AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Fortunately, the Samsung page is WRONG.
I am downloading the (presumably) JB update right now. (354.64 MB)
Hopefully, it will be a worthwhile update without major bugs.
ATT must think so, since it (finally) has made it available OTA. About time .............

Just last week, the news from AT&T was no OTA and many AT&T high tech employees were surprised with the OTA update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

k6rim

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Went to my (regular) ATT store about a month ago. Reps there had never heard of either Kies or JB.

Done downloading JB. So far, so good: Swift Key and Nova Launcher still working fine. All seems normal, but time will tell.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
What state do you guys live in that are getting the ATT JB update. I'm in mass. I checked my phone's software update & I get a return that all update servers are offline. I'm running ICS still and I'm on the fence with JB.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Florida, and so far there seems to be no discernable difference between my kies updated s3 and my wife's s3 which was updated last night ota.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Went to my (regular) ATT store about a month ago. Reps there had never heard of either Kies or JB.

Done downloading JB. So far, so good: Swift Key and Nova Launcher still working fine. All seems normal, but time will tell.

That makes no sense that they have never heard of Jelly Bean, they sell Jelly Bean phones.

Now if they aren't familiar with Samsung phones at all, then they might not have heard of Kies. I wasn't speaking about an AT&T store though, I was talking about a Tier 4 technical support group.

blue_sector

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Interested in your battery life on this update. Mine is worse then on 4.0.4.

I have an 4000mAh extended battery. My phone is idle when I'm at work so I'll use that as a baseline. No WIFI, usually 2-3 bars 4G but occasionally it'll detect strong enough LTE to switch to LTE at 1-bar. GSAM under ICS typically estimated 150-160 hrs under these conditions. This afternoon, GSAM under JB estimated 202 hrs. I'd never a 200+ hr estimate before.

That said, this morning gsiff_daemon went ape and drained 20% of the battery between the time I woke up and the time I got to work. I hadn't had a gsiff_daemon incident since around September/Oct timeframe so I hope that doesn't bode ill for JB.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Viva La ICS ! :-D
. . . no bugs; few glitches; no excessive battery drain; just about everything runs super fine, hunky-dorey, easy peazey, lemon squeezey! :)

Funny thing is though, I've been getting some odd black screens, that last for a second or two, and that seem to be occurring more frequently of late. Then once last week, every icon on every home screen vanished; there was nothing except five completely blank TouchWiz home screens....until I locked & unlocked the display :-\

So, to make a boring story short, I've been wonderin' if the OTA was gonna be coming along soon.

k6rim

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Agree that it makes no sense. But it's the truth.

But the two (2) ATT reps both said they never had heard of Jelly Bean - or Kies.

That makes no sense that they have never heard of Jelly Bean, they sell Jelly Bean phones.

Now if they aren't familiar with Samsung phones at all, then they might not have heard of Kies. I wasn't speaking about an AT&T store though, I was talking about a Tier 4 technical support group.

ElpeePhablet

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm quite new here, but sorry, I have a quick question.
Plan to root my Note 2 but my phone is suddenly upgared from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 OTA. Am I still good to root my phone thru ODIN?
Thanks.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Agree that it makes no sense. But it's the truth.
But the two (2) ATT reps both said they never had heard of Jelly Bean - or Kies.
I could understand Kies if they didn't own Samsung phones, but not Jelly Bean. They have no business being AT&T reps.
Same here. Went into our local AT&T Corp. store, (a large one, in fact) and while talking to a lady AT&T rep. about their high Samsung phone prices? in comparison to Best Buy, Sams, Radio Shack, etc. ? I mentioned Kies and Jelly Bean. She said "What is Kies?" :confused: . . . and, she knew nothing about Jelly Bean, let alone anything about pending updates.

So, what's the latest? Is the JB OTA supposed to be happening everywhere in the U.S.? Coz I haven't seen anything yet, in my notifications.
Btw, w/ AT&T.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Went into our local AT&T Corp. store, (a large one, in fact) and while talking to a lady AT&T rep. about their high Samsung phone prices? in comparison to Best Buy, Sams, Radio Shack, etc. ? I mentioned Kies and Jelly Bean. She said "What is Kies?" :confused: . . . and, she knew nothing about Jelly Bean, let alone anything about pending updates.

So, what's the latest? Is the JB OTA supposed to be happening everywhere in the U.S.? Coz I haven't seen anything yet, in my notifications.
Btw, w/ AT&T.

That is NUTS they don't know about Jelly Bean. Do they have only "apple fan" employees there? My local store, which isn't the huge main one here, they are all up to date on all the phones, Apple, Android and Windows phones. One that uses only HTC phones probably has never heard of Kies, but at least they are up to date on the OS of the various phones.

As far as I know it is..you can always do a "check for updates" but don't get into the thing that many of the Note 2 people did a couple of weeks ago. They were bumping up their dates on their phone, to try and force it to show up, the AT&T servers seem to pick up on that and instead of telling them they could check for new updates in 24 hours, people were getting like 170 days, etc. Last I heard, AT&T said they had no way to correct, or maybe they refused and just said they couldn't and people would NOT get their update until that time was up. It will let you check once every 24 hours without a problem.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
That is NUTS they don't know about Jelly Bean. Do they have only "apple fan" employees there? My local store, which isn't the huge main one here, they are all up to date on all the phones, Apple, Android and Windows phones. One that uses only HTC phones probably has never heard of Kies, but at least they are up to date on the OS of the various phones.

As far as I know it is..you can always do a "check for updates" but don't get into the thing that many of the Note 2 people did a couple of weeks ago. They were bumping up their dates on their phone, to try and force it to show up, the AT&T servers seem to pick up on that and instead of telling them they could check for new updates in 24 hours, people were getting like 170 days, etc. Last I heard, AT&T said they had no way to correct, or maybe they refused and just said they couldn't and people would NOT get their update until that time was up. It will let you check once every 24 hours without a problem.
How were they "bumping up their dates" on their phones? How would you do that? Could I accidentally do that? What does that mean? Sorry for all the questions. ;)

Btw, I haven't checked on the "check for updates" yet, coz I haven't done the factory reset yet, that you & others have suggested doing before and after updating. Been meaning to, but got tired of trying to figure-out what file management app to choose, a few weeks ago, and then forgot about it all. Actually, until recently, my ICS has been running great. Don't know if you saw that post I made about recently getting some weird black screens, and then five home screens with NO apps anywhere ? just five empty TW live wallpaper screens?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Fortunately, the Samsung page is WRONG.
I am downloading the (presumably) JB update right now. (354.64 MB)
Hopefully, it will be a worthwhile update without major bugs.
ATT must think so, since it (finally) has made it available OTA. About time .............

Samsung isn't wrong.. It was available on Kias.. Att just started the OTA.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You should be good. I've been using Nova and Swiftkey3 on JB for awhile without issues.

Most issues I've seen have to do with SD card battery drain (from media service) or a few phones having to be factory reset. I haven't had either so.. All good :D

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums