Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Photon4glover
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GS3 battery issues

Okay so my battery is getting worse and worse I've had the phone for about a week. Bought it oft eBay. Now to the point. today it lasted about 5 hours of light use. Played a few rounds of bike race that was it. I have the free version of juice defender, power saving enabled, and screen brightness on about 35%. And I was on wifi with 4g turned off and sync and GPS off. I am running 4.1.1. Check out the pics not sure if they will help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS3 battery issues-screenshot_2013-01-21-12-47-58.png   GS3 battery issues-screenshot_2013-01-21-12-48-03.png  

Default Re: GS3 battery issues

Uninstall task killer! That doesn't help your battery because phone has to keep reopening apps... Your phone can manage apps especially with 2gb.. Try that and report back

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    makaroni and pontiac005 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon4glover View Post
    Uninstall task killer! That doesn't help your battery because phone has to keep reopening apps... Your phone can manage apps especially with 2gb.. Try that and report back

I got loud with att and they sent me a new phone but not a battery. Gay. I have everything reinstalled except juice defender and task killer and my phone with data off GPS off and screen 1/4 brightness I'm at 93% withreally no use after an hour and a half 36% cell standby 23% screen. Is that what I should be getting? What is the average discharge you get with use over an hour

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by samnich; 01-24-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by samnich View Post
    I got loud with att and they sent me a new phone but not a battery. Gay. I have everything reinstalled except juice defender and task killer and my phone with data off GPS off and screen 1/4 brightness I'm at 93% withreally no use after an hour and a half 36% cell standby 23% screen. Is that what I should be getting? What is the average discharge you get with use over an hour
    It depends a lot on how good the signal is where you are. Plus, typically, although the phone will say 100% after you unplug the charger, it's probably a little under that and you'll see the number drop to 97% or 98% within a couple minutes.

When I'm connected to wifi (that turns off mobile data) and there are about 2 bars of cell/voice service, I burn about 2.5% an hour. If you're not on wifi, expect that burn rate to go up unless you're right next to a tower. LTE towers burn your battery faster than HSPA towers. Finally, if you have any apps that poll on a regular basis (email, facebook, twitter, etc.), that will use a little bit.

Say your starting point was actually 98% when you unplugged it, that means you burned about 5% in an hour and a half...that's around 3 to 3.5% an hour. If your cell service is weak-to-mediocre and you're not connected to wifi, then this burn rate seems perfectly reasonable. If you have GPS turned on, that could contribute, too. Make sure you turn that off when not in use.

And I agree with Photo4glover about the app killer. Don't install those: they're completely unnecessary and could do more harm than good (Android 2.1 and older had a tough time letting go of programs, that's why all those task killers exist.)

Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKen View Post
    It depends a lot on how good the signal is where you are. Plus, typically, although the phone will say 100% after you unplug the charger, it's probably a little under that and you'll see the number drop to 97% or 98% within a couple minutes.

When I'm connected to wifi (that turns off mobile data) and there are about 2 bars of cell/voice service, I burn about 2.5% an hour. If you're not on wifi, expect that burn rate to go up unless you're right next to a tower. LTE towers burn your battery faster than HSPA towers. Finally, if you have any apps that poll on a regular basis (email, facebook, twitter, etc.), that will use a little bit.

Say your starting point was actually 98% when you unplugged it, that means you burned about 5% in an hour and a half...that's around 3 to 3.5% an hour. If your cell service is weak-to-mediocre and you're not connected to wifi, then this burn rate seems perfectly reasonable. If you have GPS turned on, that could contribute, too. Make sure you turn that off when not in use.

And I agree with Photo4glover about the app killer. Don't install those: they're completely unnecessary and could do more harm than good (Android 2.1 and older had a tough time letting go of programs, that's why all those task killers exist.)
    Okay thank you both. Still not happy with the battery life but I'll see how it plays out. I love the phone though. I'm coming from an iPhone 4 so I was spoiled when it came to battery life. Thanks for all the input.

Are there any apps to limit how often if at all you allow apps to pull data

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

A while back I installed juice defender and noticed my power took a nosedive (an oxymoron, I know). Uninstalled and it went away. I have Advanced Task Killer installed and have never experienced battery drain from it. I would think it requires much less power to reopen apps than those open apps constantly polling towers. Once a day I clear out RAM to recover memory that is hogged by background apps, and notice as many as 44 apps are killed at once, freeing up as much as 700MB of RAM! I also regularly use AAK manually to kill those background apps, and have the kill frequency set to its highest.
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by samnich View Post
    Okay thank you both. Still not happy with the battery life but I'll see how it plays out. I love the phone though. I'm coming from an iPhone 4 so I was spoiled when it came to battery life. Thanks for all the input.

Are there any apps to limit how often if at all you allow apps to pull data
    Many of those apps have that right in their settings. For example, Facebook has a Refresh Interval setting that you can set to 4 hours or never. Most Twitter and email apps have a similar function where you can set how often they check for new messages/tweets.
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Voliam View Post
    A while back I installed juice defender and noticed my power took a nosedive (an oxymoron, I know). Uninstalled and it went away. I have Advanced Task Killer installed and have never experienced battery drain from it. I would think it requires much less power to reopen apps than those open apps constantly polling towers. Once a day I clear out RAM to recover memory that is hogged by background apps, and notice as many as 44 apps are killed at once, freeing up as much as 700MB of RAM! I also regularly use AAK manually to kill those background apps, and have the kill frequency set to its highest.
    The problem with task killers is not that they eat up battery. The problem is that they force processes to quit and could potentially bork up your phone because it expects something to finish that never finishes. It could potentially send the processor into a tailspin, heating up the phone and draining the battery. If this happens, rebooting the phone is the only way to reset everything.

