Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelly Kearns
  • 1 Post By Kelly Kearns
  • 1 Post By Kelly Kearns
  • 1 Post By KreepyKen
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default When might "fixed" Jelly Bean be released?

On one hand, I'm tempted to upgrade my S3 to Jelly Bean on ATT.

On the other hand, I know some people have had bugs and problems which have required a factory wipe.

My phone is pretty stable, so I guess it's not an emergency to upgrade, but my inner geek really wants the latest and greatest.

I have the impression that JB became available via Kies on ATT about 3 weeks ago.

Question:
    How long might I need to wait if I wanted the next publication of JB which might contain some bug fixes?

Does it work that way or would I have to wait for the next MAJOR release?

Any guess as to time table based on past experiences with releases & ATT?

Thanks,
    Mike

PS: I asked this in another thread, so pardon the redundancy, but: will the JB update wipe my phone, causing me to start from scratch?

Default Re: When might "fixed" Jelly Bean be released?

A factory reset is normal after updating. This is the official, done, release.

Just updating will not write your phone, but most people suggest to always do a factory reset after an update, even an official update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Just to clarify: after I apply the JB update, all my apps, data & launcher config will be there, safe and sound.

However, many people, do a full erase after the update so it increases the odds of it running better, RIGHT?

Thx,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by pcguys View Post
    Just to clarify: after I apply the JB update, all my apps, data & launcher config will be there, safe and sound.

However, many people, do a full erase after the update so it increases the odds of it running better, RIGHT?

Thx,
    Mike
    Yup, it's actually best to do a factory reset before updating and then again after, makes it close to a "clean install" rather than upgrade.

I move ringtones that are custom to my SD card and my pictures are on the card and your apps are listed in the Play Store. Also if you sync your contacts to your gmail account and your calendar, those will all show back up when you logged back in to your gmail.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Great, thanks for the clarification!

Mike

ROM
    Intergalactic 2.4

I never did a factory reset after my jb update, and I didn't have any problems. That's just me though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by NewMind83 View Post
    I never did a factory reset after my jb update, and I didn't have any problems. That's just me though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    It's hit or miss and many had issues after that only the reset corrected.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

Many people don't understand that the problems that come in from an update are generally caused when apps you have installed on the phone get in the way of the update process. Antivirus then would be something that might get in the way of some parts of the update process, so uninstalling that on your phone before an update would make sense. Swype 1.2 comes as a part of the 4.1.1 update, and because the keyboard has to be a part of the update, any other keyboards MIGHT also break things, so uninstalling any keyboards before you do the update would also be a good idea. Then you have launchers, such as Nova Launcher. Since launchers are a part of how the OS operates, there is a possibility that launchers might break as a part of the update, so you should uninstall any launchers before trying to update.

Rooted phones have lots of differences from the stock/official Android, so the update process may very well break as a result, and that is why official OTA or Kies updates should never be attempted on rooted phones unless you have reverted back to the official image. If you keep all of the above in mind and get back to a fairly standard setup before the official update, then the update should not cause any problems for you. There are far too many people who assume that update problems are the fault of the update, rather than apps that don't handle the update process very well and can break. The deeper the app embeds itself into the OS, the more of a chance the update will break in some way as a result.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Targon: That's brilliant !! Really good point about uninstalling anti-virus (makes total sense). I have swift key 3 and go launcher. I think I'll just roll the dice. If things don't go well, I'm emotionally prepared to erase everything but I might as well see what happens not.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by pcguys View Post
    Targon: That's brilliant !! Really good point about uninstalling anti-virus (makes total sense). I have swift key 3 and go launcher. I think I'll just roll the dice. If things don't go well, I'm emotionally prepared to erase everything but I might as well see what happens not.

Mike
    I had stock, my phone was only a week old, very few apps on my phone, didn't have launchers or keyboards, etc, my anti virus turned on while updating. That's why I didn't do a reset after updating, I was good for 2 weeks. Really, its hit or miss, there are so many variables to it. I know for a fact if you have problems after an upgrade, first thing Samsung will tell you is to reset and that will fix many issues. Myself, I just always prepare for the reset now.

I lucked out. Nova and quite a few apps and all went smooth

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

What is the best way to save as much of one's stuff as possible (short of rooting) prior to a reset?
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by BBrefugee View Post
    What is the best way to save as much of one's stuff as possible (short of rooting) prior to a reset?
    There are a couple ways to back up apps without rooting. I've used and it worked great. The trouble with backing up just apps is that none of your settings/preferences/logins travel with the apps. You need to root the phone to be able to back up the app data, but that can cause havoc if you restore the settings on a phone with a different OS version than the one you saved them from.
    Thanked by:
    D16RR 

I honestly was disappointed by the update. It made my phone laggy as hell. Luckily, I rooted my phone and found an ICS ROM.
    How do we know we are not brains in a V.A T.S ?

Quote Originally Posted by garcia_jx View Post
    I honestly was disappointed by the update. It made my phone laggy as hell. Luckily, I rooted my phone and found an ICS ROM.
    Now that is the complete opposite of what really almost everyone has said. In fact, it has seemed to make almost all (won't say all, have no idea) much snappier.

