense. But it's the truth.
    But the two (2) ATT reps both said they never had heard of Jelly Bean - or Kies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    I could understand Kies if they didn't own Samsung phones, but not Jelly Bean. They have no business being AT&T reps.
    Same here. Went into our local AT&T Corp. store, (a large one, in fact) and while talking to a lady AT&T rep. about their high Samsung phone prices in comparison to Best Buy, Sams, Radio Shack, etc. I mentioned Kies and Jelly Bean. She said "What is Kies?" . . . and, she knew nothing about Jelly Bean, let alone anything about pending updates.

    So, what's the latest? Is the JB OTA supposed to be happening everywhere in the U.S.? Coz I haven't seen anything yet, in my notifications.
    Btw, w/ AT&T.
  12. #37  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by winmod21 View Post
    Same here. Went into our local AT&T Corp. store, (a large one, in fact) and while talking to a lady AT&T rep. about their high Samsung phone prices in comparison to Best Buy, Sams, Radio Shack, etc. I mentioned Kies and Jelly Bean. She said "What is Kies?" . . . and, she knew nothing about Jelly Bean, let alone anything about pending updates.

    So, what's the latest? Is the JB OTA supposed to be happening everywhere in the U.S.? Coz I haven't seen anything yet, in my notifications.
    Btw, w/ AT&T.
    That is NUTS they don't know about Jelly Bean. Do they have only "apple fan" employees there? My local store, which isn't the huge main one here, they are all up to date on all the phones, Apple, Android and Windows phones. One that uses only HTC phones probably has never heard of Kies, but at least they are up to date on the OS of the various phones.

    As far as I know it is..you can always do a "check for updates" but don't get into the thing that many of the Note 2 people did a couple of weeks ago. They were bumping up their dates on their phone, to try and force it to show up, the AT&T servers seem to pick up on that and instead of telling them they could check for new updates in 24 hours, people were getting like 170 days, etc. Last I heard, AT&T said they had no way to correct, or maybe they refused and just said they couldn't and people would NOT get their update until that time was up. It will let you check once every 24 hours without a problem.
    Thanked by:
    winmod21 likes this.
  13. #38  
    winmod21's Avatar

    Posts
    472 Posts
    ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    That is NUTS they don't know about Jelly Bean. Do they have only "apple fan" employees there? My local store, which isn't the huge main one here, they are all up to date on all the phones, Apple, Android and Windows phones. One that uses only HTC phones probably has never heard of Kies, but at least they are up to date on the OS of the various phones.

    As far as I know it is..you can always do a "check for updates" but don't get into the thing that many of the Note 2 people did a couple of weeks ago. They were bumping up their dates on their phone, to try and force it to show up, the AT&T servers seem to pick up on that and instead of telling them they could check for new updates in 24 hours, people were getting like 170 days, etc. Last I heard, AT&T said they had no way to correct, or maybe they refused and just said they couldn't and people would NOT get their update until that time was up. It will let you check once every 24 hours without a problem.
    How were they "bumping up their dates" on their phones? How would you do that? Could I accidentally do that? What does that mean? Sorry for all the questions.

    Btw, I haven't checked on the "check for updates" yet, coz I haven't done the factory reset yet, that you & others have suggested doing before and after updating. Been meaning to, but got tired of trying to figure-out what file management app to choose, a few weeks ago, and then forgot about it all. Actually, until recently, my ICS has been running great. Don't know if you saw that post I made about recently getting some weird black screens, and then five home screens with NO apps anywhere just five empty TW live wallpaper screens?
  14. #39  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by k6rim View Post
    Fortunately, the Samsung page is WRONG.
    I am downloading the (presumably) JB update right now. (354.64 MB)
    Hopefully, it will be a worthwhile update without major bugs.
    ATT must think so, since it (finally) has made it available OTA. About time .............
    Samsung isn't wrong.. It was available on Kias.. Att just started the OTA.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  15. #40  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by k6rim View Post
    Went to my (regular) ATT store about a month ago. Reps there had never heard of either Kies or JB.

    Done downloading JB. So far, so good: Swift Key and Nova Launcher still working fine. All seems normal, but time will tell.
    You should be good. I've been using Nova and Swiftkey3 on JB for awhile without issues.

    Most issues I've seen have to do with SD card battery drain (from media service) or a few phones having to be factory reset. I haven't had either so.. All good

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  16. #41  
    k6rim's Avatar

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Well, look at what the Samsung web site said recently:

    This update is available through Windows and Mac computers using the Samsung Kies software application only. This update will not be made available over-the-air.

    SAMSUNG

    I would call the above information (from Samsung's web site) .... WRONG.
    _________________________________________________________________

    Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Thanks Like


    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Samsung isn't wrong.. It was available on Kias.. Att just started the OTA.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
  17. #42  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by k6rim View Post
    Well, look at what the Samsung web site said recently:

    This update is available through Windows and Mac computers using the Samsung Kies software application only. This update will not be made available over-the-air.

    SAMSUNG

    I would call the above information (from Samsung's web site) .... WRONG.
    _________________________________________________________________

    Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Thanks Like
    att could have said we won't do OTA then changed their minds On Samsung.

    I think Verizon was OTA and I know Sprint was as well.. So i would assume that's why Samsung said that for ATT. Unless that is under all of the carriers then yeah they are completely wrong lol.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
  18. #43  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by winmod21 View Post
    How were they "bumping up their dates" on their phones? How would you do that? Could I accidentally do that? What does that mean? Sorry for all the questions.