All those processes going on in the background are happening for a reason. If you kill them in the middle, you can corrupt their files and lock up ram that's dedicated to them. Eclair and older versions of Android (that's 2.1 and older)...and possibly even Froyo (2.2)...had issues with not releasing apps or killing unnecessary processes. Those issues were resolved with Gingerbread (2.3), making the task killers unnecessary. When the phone needs ram, it kills the processes that it can, and kills them safely.

Although using a task killer hasn't yet caused you any problems, it's safe to say that it will eventually bite you in the you-know-what. Bottom line: the risk associated with task killers far outweighs any potential benefit.

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

Related question: Under settings>developer options>do not keep activities I've been thinking about turning this on to save battery since sometimes I will forget and leave chrome or some other hog running and suck the battery flat. Good idea?

Last week, I experienced rapid battery drain. I'm trying a few things. Someone on another forum suggested to turn off instant upload to Picassa. Another suggested to drain the battery to 0% and recharge while the phone is off. I pulled the battery and reseated. I've done these and will see how the phone behaves over the next few days. I've also turned off the 4G LTE data while at home and use my wifi. I really don't like that I will have to turn put the phone on battery saver and turn off data while at home. It's like crippling the capabilities of the phone. I feel that I should be able to use the phone and take advantage of its features.

I also read that the stock Samsung batteries are not very good. People have had better battery life with some that you can buy off of Amazon.

Below are are some screenshots with the data turned off. As you can see, the battery life has been lasting much longer. Before, with the data turned on, even while I did nothing, the battery drained. I had it charged before I went to bed, and when I woke up, it was at 40%.

Update 1/28/13:

For one day this weekend, I had the data turned on. The battery did well, lasting ~ 44 hrs before requiring a recharge. However, I went to work today, and when I got home, the battery was about 40-50%. I experienced rapid drain again once I got home. WTF??? I'm very frustrated. Not sure what's going on. I didn't change any settings. Not sure if it's a hardware or software issue, settings, something sucking the power at home????? Maybe the switch from 4G LTE on my commute home to my home router has something to do with it.
    Last edited by Shawn Magm; 01-29-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Yesterday, I deleted my Samsung Account, disabled all the Samsung apps as someone suggested on another forum. It doesn't seem to help my situation.

Again, I experienced the same issue when arriving home. I restarted the phone and the problem resolved. However, this annoying that I'll have to do this each day when I get home. I am hoping this does not happen at other locations. So far, since I've had this phone, I've really been only at home and at work.

I called AT&T warranty to see about getting a replacement. They will be sending me another battery, although I don't really expect this to resolve the problem. I was told that if this does not work, the next step may be to replace the phone.
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Magm View Post
    Yesterday, I deleted my Samsung Account, disabled all the Samsung apps as someone suggested on another forum. It doesn't seem to help my situation.

Again, I experienced the same issue when arriving home. I restarted the phone and the problem resolved. However, this annoying that I'll have to do this each day when I get home. I am hoping this does not happen at other locations. So far, since I've had this phone, I've really been only at home and at work.

I called AT&T warranty to see about getting a replacement. They will be sending me another battery, although I don't really expect this to resolve the problem. I was told that if this does not work, the next step may be to replace the phone.
    I can't tell if this is the plummet issue or not because it looks like the rapid drain is steady and is already occurring when you unplug your phone from the charger. Do you charge overnight? Try turning the phone OFF while you charge, then start it up when you take it off the charger.

When the plummet happens to me, it's when I'm in an LTE area and connected to wifi. From the sounds of it, you could be in a similar scenario. Try turning off the phone for charging and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKen View Post
    I can't tell if this is the plummet issue or not because it looks like the rapid drain is steady and is already occurring when you unplug your phone from the charger. Do you charge overnight? Try turning the phone OFF while you charge, then start it up when you take it off the charger.

When the plummet happens to me, it's when I'm in an LTE area and connected to wifi. From the sounds of it, you could be in a similar scenario. Try turning off the phone for charging and see if that helps.
    The above screenshots show that my battery is discharging at a reasonable rate. This is after turning the phone off and recharging while the phone is off. Kind of like rebooting the phone.

My issue is the extreme battery drain when I get home from work, and only when I get home from work. While at work, the battery holds steady. The phone switches from mobile data during my commute to my home wifi. While I'm at home, I notice the battery percentage rapidly decreasing. If I reboot the phone, it appears that the problem resolves. However, I don't want to have to reboot the phone each time I get home. The S3 is supposed to be one of the top phones currently, and this issue is maddening. My iPhone 3G never had this problem.

I charge overnite. But I keep it on b/c I use my phone as my alarm. I am in an LTE area at home, but I use wifi. I tried turning off mobile data at home, but the drop still occurs. Again, rebooting seems to help.

I also added Juice Defender today, but it didn't appear to help.

not need i use that too my battery life was decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Photon4glover View Post