Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Have AT&T flash Jelly Bean or wait for the OTA?

I'm getting my FOURTH phone in 2 months, this week. My first had nothing wrong with it, there was an issue with the network, knew it was. I wasn't the only one with the problem and I only had it at my house, as did everyone that came to my house. Well they wouldn't start a network ticket and do the minor checking about where I was connecting, etc, until I traded my phone out. Well, each time I traded it out, there was something wrong with it, this time, the wifi and I had enough.

Now the retention department is shipping me a NIB phone. I'm not doing another Kies update, not gonna. I have a Device Tech Center about 30 mins away from me, they can flash it on there. If my phone doesn't get the OTA update the day I get the phone, should I wait for the OTA or have it flashed?

Is there a good reason to do one or the other, specifically or should it not make a difference either way?

Default Re: Have AT&T flash Jelly Bean or wait for the OTA?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    I'm getting my FOURTH phone in 2 months, this week. My first had nothing wrong with it, there was an issue with the network, knew it was. I wasn't the only one with the problem and I only had it at my house, as did everyone that came to my house. Well they wouldn't start a network ticket and do the minor checking about where I was connecting, etc, until I traded my phone out. Well, each time I traded it out, there was something wrong with it, this time, the wifi and I had enough.

Now the retention department is shipping me a NIB phone. I'm not doing another Kies update, not gonna. I have a Device Tech Center about 30 mins away from me, they can flash it on there. If my phone doesn't get the OTA update the day I get the phone, should I wait for the OTA or have it flashed?

Is there a good reason to do one or the other, specifically or should it not make a difference either way?
    I did mine OTA without any issues. I don't know if there is any difference between the two. Good luck.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

OTA is available via WiFi right now. As I have said numerous times, uninstall anti-virus on the phone, disable firewall on the computer, and to be safe, uninstall any extra keyboards and launchers from the phone prior to doing the update. Once the update is in place you can put these back on.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Maybe I was lucky, but I didn't uninstall or disable anything; just did the OTA download about five days ago, both on my S3 and my wife's S3. Both S3's now have JB and, so far, no issues of any sort.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    OTA is available via WiFi right now. As I have said numerous times, uninstall anti-virus on the phone, disable firewall on the computer, and to be safe, uninstall any extra keyboards and launchers from the phone prior to doing the update. Once the update is in place you can put these back on.