AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

blue_sector

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks like AT&T is no longer requiring Kies to update ICS to JB. You might remember I've complained in the past about the Kies-only nature of the update since I don't have any personal machines running Windows or OSX (and I wasn't going to buy Windows 7 install media just to update my phone), Looks like those complaints are moot now. This afternoon, my phone received an update over WIFI that appears to have taken me to 4.1.1. Download size was only 350MB which is quite a bit smaller than the Kies-supplied update (700+MB, right?). Makes me wonder if the OTA update omitted anything...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Looks like AT&T is no longer requiring Kies to update ICS to JB. You might remember I've complained in the past about the Kies-only nature of the update since I don't have any personal machines running Windows or OSX (and I wasn't going to buy Windows 7 install media just to update my phone), Looks like those complaints are moot now. This afternoon, my phone received an update over WIFI that appears to have taken me to 4.1.1. Download size was only 350MB which is quite a bit smaller than the Kies-supplied update (700+MB, right?). Makes me wonder if the OTA update omitted anything...

Odd it is that small...

blue_sector

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
sshot.png

Download was pretty slow...couple hours. It even self-terminated about 83% through although it happily restarted where it left off when I tried to do a manual update via the 'About Device' --> 'Software Update' option. Given the size discrepancy versus JB-over-Kies, I assumed that this was merely a fix for the recent Java security holes.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
hmmm...same info as mine. It took 2 hours and was half the size?? Took me about 20 minutes from downloading Kies to upgrade being finished.

WymanD

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Cool Beans...downloading now......or should I say..."Cool Jellybeans!!"...

Edit, just finished the download, took maybe 15-20 minutes tops, , 354.64 MB.

Last edited:

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Holy crap, I updated my s3 to 4.1.1 over a month ago via Kies but my wife's phone I left alone on ICS because she really doesn't care that much. Sure enough it is there on hers OTA at 355MB and downloading right now. What the hell did they leave out at half the size?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Holy crap, I updated my s3 to 4.1.1 over a month ago via Kies but my wife's phone I left alone on ICS because she really doesn't care that much. Sure enough it is there on hers OTA at 355MB and downloading right now. What the hell did they leave out at half the size?

I'm really interested in knowing what was left out also. Since you have two phones upgraded two different ways, I nominate you to search both phones and tell us the difference. :)

Anyone second that nomination?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And the Samsung page still says this:

This update is available through Windows and Mac computers using the Samsung Kies software application only. This update will not be made available over-the-air.

SAMSUNG

Puma91

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been able to get the update yet? I had not received an update notification and when I went to check for a software update it said one wasn't available.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm really interested in knowing what was left out also. Since you have two phones upgraded two different ways, I nominate you to search both phones and tell us the difference. :)

Anyone second that nomination?

And the Samsung page still says this:

This update is available through Windows and Mac computers using the Samsung Kies software application only. This update will not be made available over-the-air.

SAMSUNG

Not sure. Even the Engadget article doesn't mention the difference.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/16/att-galaxy-s3-jelly-bean/

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

superm1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'd bet it's smaller because of the way that an OTA update works vs how a kies update works.

OTA update is a binary patch to the filesystem. If binaries are modified at all it doesn't work.
KIES update is actually a full partition image. The phone wipes the entire partition that contains /system and then flashes the stuff from KIES.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd bet it's smaller because of the way that an OTA update works vs how a kies update works.

OTA update is a binary patch to the filesystem. If binaries are modified at all it doesn't work.
KIES update is actually a full partition image. The phone wipes the entire partition that contains /system and then flashes the stuff from KIES.

Ok, finally..someone speaking a language I can understand about what could be the cause of the big file size difference!

k6rim

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Fortunately, the Samsung page is WRONG.
I am downloading the (presumably) JB update right now. (354.64 MB)
Hopefully, it will be a worthwhile update without major bugs.
ATT must think so, since it (finally) has made it available OTA. About time .............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs