Power off question

crausch

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the S3 with Jelly Bean 4.1 and I love it. When I turn off my phone I usually press and hold the phones power button on the right side until a window pops up giving me several options (Power off, airplane mode, silent, etc.). When I press the "Power off" option to shutdown the phone, another dialog displays "Your device will shutdown" with buttons for Cancel or Ok.

This seems very redundant to me, so is there any way to disable the second dialog so that it powers off the first time?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so.. Unless you rooted and put on a new ROM.

It may be redundant but they put it there in case you didn't mean to hit power off (such as maybe you meant to hit airplane mode or whatever). Majority of devices now a days has a notification you must answer to turn off a device... Or like the iPhone where it has the slide bar.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

crausch

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Bummer... it reminds me of windows applications that when you go to quit, they ask you if you really want to quit? As if my cursor would have wandered way up to the right hand corner of the window and clicked the little "X" by mistake. - LOL

I understand what you are saying about why it is there, I just wish it was optional. If I only had to click once to turn it off and I accidently did not mean to do it, then I would just be a little more careful the next time. I guess it is just the new way of software, the apps try to think for us.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
As stated, it is there so you do not accidentally shut off the device and possibly corrupt personal or system data/files that may be in use.

The same reason that a usb stick is supposed to be "ejected" by the os before manually removing it from the port.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't find it all that annoying. Now Vista sucked for that. With Windows 7 and 8 you can disable the UAC

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
When i had my iphone jailbroke it had that tweak to allow that
Reboot, respring and pwr down. I enjoyed that feature so hearing that the S3 has it makes me want the phone even more

Just saying my .02?