You sure you didn't have an app causing that or did you do a factory reset after when you noticed it being laggy?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    Now that is the complete opposite of what really almost everyone has said. In fact, it has seemed to make almost all (won't say all, have no idea) much snappier.

You sure you didn't have an app causing that or did you do a factory reset after when you noticed it being laggy?
    I did the complete factory reset, but it did not help. Aiding to the problem was the lost of flash support and the fact that Swype Beta did not work properly with Jelly Bean.

I did the complete factory reset, but it did not help. Aiding to the problem was the lost of flash support and the fact that Swype Beta did not work properly with Jelly Bean.
    We can get you Flash, no problem, the same file you install for Flash for ICS is what you install for JB. I just downloaded Swype Beta last night, seems it is different than the Swype that came on my phone and it's working great on my phone, better than the Swype that was on my phone..hmm..odd.
    winmod21 likes this.

It's weird, because I was able to install the APK for flash and get it working, but for some reason the web browsers did not recognize it, and the screen would turn off while a video was playing. I think for what I used my phone, the ICS is the prefer choice for me.

If you were using Chrome, it won't use Flash, but the stock browser will, just an FYI. Not sure about other browsers.

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

We can get you Flash, no problem, the same file you install for Flash for ICS is what you install for JB. I just downloaded Swype Beta last night, seems it is different than the Swype that came on my phone and it's working great on my phone, better than the Swype that was on my phone..hmm..odd.
    Kelly – Check-out Swype Beta 'Red' ~~~~~~~~~ . . . that's what I've been using, and I don't know, but I guess I like the red swype the best. The only thing is, I've been planning on uninstalling & re-installing, coz my SB seems to have developed a mind of it's own, changing things I've chosen or corrected—back to what it wants to send! lol

So, when you update from ICS to JB, you lose Flash?

Quote Originally Posted by winmod21 View Post
    Kelly – Check-out Swype Beta 'Red' ~~~~~~~~~ . . . that's what I've been using, and I don't know, but I guess I like the red swype the best. The only thing is, I've been planning on uninstalling & re-installing, coz my SB seems to have developed a mind of it's own, changing things I've chosen or corrected—back to what it wants to send! lol

So, when you update from ICS to JB, you lose Flash?
    I saw you talking about that yesterday, which is why I went and downloaded Swype Beta from the Swype site. Where is the red?

Yup, when I upgraded I lost Flash, but I had the apk from Macromedia on my SD card and just installed it again.
    Thanked by:
    winmod21 likes this.

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

I don't know where my phone is. . . . but the theme choices are under Settings > and I think (Personalization?) or something like that; then scroll down towards the bottom of the themes. That is, unless you have a later Beta than I have, and they've omitted the 'Red', which wouldn't surprise me– since it's the one I like.

Here's what (my Swype Beta v1.3) has been pulling lately. And I kid you not, I'm positive that I corrected those incorrect predictive errors before I tapped 'Send' !

Gotta scoot and go run my truck thru the car-wash before the temps drop below freezing. Back later.

Quote Originally Posted by winmod21 View Post
    I don't know where my phone is. . . . but the theme choices are under Settings > and I think (Personalization?) or something like that; then scroll down towards the bottom of the themes. That is, unless you have a later Beta than I have, and they've omitted the 'Red', which wouldn't surprise me– since it's the one I like.

Here's what (my Swype Beta v1.3) has been pulling lately. And I kid you not, I'm positive that I corrected those incorrect predictive errors before I tapped 'Send' !

Gotta scoot and go run my truck thru the car-wash before the temps drop below freezing. Back later.
    ahhh..I have 1.4, I want a pink..didn't even look at the themes. Those are good ones lol. I sent a text to someone on my S3 and it said I was "pig driving" whatever that is lol.

I think my Swype on my Captivate was much more accurate, but so far, this version 1.4 is better than what came on my phone.

Looking now 1.4 has Red listed.
    winmod21 likes this.
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Flash: I don't think anything has changed between ICS and JB. Before the update, we were limited to certain browsers: Dolphin and XScope. After the JB update, it's the same thing. I can't speak for the stock browser, but I know that Chrome has never supported it. After the JB update, I did a factory reset, then installed Flash and XScope. Works beautifully.

Swype Beta: I've been using this for years, and it was one of the first apps I installed when I got the phone, then again after I upgraded to JB. It has worked beautifully the entire time.
    winmod21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKen View Post
    Flash: I don't think anything has changed between ICS and JB. Before the update, we were limited to certain browsers: Dolphin and XScope. After the JB update, it's the same thing. I can't speak for the stock browser, but I know that Chrome has never supported it. After the JB update, I did a factory reset, then installed Flash and XScope. Works beautifully.

Swype Beta: I've been using this for years, and it was one of the first apps I installed when I got the phone, then again after I upgraded to JB. It has worked beautifully the entire time.
    Flash works with the stock browser. I did have Chrome and stock and just took Chrome off the other day, decided to start eating battery.