    Btw, I haven't checked on the "check for updates" yet, coz I haven't done the factory reset yet, that you & others have suggested doing before and after updating. Been meaning to, but got tired of trying to figure-out what file management app to choose, a few weeks ago, and then forgot about it all. Actually, until recently, my ICS has been running great. Don't know if you saw that post I made about recently getting some weird black screens, and then five home screens with NO apps anywhere just five empty TW live wallpaper screens?
    If you go to your time and date settings and take it off automatic, you can set it to any time and date you want.

    Seems like I have read before about some people with an S3 having these issues of a black screen, like it was some kind of freezing almost. I can't remember now where I saw that and if JB update took care of it or if there was something else that did. One thing, I just automatically cut off my phone for at least 1 min (not just restart) every couple of days, even though it is supposed to handle RAM well. Also, I've been having some issues with chrome lately, just finally removed it, but if there was an app you were using when or right before this happened and you remember, you might want to go into app management and go to the app and just clear the cache for that app.
    Thanked by:
    winmod21 likes this.
  19. #44  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by k6rim View Post
    Well, look at what the Samsung web site said recently:

    This update is available through Windows and Mac computers using the Samsung Kies software application only. This update will not be made available over-the-air.

    SAMSUNG

    I would call the above information (from Samsung's web site) .... WRONG.
    _________________________________________________________________

    Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Thanks Like
    Seriously we are going to argue about this? smh

    No, Samsung was not wrong, AT&T was clear they were NOT going to release it OTA. They were COVERED UP with calls with people having Kies issues back when it was released and seems they changed their minds and did pretty quickly, because as I said, the "ICU" techs and those way above Tier 3, had no idea that JB was coming out OTA. They had been told always, no OTA release.

    But seriously, does it actually MATTER?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    att could have said we won't do OTA then changed their minds On Samsung.

    I think Verizon was OTA and I know Sprint was as well.. So i would assume that's why Samsung said that for ATT. Unless that is under all of the carriers then yeah they are completely wrong lol.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Wasn't under all the carriers then, only AT&T
  20. #45  
    winmod21's Avatar

    Posts
    472 Posts
    ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    If you go to your time and date settings and take it off automatic, you can set it to any time and date you want.
    Oh! . . . the old time & date thing, huh? lol Yeeeeees, I should've known.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    Seems like I have read before about some people with an S3 having these issues of a black screen, like it was some kind of freezing almost. I can't remember now where I saw that and if JB update took care of it or if there was something else that did. One thing, I just automatically cut off my phone for at least 1 min (not just restart) every couple of days, even though it is supposed to handle RAM well. Also, I've been having some issues with chrome lately, just finally removed it, but if there was an app you were using when or right before this happened and you remember, you might want to go into app management and go to the app and just clear the cache for that app.
    Yeah, seems like I read about the same thing regarding the black screen, but can't remember where I saw it either. I suppose I could do a search, if I felt energetic enough.
    My BS (that's: black screen, of course) issue did start after I updated Rocket Player & Classic Notes. And tbh, I forgot you could roll-back updates, until I read yours and someone else's posts up above.

    And thanks for the reminder, Kelly. I forgot about the old 'clear the cache' ploy!
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
  21. #46  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    I just successfully updated. After looking through I noticed there is no longer a"mobile data" toggle is there anyway I can get that back? I use that pretty frequently and I'm disappointed about that
  22. #47  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by mordyb View Post
    I just successfully updated. After looking through I noticed there is no longer a"mobile data" toggle is there anyway I can get that back? I use that pretty frequently and I'm disappointed about that
    To that is gone, the only thing that we all figured out, is you can search the Play Store for "data toggle" and there are tons that you can put on one of your screens.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
  23. #48  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    To that is gone, the only thing that we all figured out, is you can search the Play Store for "data toggle" and there are tons that you can put on one of your screens.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
    But you wouldn't be able to get it in the notification bar?
  24. #49  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Quote Originally Posted by mordyb View Post
    But you wouldn't be able to get it in the notification bar?
    Nope, in my experience, with each upgrade, Samsung always ends up removing something from the toggle that people use all the time, did it with Froyo to Gingerbread also.

    One thing you can do it get a "toggle bar" and it will show up in the pull down shade, right under "on going". Someone had one, don't even know the name for it, but I'm sure there are tons in the play store. I had one with my old phone with gingerbread and had it at the top of my 2nd screen, don't even know if it had an option to show up in the notification shade or not. If you search for "notification widget" or "toggle widget" in the Play Store, then you can probably find one of several or start a new thread asking if anyone knows of a toggle widget that will show in the notification shade. I'm sure there are many that have them or know of some.

    The one I remember seeing on the screenshot, was white in the pulldown shade.
  25. #50  

    Default Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

    Look at this one, see if this works. It says "in the Android notification bar" might do what you want.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...9uVG9nZ2xlIl0.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The updated AT&T GN2 manual is now available ...
    By crosshair in forum AT&T Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-12-2013, 09:35 PM
  2. Tmobile is now pushing out JB
    By dt81 in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 05:22 PM
  3. JB Update OTA error
    By rozpanthir in forum Sprint Galaxy S3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 02:06 PM
  4. AT&T/Rogers 3G-capable and/or branded Nexus One is now available
    By Phil Nickinson in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 03:26 PM
  5. Update is is being pushed out now...
    By Jeremy in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Posting Permissions