Is this normal for the battery life?

xamberx101

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
My battery life on my 3 week old Samsung Galaxy s3 drains about 10% every hour, with NO apps downloaded or running, battery saving mode on, and brightness on low. Also, this is with no internet browsing, no texting, no calls.
For example, I unplugged it this morning at 9AM, with 100%, went to work till 5PM, not using it once, and it was down to 35%! Is that normal?

It says on my battery page:
Cell standby: 40%
Android System: 22%
Screen: 17%
Maps: 13%
Device Idle: 5%
Android OS: 5%

I've only had it off the charger at 100% for an hour, no usage, and its already down to 85%

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
My battery life on my 3 week old Samsung Galaxy s3 drains about 10% every hour, with NO apps downloaded or running, battery saving mode on, and brightness on low. Also, this is with no internet browsing, no texting, no calls.
For example, I unplugged it this morning at 9AM, with 100%, went to work till 5PM, not using it once, and it was down to 35%! Is that normal?

It says on my battery page:
Cell standby: 40%
Android System: 22%
Screen: 17%
Maps: 13%
Device Idle: 5%
Android OS: 5%

I've only had it off the charger at 100% for an hour, no usage, and its already down to 85%

Judging by the 40% cell standby, I'm going to guess you get weak cell signal. That will kill your battery faster than anything else. Check signal strength at work. If you're getting zero or one bar, then that's your culprit. But something that doesn't jive is that Android System is at 22%. That's pretty high. I see that with the plummet when it happens.

Are you in an LTE area?
Is it every day or sporadic?
Next time it's that low after work, take a screenshot of the battery stats so we can see the overall drain rate.

If it turns out to be poor cell reception causing it, the only two options you have to fix it are to (1) connect to wifi at work; or (2) turn it off at work. Well...you might have success with Airplane Mode, which turns off all the radios. You can then turn wifi back on if it's available. Or just see how the battery performs with all the radios off.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Another thought...I see maps with a pretty high number. Do you have GPS turned on? That will increase the battery usage if it's turned on...especially if you're in a large building where it can't connect to the satellites. If you turn GPS off when not using it, then Maps shouldn't run in the background like that as much.

People will tell you that wifi and bluetooth will kill your battery, but they really don't. If you're not in wifi or bluetooth range of anything, then those radios just go dormant. They go active when they encounter a signal. The cell radios are a different story. They constantly ping the towers to talk to the network. If they don't find a tower, they crank and crank until they do (bad for battery). If the signal is weak, then the phone has to work harder to maintain connection (also bad for battery).

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Another thought...I see maps with a pretty high number. Do you have GPS turned on? That will increase the battery usage if it's turned on...especially if you're in a large building where it can't connect to the satellites. If you turn GPS off when not using it, then Maps shouldn't run in the background like that as much.

People will tell you that wifi and bluetooth will kill your battery, but they really don't. If you're not in wifi or bluetooth range of anything, then those radios just go dormant. They go active when they encounter a signal. The cell radios are a different story. They constantly ping the towers to talk to the network. If they don't find a tower, they crank and crank until they do (bad for battery). If the signal is weak, then the phone has to work harder to maintain connection (also bad for battery).

Hasn't there been something said about cell standby reporting a high usage sometimes but it was really incorrect reporting? Am I remembering that correctly?

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Hasn't there been something said about cell standby reporting a high usage sometimes but it was really incorrect reporting? Am I remembering that correctly?

Not sure. I remember seeing something about some stat incorrectly reporting, but I don't remember which one. But with my phone, it's directly related to signal strength. If I forget to connect to wifi at work, the battery drains like a demon because of the low LTE signal strength. And Cell Standby is really high in the list.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure. I remember seeing something about some stat incorrectly reporting, but I don't remember which one. But with my phone, it's directly related to signal strength. If I forget to connect to wifi at work, the battery drains like a demon because of the low LTE signal strength. And Cell Standby is really high in the list.

That for sure will do it. Would be good to see some screenshots of the OP's battery, especially the Summary to see how the signal looks.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Something I just found reading a thread online and I've disabled all of this stuff. Seems this person was having a huge batter drain and it was showing standby as a problem.

They said they disabled the following:

1) Samsung Apps - This is the Samsung app store, I also removed my account from the phone, so it doesn't exist in 'Accounts & sync'.
2) Samsung Backup - Not too sure, but presumably a backup method that I don't use as stopping it has had no effect on the phone.
3) Samsung cloud data relay - Not too sure, but presumably a cloud storage method that I don't use as stopping it has had no effect on the phone.
4) Samsung Push service - This is to notify you of updates for Samsung Apps installed on your device via the Samsung App Store

Now myself, I disabled those things above and all the Samsung stuff in my apps.

hoonigandad

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Yep! It can be normal. ..it really depends on your network your on and signal strength. ..I plan on getting a battery phone case soon to alleviate this issue. It more than doubles the battery life

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

xamberx101

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site

Actually, i DO have it turned off, I even had the program disabled! and its still says its on my battery life. And its not sporadic, its everyday. Drains in about 9-10 hrs without doing ANYthing on it. not normal... im taking it to at&t tomorrow

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually, i DO have it turned off, I even had the program disabled! and its still says its on my battery life. And its not sporadic, its everyday. Drains in about 9-10 hrs without doing ANYthing on it. not normal... im taking it to at&t tomorrow

There are a couple of things you can run first if you want, before trading the phone in, they will send a refurbished one.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams